RRT II versus RRT III... Any opions?

Discussion of anything, within reason (no politics or religion, please).
thegrindre
Engineer

RRT II versus RRT III... Any opions? Unread post

I've just installed the RRT 3 demo and am not sure I like it better then RRT 2.
I also re-installed my RRT 2 Platinum which I haven't played in years.

I guess the real question is, should I buy RRT3 or stick with RRT2? Is RRT3 that much better? The reviews/previews say it isn't. What's your opinion?
a.k.a. Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...
acorn_farmer_84
Brakeman

Unread post

well, i have only played the demo of RRT2,
and prefer rrt3,
the 2 mian tings i prefer about rrt3 are:
-in full 3-d, with better graphics.
-the suto consist feature, so i can just get the trains running, and they chose their cargo themself.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

I like them both for different reasons. They both have their good and bad points.
BTW! I just saw RRT3 at Circuit City yesterday for $9.95. Well worth that price. :wink:
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Unread post

I prefer RT3. Haven't played RT2 in years. I like the graphics and the auto consist, as mentioned by danielches. It take a while to learn the finer points of tracklaying, and how to best utilize the economic model, but all in all a much funner game than RT2. I often find myself "hitchin' a ride" on a train and forget to pay attention to the game. :oops:
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

I often find myself "hitchin' a ride" on a train
Now there's a feature you might like grindre. :wink:
Hawk
Zoso
Hobo

Unread post

I just felt like RRT3 pretty much played itself. I didn't like how product was done compared to RRT2.
canis39
Brakeman

Unread post

Actually, I'd like to ask the converse...as a big RRT3 fan, should I pick up RRT2 Platinum and check it out? Has anyone else started with RRT3 and then gone backwards? Other than the graphics, are there any other things RRT3 does better than RRT2 that I will miss? (Auto-consists aren't a problem, since I use custom consists in RRT3).
thegrindre
Engineer

Unread post

OK, I'm sold. At $9.95, I can't go wrong and I can ride 'em. WOW!

@canis39; One of my problems with playin' RRT2 is the consists. They are way to complicated for me to keep up with and you have to 'make a train' for every city's demands and supplies. It's much to involved for my liking.

Thanks, guys... :D
a.k.a. Rick

StevenB
Hobo

Unread post

I like both programs but prefer RT3.

IMHO, RT3 made some significant improvements in the Industry Model. For example:
Industry does not instantly create processed goods
The purchase cost increases or decreases with the success of the industry
The amount of raw material generated by a source increases as the local price increases
The industry may be upgraded

RT3 also supports tunnels, though not the easist model to live with.
I also prefer the RT3 economy, despite it's faults

Again IMHO, RT2 had some features I miss:
The ability to hire managers that affect various aspects of your operations
The build versus run trains option in the territories
The restriction that cash was required to start a new company instead of just purchasing power (cuts down on some exploits).
I also liked the various station upgrades better in RT2 (though I liked how RT3 let you put them on the real landscape)

StevenB
Ma & Pa RR: 77 miles, 476 curves
Cliff
Watchman

Unread post

The main thing I liked about RRT2 vs RRT3 was that you could build tracks exactly as you wanted -- double, triple tracks with numerous x'overs. With RRT3 the track-laying is "sticky" (i.e., the track wants to immediately join to a nearby track), so it is nearly impossible to lay double track -- unless you separate the tracks by a couple of miles.

The main thing I like about RRT3 vs RRT2 is the auto-consist. In many of the RRT2 games I found myself stopping EVERY train at EVERY station to check/change the consist. I got real tired of such micro-managing, so welcomed the auto-consist feature of RRT3. In RRT3 I can still build a custom consist, if I wish, but I don't have to worry about every single train at every single station.

-- Cliff in Virginia
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Unread post

Cliff wrote:The main thing I liked about RRT2 vs RRT3 was that you could build tracks exactly as you wanted -- double, triple tracks with numerous x'overs. With RRT3 the track-laying is "sticky" (i.e., the track wants to immediately join to a nearby track), so it is nearly impossible to lay double track -- unless you separate the tracks by a couple of miles.
If you zoom in all the way, you can usually add a short section of track within a few cells of the original. You can then extend the track in either direction.
thegrindre
Engineer

Unread post

That, Cliff, is my problem... micro managing every train. I can't keep up with it all. If I get up to a half dozen trains and a few dozen stations, I'm totally lost. :cry:
a.k.a. Rick