No You Can't Ride In The Vestibule_Please Take Your Seat

Discussion of anything, within reason (no politics or religion, please).
wsherrick
Engineer

No You Can't Ride In The Vestibule_Please Take Your Seat Unread post

Some one sent me this shot from a recent excursion on the old Reading Perkiomen Line. "William the Grumpy Conductor," Sometimes I am not in the cab and on special occasions get to work among the populace.
wsherrick
Engineer

Unread post

Here are a few shots of the Train that we ran from Pennsburg to Vera Cruz, PA. These are Reading FP7's that were used as power for these trips.

Hope you enjoy the shots :lol:
wsherrick
Engineer

Unread post

wsherrick
Engineer

Unread post

Hawk, I remember that you said you liked E and F units so I thought you would enjoy these photos. :)
Knave
Conductor

Unread post

Those are fine looking f-units. The transportation museum outside Palmer, Alaska has some f-units from the Alaska railroad that they keep operational. They are not as fine as the unit in your photos. They are not used in excursion service, but get to run up and down 300 feet of siding.

That is quite the uniform. This being halloween I find myself a little envious. I don't have it in me to do what you have to do to get the watch.Thanks for sharing.
Never, Never, Never give up. Winston Churchill
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Yep! The old E and F units are my favorites. That's what I grew up with for the most part.
Even rode one (the Super Chief) from Chicago to L.A. once back in the early 60's, and again in the late 60's.
Good looking engine. Thanks for posting the shots.
I saw the first shot before but for some reason I didn't realize that was you. :oops:
Hawk
Knave
Conductor

Unread post

The red brick cylinder in the one photo, Was that once the base for a water tank??
Never, Never, Never give up. Winston Churchill
wsherrick
Engineer

Unread post

I'm glad you like the uniform, and the pictures of the FP7 units. The brick structure you see in the second photo is indeed the remains of a water tank. Steam was used on this line (Reading Perkiomen Branch) until the mid-late 50's. The tank was wooden and is long gone. Once anthracite burning Camel Backs slacked their thirst here on their way up the grade over South Mountain which divides the Perkiomen Valley from the Lehigh Valley. This tank dates from the 19th century and it is interesting how the Reading designed it. It was filled by gravity from a cistern higher up on the mountain. Every time a locomotive was filled here a float dropped in the tank, opening a valve which allowed the water to flow in from the cistern until the level raised the float back up to close the inlet valve when the tank was full. No energy other than gravity was needed. I wonder if we would be as smart in designing something like that today?
Ace of Spades
Hobo

Unread post

I saw a remnant of a water tower just like that on a recent train excursion from Port Clinton to Jim Thorpe.
wsherrick
Engineer

Unread post

I was going to go on that trip, but they didn't have the steam engine ready in time. Next year perhaps. There is a good possibility that I may be working on their engine once they get it up and running. It is a beautiful route. Speaking of water tanks, I don't have a picture of it, but on the Bethlehem branch south of Quakertown there is a huge wooden water tank yet standing all intact. Waiting in solemn dignity, in vain for tenders to fill up. The next time I run that line I might take a picture of it if anybody wants to see it.
wsherrick
Engineer

Unread post

Here I am in my other uniform at the throttle. Doing what I like best, working a steam engine upgrade
wsherrick
Engineer

Unread post

Some asked me to put up this last picture. I have a shoe box full of memories. I hope you don't mind me sharing them with you.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

wsherrick wrote:Some asked me to put up this last picture. I have a shoe box full of memories. I hope you don't mind me sharing them with you.
Not at all. Share whatever you like. :D
Hawk
Ace of Spades
Hobo

Unread post

wsherrick wrote:The next time I run that line I might take a picture of it if anybody wants to see it.
Of course we want to see it!! :D

I would've liked to ride the steam train too...oh well. Like you said...Maybe next year.

I did take a short ride on a steam train up at Steamtown last Friday. That's the only time I've ever ridden steam (but hopefully not the last!)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

I was at Steamtown in August. Great place.
You can see some pictures I took in the Photos section of my site, under the heading - 'Ridin Around'. :D
Hawk
Ace of Spades
Hobo

Unread post

Saw your pics, Hawk. Pretty cool. May be I'll post some of mine. Steamtown is a pretty cool place. You don't realize how huge the UP Big Boy is until you stand next to it. That is one boss piece of steel.

Railroading is in my blood...My grandfather, great-grandfather, & ggg-grandfather all worked for the Reading RR. Being at a place like Steamtown almost makes me feel like I'm "home".

Sorry for the ramble..... :)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Ramble on my friend. :D
If you have a lot of pictures, I have plenty of room at my site for them, if you'd like someplace to permanently show them. :wink:
Hawk
thegrindre
Engineer

Unread post

F units are my favorites, too. :D Great shots, man... :wink:
a.k.a. Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...
wsherrick
Engineer

Re: No You Can't Ride In The Vestibule_Please Take Your Seat Unread post

Here are some more pictures from my shoe box of memories. These are some of the Locomotives I have run in my life. I can't find a picture of the J Class 611, I know it's around someplace.
The, &quot;coal god,&quot; (me) hard at work, there's no such thing as a fat steam locomotive fireman!!!!<br />Click on image to view full size
The, "coal god," (me) hard at work, there's no such thing as a fat steam locomotive fireman!!!!
Click on image to view full size
The biggest engine I ever worked on the mighty N&amp;W class A.  This is in Knoxville I can't remember the year, I was too tired!!!<br />Click on image to view full size
The biggest engine I ever worked on the mighty N&W class A. This is in Knoxville I can't remember the year, I was too tired!!!
C&amp;O Berkshire No. 2785 in Harlan Kentucky, 1991<br />Click on image to view full size
C&O Berkshire No. 2785 in Harlan Kentucky, 1991
The first engine I ever ran No. 4501 shown here leaving Knoxville in October 1985<br />Click on image to view full size
The first engine I ever ran No. 4501 shown here leaving Knoxville in October 1985
Last edited by wsherrick on Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
wsherrick
Engineer

Re: No You Can't Ride In The Vestibule_Please Take Your Seat Unread post

Here are a few more.
Another mighty locomotive the Texas &amp; Pacific 2-10-4 in route to Onieda TN.<br />Click on the image to view full size
Another mighty locomotive the Texas & Pacific 2-10-4 in route to Onieda TN.
Click on the image to view full size
We pose for a picture on a 105 degree day, that's a 20 some thing year old me in the middle.<br />Click on the image to view full size
We pose for a picture on a 105 degree day, that's a 20 some thing year old me in the middle.
Me at the throttle of NH&amp;I No 40 in 2006<br />Click on the image to view full size
Me at the throttle of NH&I No 40 in 2006
No. 17 pulling cars off of the interchange on a cold windy day in 1982, this was taken after my argument with the conductor<br />Click on the image to view full size
No. 17 pulling cars off of the interchange on a cold windy day in 1982, this was taken after my argument with the conductor
A News paper photographer catching me in an argument with a stubborn old freight conductor.<br />Click on the image to view full size
A News paper photographer catching me in an argument with a stubborn old freight conductor.