Vista Vs Ubuntu

Discussion of anything, within reason (no politics or religion, please).
thegrindre
Engineer

Unread post

Ya, good idea, danielches, start a new thread about this thing... !*th_up*! I've always been interested, too. :D
a.k.a. Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

I haven't downloaded anything yet. Been a little busy this weekend with out-of-town guests.
Do I understand right that with Wubi you get 4 different environments? Is so, can all 4 be installed?
Hawk
besterik
Hobo

Unread post

Hawk:

I am a bit of an idiot! I didn't read danielches post on the first page about WUBI and I had no idea what it was until I recently saw a discussion about it in a chatroom.

It seems that WUBI is a beta program that lets you run Ubuntu directly from Windows, and have it be on the same partition. It is not (yet) officially supported by Ubuntu, and I have no idea of how well it works. I recently bought a second-hand laptop, and I thought that the interface for installing the regular Ubuntu was much better than when I installed the last time on my main computer, and it is really easy to follow what it does. The harder part is if some part isn't automatically installed, or to just learn to use Linux. I don't think that there is any real advantage for WUBI compared to the normal Ubuntu.

My experience is that the absolutely best and safest thing is to use one harddrive for Windows and one for Ubuntu or any other Linux distribution. If you have both OSes on the same HD, then Linux will have to install a special tool (called chainloader or something like that), that let's you choose which OS to use. I have two HDs on my desktop, and if I press ESC during the BIOS bootup, then it will let me manually choose what I want to boot from (if I doesn't press, then it will just boot up the Linux drive), and if I ever want to get rid of either OS, then it is as easy as formatting that HD.

About environments, so can you install as many as you like, and the two most popular are Gnome and KDE, where Gnome is included in the Ubuntu CD and KDE is included in the Kubuntu CD (they take up quite a lot of space, so it wouldn't be possible to have both on the same CD without sacrifacing some other programs, and one key feature of Ubuntu is that it is just one CD with just the most important programs, some other distributions can have up to ten CDs or even more). However it is quite easy to install more than one graphical environment, and then choose which one to use when you log in. I personally thing that Gnome is the prettiest one, but there are lots of opinions about this.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Thanks Erik. I haven't done anything yet, or even downloaded anything yet-but I do like the idea of installing either Ubuntu or Kubuntu instead of Wubi. I like the idea of a separate partition as opposed to just installing into a Windows folder.
I do have 2 hard drives so that is a good option.

I have a question. I have 2 SATA drives installed. What happens if I install an IDE drive? Will that affect the 2 SATA drives? All 3 would be 7200 RPM drives.
Hawk
acorn_farmer_84
Brakeman

Unread post

Hawk,
it would probably be best to put linux and windows on separate hard drives if you have 2,
however if you do that, then you have to set up duel booting yourself (i have no personnel experiance with doing this)
The big advantage of wubi, along with how it creates a partion for linux inside windows,
is that it sets up the duel booting stuff for you,
when you boot up your computer, wubu sets it up so a screen appears asking you what os to use,

Wubi can install ubuntu, or kubuntu, etc (all flavours of ubuntu),
You can have both kde and gnome, and other desktops environments installed on the one computer at the same time,
however you can only USE one at once,

I personally prefer KDE, :)

Wubi is very easy to set up,
(duel booting manually is harder),
The main problem with wubi at the moment is that it does not work properly if you already have multiple partions of that harddrive.

Using ubuntu/kubuntu etc under Wubi is supposed to be exactly the same as using it normally,wubi just installs ubuntu/kubuntu for you, it doe snot alter the ubuntu/kubuntu installation.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

If I download Ubuntu or Kubuntu (so I can try it on a cd first), should I get Version 7.04 or 6.06 LTS?
What is the difference in them?

I downloaded Wubi and I see it's only a 10 MB file. I assume the installation connects to the internet during the installation process.
Hawk
besterik
Hobo

Unread post

Hawk wrote:If I download Ubuntu or Kubuntu (so I can try it on a cd first), should I get Version 7.04 or 6.06 LTS?
What is the difference in them?
The number tells when the version was put together, 7.04 means april this year and 6.06 means june last year (2006). There will normally be a new version every april and october (this is based on the fact that there is a new version of Gnome about every 6 months). The LTS stands for Long-Time Support or something like that, and means that it will be supported longer than normal, and as a part of this was also made to be extra bug-free and was especially designed for companies that doesn't want to do a mayor upgrade of their OS every 6 months. The 7.04 will, since it is newer, support more out-of-the-box, and some programs may be newer, even after all updates (because the newest version requires some mayor updates, that only gets done when you get a new version). I like to have the latest stable version, and would recommend 7.04.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Thnks Erik.
I was lookng at the Long Term Support but you do make a good point on the 7.04 version.
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

What about Anti-Virus and a firewall? Does it use the Windows version or is this something I need to download as an extra program?

I currently run AVG Anti-Virus and the free version of Zone Alarm.
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

I've been playing around with Kubuntu 7.04, running from the cd. I was floored when I checked system resources. After running and checking things out for about 20 or 30 minutes I found out I only had about 46 MB of free memory. I have 1 GB installed.
That's a bit ridiculous. Is that because I'm running from the cd?

I'm going to check out Ubuntu next.
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Well, I broke down and installed Ubuntu using Wubi. I'm typing this post in Ubuntu using Firefox.
I think this OS is going to take a good deal of snooping around and getting used to. :wink:
I need to figure out how to get a spel cheker. :lol:
Hawk
acorn_farmer_84
Brakeman

Unread post

Hawk wrote:I've been playing around with Kubuntu 7.04, running from the cd. I was floored when I checked system resources. After running and checking things out for about 20 or 30 minutes I found out I only had about 46 MB of free memory. I have 1 GB installed.
That's a bit ridiculous. Is that because I'm running from the cd?

I'm going to check out Ubuntu next.
yeah, its because its running from the live cd,

In regards to firewall/antivirus,
you dont need one with linux, (most people don't use one),
(from what i hear linux is pretty much impossible to hack into, and no virus's exist for linux, so if you install a AV, its just to protect windows computers which may be in contact with it,
When you feel like installing them, just search for firewall, and anti-virus in the package manager.
In addition to this, AVG etc makes free versions for linux.

In regard to spell check,
do you mean for firefox?
then check out https://en-gb.add-ons.mozilla.com/en-GB ... tionaries/
(open office already has spell check if thats what you are meaning)

In regard to getting used to it, i think kubuntu is easier to get used to from windows, but your choice, :)

are you using the LTS version, or the newer version?
besterik
Hobo

Unread post

About Anti-Virus: There isn't that many viruses for Linux. Partly because there is less users, and partly because it is safer. The normal Windows-mode for home-users, is to always run as root/admin. Ubuntu dowsn't have a root-account by default, but instead let's you get root-access temporary by starting with the command sudo, after which it asks for your password. This makes it significantly more difficult to make harmful changes to your computer. I don't have an anti-virus program installed for Linux, but I have seen that AVG has a version for Linux (not sure if it is a freeware or payware version or both), but I suspect that it is mostly to prevent to spread along e-mail viruses to other computers.

Firewall: I think that there is some sort of firewall automatically. You could do the Shields Up! tests at http://www.grc.com. All my ports were now marked as stealth, but it could be because of my router. I think that they were marked as closed in the past, when I checked out soon after installing Ubuntu for the first time, so there seems to be some kind of automatic safety. If you want a firewall, then you can start a program called Synaptic and search for firewall. Synaptic is a program that let's you search for and install different (compiled versions of) components/programs and is very practical.

Memory: Yes, I think that this is because you run it from the Live-CD.

Generally: http://www.ubuntuguide.org is a very well-written and simple tutorial for installing programs, multimedia codecs, and general tips.
http://www.ubuntuforums.org probably has the answear to just about any question that you might have, if you manage to search for the right terms and people are very friendly and helpful if you ask a question there.

One very powerful tips, is that if you mark a bit of text and then click on the mouse wheel/middle button, so will the marked text automatically be pasted where you click. This is helpful for the Ubuntugide, where the steps are often given as text to type in a command prompt, and it is very fast to just highlight the text and then middle-click in the terminal/command prompt. I always miss this when I use windows.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Yes, I was talking about a spell check for Firefox. I think I know where to get one. I have it on the Windows version of Firefox.
I'm using the 7.04 version of Ubuntu. I think I'm going to install Kubuntu also and play around with both and see which one I like better. Sure was easy using Wubi. I might even install Xubuntu, but I guess that's for older computers. It might work on my 3rd rig though. :wink:

I haven't been able to get email running out of the box but I believe I'll figure it out.

I didn't think about checking with grc.com. I'll have to do that.
Thanks for the Ubuntu links Erik. :)

I'm using a Logitch Trackball mouse and I haven't found anything for it yet so a few of the features don't work. It has 4 buttons I can program, plus the ball, but I guess I'll need to find some Linux drivers for it, I hope. I don't think I can go back to a regular mouse anymore I'm so used to a trackball. My other computer has a Micro$oft Intellimouse Trackball.

Edit 1: Got email working. :D
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Well, I've had my runs through Ubuntu and Kubuntu. I learned a little about Wubi in the process which may or may not be of interest here.

I installed Ubuntu with Wubi and then I wanted to try Kubuntu so I download the Wubi.exe file in the Ubuntu environment but apparently Linux doesn't recognize an exe file-so I go back to XP and click on the Wubi.exe file but it wants to uninstall Ubuntu and no option to install Kubuntu.

A little snooping around on the Internet (again, thanks for the links Erik) I found out you can install Kubuntu from within the Ubuntu environment by using Synaptic, which I did. Turns out it doesn't give you a separate environment but installs Kubuntu inside the Ubuntu environment. Not what I wanted.

So-I go back to XP and uninstall the whole kit 'n kaboodle. That's where I'm at now.

I'm going to install Ubuntu next-again-because it seems I like that one better. I hope I can install Konqueror within Ubuntu so I can use it for web development testing 'cause it seems Firefox is the browser of choice for Ubuntu.

Wasn't the above story just interesting as hell y'all? :lol:
Hawk
besterik
Hobo

Unread post

Hawk wrote:A little snooping around on the Internet (again, thanks for the links Erik) I found out you can install Kubuntu from within the Ubuntu environment by using Synaptic, which I did. Turns out it doesn't give you a separate environment but installs Kubuntu inside the Ubuntu environment. Not what I wanted.
Wh would you like to have KDE in a separate environment? It is the text-mode that is the basic one, and both Gnome and KDE are different extensions to it (I guess they could both probably even be seen as extensions to X11). You wouldn't want one Windows-installation for the Classic gray-blue-square Windows Theme and another installation for the newer Designed-By-A-5-Year-Old Theme??? It is not as if one desktop is running inside another, but that you need to select a desktop when you log in (at least in the normal version, not sure exactly how WUBI works).

It is possible to run KDE programs in Gnome without any problems, and I assume the opposite (it was over 2 years since I last had KDE installed). You might have to install some other KDE components, but it will be done automatically if you use Synaptic and it may look a bit out-of-place or ugly.

I use Opera as my normal browser, so it is just up to what you want to use (unless it is IE, but I think that can be done through Wine). Oh, Wine is a program that tries to emulate windows and that can be used to run .exe-files, some works and some doesn't.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Not being familiar with either one, and not knowing anything about them, I wanted to check them both out.
Now that I have I think I prefer Ubuntu.

I read about Wine. I tried to go to the web site a couple of times this morning but I guess they were doing work on the server because the site was down with a message stating why.

I have Opera installed under Windows, as well as Netscape, but I'm not real crazy about either one. I just use them for testing. I am starting to get used to Firefox though. :)
Hawk
acorn_farmer_84
Brakeman

Unread post

Hawk,
if you want a really nice game which if native to linux (and free),
i highly recommend simutrans.
http://www.simutrans.com/
I think i might of mentioned it here ages ago,
basically its a free, improved version of transport tycoon,
anyway, be sure to check it out, :)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Thanks Daniel. I'll check it out.
Did you see the thread I started in the 'PC Pandomania' forum titled 'Ubuntu & I'?

Edit 1: So-How do I install this game? I've looked through the forums and can't find anything describing how.
I downloaded it and unxipped it but when I click on the exe it does nothing.
Hawk
acorn_farmer_84
Brakeman

Unread post

well, if you downloaded the 'stable' version, I dont know, i had the same problem.
I tried out the newest release (not stable) and it worked fine though).

Also, make sure you have moved the executable into the pak folder,
(i find pak 128 to be best, :) )

Make sure you downloaded/extracted BOTH the executable and the pak folders.

Hope that helps,