What Should Be Included in Next Version of RRT. Should There Be One.

Discussion of anything, within reason (no politics or religion, please).
IOwnTheWorld1994
Cat

What Should Be Included in Next Version of RRT. Should There Be One. Unread post

Well I personally believe we need a whole new makeover with the Railroad Tycoon Series or any train game that isn't a simulator for that matter. Start from scratch and get input from the people who could potentially buy the game would do great wonders. The locomotives are not released with their actual commencement dates. I've seen a 2-8-2 released in 1918 but the first 2-8-2 in America was built in 1902. The Challenger was released in 1942 but was built at least a decade earlier. The Big boy was released in 1941 but RT3 has it for 1945 and running into the 1960s. Forcing railroads to update their locomotives or face stiff penalties and losses would make them want to update their equipment to keep up with other companies and save money and not be reckless with it. Bigger cities and towns would also be of great help. I like the setup of RT2 where you actually have choices of what kind of cargo you want to ship. Normally you make money by hauling the type of cargo that cities supply and taking it to other cities because they'll usually demand just about anything or loading your train with what other cities demand because you'll make even more money and it'll tell you just how much of each commodity it requires. I also don't like having to put the dining car in the back of the train. I don't like having it as the last rail car in the consist and being forced to have caboose on the rear of the train. I like the consist setup of RT2. If we can get a game with accurate releases of when locomotives released, having as many locomotives possible, improved rail structures, better consist management, improved merger setups and executions, better local mass transit, rail networking and supply chain management, superior routing, while having a strategic type game plan, with emphasis on expansion of rail networks, finance, and competition with other railroads. If we can get all of those things into a single game, then we could have a major seller that could outsell a lot of these games that are out right now and that's a fact.
Shamough
Conductor

Re: What Should Be Included in Next Version of RRT. Should There Be One. Unread post

Simply put there is ZERO ROI for a new RRT game or version.

With the plethora of lousy railroad simulations driving the avid railroad gamers to buying their own short lines. That doesn't leave too much cash on the table to buy the next best lousy railroad simulation.
Card carrying member of the original RailRoad Flat Earth Society.

If it ain't flat it ain't flat enough!
Lone Cat
Brakeman

Re: What Should Be Included in Next Version of RRT. Should There Be One. Unread post

If the efforts to build the new RT3 patches next to the 1.06 consumes significantly less efforts and time than building the the new one then go for it.
Otherwise do the new RRT style game.. keeping the best features of the RT3 while adding some features
1. Game begins in 1800 (roughly with the beginning of Liverpool & Manchester Railway in England), first engine should be Thumb thumb vertical boiler and Pennydarren - Last Engine in 2100
1. Longer trains. 12-24 cars max.
2. R&D. the research point should be earned by experiences rather than chornology. I.E. How 4-2-0 'Jervis' type engine comes to exists without the deficiency of the existing British imports made by The Sthephensons? Also the bigger freight cars are subjected to this.
3. Railmotors for passenger services.
4. possibily to build four-track upgrades as well as 'High Speed' track engineering
5. Bridges
5.1 There will be four rather than three: Wooden Trestle, Masonry Viaduct, Steel bridge, and Reinforced Ferrocrete
5.2 Each can be upgraded directly by clicking at any bridges
6. Terrain leveling should also be done by the track laying process. bridging and tunnelling should be made if the game engine considered that terrain levelling is not possible.
7. Tracks and Buildings take time to build, rather than pops out of nowhere. yet this should not prevent non-continious track buildings if permitted.
8. Four station sizes.. small, medium, large, and Extra Large... Service tower and engine shed should also be built as station upgrades as well as to be built on the roadways
Shamough
Conductor

The following is a list of my ideas:
http://www.hawkdawg.com/forums/viewtopi ... =36&t=3771

Guess what ... I'm way late in the upgrade game:
http://www.hawkdawg.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=141
& the whole upgrade topic:
http://www.hawkdawg.com/forums/viewforum.php?

And these are the ones on Hawk's site. There are probably more elsewhere.

The problem is where are we going to find 4-6 programmers willing to spend the next 2-4 years working on a project without any chance of earning a dime for their efforts.

Shamough/Hans
Card carrying member of the original RailRoad Flat Earth Society.

If it ain't flat it ain't flat enough!
Lone Cat
Brakeman

^ Wait! you're talking about the new RT3 patch. will you add more types of cargo? (for example.. Flour / bread, cannery)