Fallen Flag Poll

Discussion of anything, within reason (no politics or religion, please).

What is your favorite (eastern) fallen flag railroad?

New York Central RR

2(7%)
Erie Lackawanna RR

2(7%)
Lehigh Valley RR

5(18%)
Pennsylvania RR

4(14%)
Penn Central RR

1(4%)
Central New Jersey RR

No votes
Delaware & Hudson RR

No votes
Baltimore & Ohio RR

12(43%)
Western Maryland RR

No votes
Reading RR

2(7%)

Total votes: 28

MrScott2007

Fallen Flag Poll Unread post

I thought I'd test the polls.

I tried to list all the major railroads of the northeast only.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

I voted for the B&O but the one I wanted to vote for wasn't there, 'course I guess it wasn't Northeast. :wink:
Hawk
thegrindre
Engineer

Unread post

I'm with you, Hawk. The Soo Line is my favorite but B&O was a good choice here... :D
a.k.a. Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...
EPH
Dispatcher

Unread post

The one I wanted wasn't here either - that would be the GM&O.
The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Unread post

Mine wasn't there either : Michigan Central Railroad
StevenB
Hobo

Unread post

Of the ones listed, I voted for the B&O. I think if it were there, I would have voted for the Maryland & Pennsylvania (MA & PA). A meandering little line that went 77 track miles to join Baltimore with York, PA; cities that are only about 40 some miles apart.
StevenB
MrScott2007

Unread post

It would be neat if I could list all railroads just to see the results, but I don't know if the poll would let me have so many options.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

I think the poll options setting is 10, but I also think that can be changed. I'll take a look.
Hawk
davey917
Hobo

Unread post

Being origionally from Maryland, the choice is almost obvious. But I had to pick the B&O. How can you go wrong with the first?

PS:
StevenB...how about the PW&B? That was the name on the station in the town I grew up in.
That's Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore; which later was merged into the Pennsy.
Eb Zane
Watchman

Unread post

Coming from the town where the B&O first reached the Ohio mine was an ez pick

Eb
A. A. Milne (1882 - 1956)
The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
conomark
Hobo

Unread post

It was a tough choice for me between Erie-Lackawanna, Pennsylvania, and Reading as they were all considered local for me at one time. When it comes down to it I chose Erie-Lackawanna because of the Phoebe Snow.
Canadian Viking
Brakeman

Unread post

This is a tough one because I'm a big fan of the Lehigh Valley (it got my vote), the D&H, B&O and Lackawanna (but not the Erie). And that is in spite of a conscious choice to focus more on northwestern railroads than eastern ones!
Ace of Spades
Hobo

Unread post

Couldn't be any other choice for me but the Reading.
proudcanadian
Conductor

Unread post

I voted for the B & O as well, but my favorite is the Algoma Central Railway, which ran north from the Sault to the CNR Line at Hearst. It was taken over by the Wisconsin Central a couple of years ago, and fell to CN when they took over WC.
I don't drive a dogsled to work, I don't live in an igloo, and we're the SECOND LARGEST COUNTRY ON EARTH!!!
WPandP
Engineer

Unread post

We got a lot of folks partial to B&O it seems! I voted for them too, because they are sort of like the parent road that put my fictional shortline WP&P up for adoption; I model this line as if it were a Norfolk & Western property, but there's trace elements of B&O in the WP&P story. I've done a decent amount of research on the B&O, especially its West End climb out of Cumberland. But truly, my heart belongs to the mighty N&W!
=Winchester, Paston & Portsmouth=
====== We Provide Pride! ======