Close announcement>
If you need to contact an administrator about account activation (or resurrection)
the email address is: admin @ hawkdawg . com (remove the four blank spaces).
The activation emails should hopefully work now (have changed some settings).

Be careful what you print on a color laser printer

Discussion of anything, within reason (no politics or religion, please).
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Be careful what you print on a color laser printer

Unread post by Wolverine@MSU »

Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Be careful what you print on a color laser printer

Unread post by Hawk »

I saw something about that on an episode of CSI but wasn't sure if it was real or not.
I reckon it is. :mrgreen:
Hawk
Penn Minuteman
Hobo

Unread post by Penn Minuteman »

Crean describes the device as a chip located "way in the machine, right near the laser" that embeds the dots when the document "is about 20 billionths of a second" from printing.

"Standard mischief won't get you around it," Crean adds.

Hmmmm I wonder if Crean worked for Diebold too and swore that their electronic voting machines couldn't be hacked.

Of course that statement was true till 3 students at M.I.T. got hold of a Diebold machine and hacked it in less than 30 minutes. Then once they figured it out. They had it down to 3 minutes.

Bet someone out there can hack it if they wanted to.
Gwizz
CEO

Unread post by Gwizz »

Gee, does that mean we can't print American dollars like the Far East does. How are we going to pay our taxes and the national debt.
Last edited by Gwizz on Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ostlandr
Brakeman

Unread post by ostlandr »

I heard that years ago. When affordable high-quality color printers came out, Xerox agreed to bury a tiny unique code in the image somewhere, to identify the machine that made the copies. If you had the right paper you could make scary good fake bills cheaply and easily. My wife was in printing at the time, and worked with these machines, so she got her info right from the Xerox rep.

Concerned? Then follow the advice of the old Chicago 'outfit' and "never put nuttin' in writin' ".
Watch this space for Equus Ferrius Corporation's website! Soon to build biomass fueled steam locomotives, and lease a short line. We're going for it!