Fascinating photos

Discussion of anything, within reason (no politics or religion, please).
thegrindre
Engineer

Fascinating photos Unread post

Thought this was a most interesting log camp.
Analised, in my opinion, I'd say this camp would have to be built right dead on the side of a mountain. The housing is stretched out right next to the tracks and is set on what would normally be known as the 'right of way'.

I find this most fascinating.

Could you imagine what would happen if one of those log chains broke? !*00*! Where's OSHA when you really need it? ^**lylgh ^**lylgh ^**lylgh

I wonder if that's the engineer stopping by the house to take a.....

(0!!0)
a.k.a. Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...
SRV Ron
Hobo

Re: Fascinating photos Unread post

Also note that the log on top is not secured at all.

I believe that the biggest problem is the top heavy loads on temporary narrow gauge track. The Shay locomotive, while having a lot of traction and pulling power, were very slow traveling about 15 mph max.

The temporary camp housing, built with slab and batten exteriors and highly flammable ceder shingles, were heated with wood potbelly stoves using rolled sheet metal chimneys. With a rain cap and no spark screens, it would be easy to have a fire started on the roof by flying embers.

OSHA? You got hurt, you no longer had a job. There was no health care either. Many an injured logger in Michigan ended up at Bay City's Mercy Hospital where they received free care provided by the sponsoring Catholic Church and the convent built next doors.
thegrindre
Engineer

SRV Ron wrote:Also note that the log on top is not secured at all.

I believe that the biggest problem is the top heavy loads on temporary narrow gauge track. The Shay locomotive, while having a lot of traction and pulling power, were very slow traveling about 15 mph max.
I noticed that top log, too.
15 mph? Maybe, just maybe 13 at max and with a load, you'd be lucky to see 7. They were slow but sure. !*th_up*!

I know it isn't a time I'd want to go back to and, being a logger never was one of my desires. ^**lylgh

(0!!0)
a.k.a. Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...
Stoker
Engineer

The layout of the shacks looks amazingly similar to the RRT3 "Logging Camp", except for straddling the track.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke