Slow Cooker Barbecue

Discussion of anything, within reason (no politics or religion, please).
j484fan
Watchman

Slow Cooker Barbecue Unread post

I started making my own bbq sauce when I was 16, so I have always been very fussy when it comes to barbecue. Having learned the diehard purist methods, I was dead set against any other method than low and slow over charcoal and or wood. Then I went to my best friends surprise party a few weeks ago and she had made slow cooker pulled pork. It was so good, I couldn't get enough. So when I went home Sunday evening, I was determined to make some myself. I went to my favorite butcher the next day and got a nice 4lb piece of pork butt and put it in the slow cooker, with a bit of water and some liquid smoke for 12 hrs. I will never buy the pulled bbq anything in the store again.

This morning I am trying some pulled bbq chicken. I got a 4lb bag of boneless skinless chicken breasts and put them in the cooker after applying some good chicken seasoning, and putting a fairly liberal amount of liquid smoke and some water in the bottom for moisture. Will be a few hours yet before tasting, but if the smell is any indication, this should be some really good stuff. Too bad I can't find my camera for some pics when its done.
Knave
Conductor

Re: Slow Cooker Barbecue Unread post

Really? Hummm... I happen to have a slow cooker myself. We like to do a couple of briskets and a few sides of ribs over the summer. Then, much later, when there is two foot of snow on the barbie, we just go "sigh". I'll get back to you in February or March. Thanks for the idea.
Never, Never, Never give up. Winston Churchill
j484fan
Watchman

An added note: one thing I did both times with the pork and chicken was to put it in a shallow pan, when I shredded it. I used this to mix in the bbq sauce then wrapped it tight with foil and stuck it in a 220 degree oven for 30mins. This helped the flavors from the meat and seasoning and the sauce to come together. I also reserve some of the broth from cooking to add as I mix in the sauce. This helps to ensure that the meat will stay nice and moist. When I pull the meat from the oven, I leave the foil on while it cools. Some pretty tasty stuff for a non-purist method. Like others, I just don't like freezing my butt off in the winter for some Q like the diehards do. I don't push it that far.
thegrindre
Engineer

That all does sound pretty good but, this is the Caboose. You're supposed to share your recipes here, not necessarily your experiences. **!!!**
We all know what a slow cooker will do. !*th_up*!
So, let's see this BBQ sauce recipe. I want to try it although, I do have my own. :salute:
Come on, don't be greedy... !*th_up*!

(0!!0)
a.k.a. Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Sorry in advance, Rick, this might be (*!!topic but what's liquid smoke? Does it have another name? My brother-in-law alrady sends us Herschey's chocolate syrup in his food parcels, he might have to start sending us this too!
j484fan
Watchman

In regards to the liquid smoke, the brand I use is Wright's hickory seasoning. First off, if never having used this stuff, experiment, it's potent stuff as any liquid smoke is. The old rule you can always add, but never take away applies well here.

And as it's been a few days, the recipe is quite simple. In both cases I had 4lbs of meat. A 4lb pc of boneless pork butt and 4lbs of boneless skinless chicken breasts.

With the pork, I added just a little bit of smoke to the bottom of the crock and enough water for about 1/4" deep. The only seasoning I applied this first time is I salted and peppered the roast then stuck it in for 12 hrs (may try 11 next time just to see the difference). It turned out great, but just want to see the difference 1hr may make in consistency, it was really fall apart tender when done.

The chicken I got some good chicken seasoning for bbq and treated each breast with some of the mixture. As chicken can be rather flavorless by itself, I probably used a Tbsp of smoke, maybe a little more this time, and cooking was only for 4hrs.

In the case of either one, you can use your own sauce, or I happened to use Sweet Baby Ray's (one of the few shelf brands I like when I don't have any of my own on hand). I added just enough sauce that I could taste it, yet still taste the meat and the smoke flavor ( I don't like my pulled bbq soaked in sauce). Then I covered the pan with foil and stuck it in a 220 degree oven for 20 mins to let the sauce and meat come together, good stuff.
thegrindre
Engineer

Thanks for all your tips, j484fan. Sounds good.

Ruth,
As we have recently found out, the smoking process from real open pit fires, like your backyard BBQ, is extremely hazardous to your health. The smoke from the burning wood and coals is full of carcinogens and ingesting them is not a good thing for your body.
(I've tossed my BBQ out the back door when I learned of this health hazard, btw.)
This process gives the meat a smoky flavor, such as in bacon that has that Hickory Smoked flavor, or smoked hams and the like.
That smoky flavor has been bottled as a flavoring to add to your foods, now. (Personally, I don't like it and stay away from all foods that have been smoked in any process.)
Many companies are offering this flavoring at the supermarket. Check your shelves where they sell the BBQ sauces and ketchups and food flavorings.

I believe we have a product on the shelves that's simply called, Smoke. Don't know who makes it and my heart skips a beat every time I see it. ^**lylgh

Hope I saved another life... !*th_up*!

(0!!0)
a.k.a. Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Thanks, guys. I'll look for "smoke" here and if I can't find it, it's another job for the bro-in-law. My husband's barbeques were a health hazard in themselves, I'm afraid - chicken raw on the inside and burnt on the outside. We all feel a lot better since we confined him to making the potato salad! :lol:
Redband
Watchman

Grandma Ruth, I have some friends who uses Liquid Smoke. They get it from here

http://www.americanfooduk.co.uk/

Click on 'American Sauces' under Categories.

Stubbs Liquid Smoke - Mesquite 148ml - £3.99.

Stubbs Liquid Smoke - Hickory 148ml - £3.99.

Plus delivery £2.99 (Total order charge).

Is this the chocolate syrup you get sent to you?

Hersheys Chocolate Syrup
Bottle of ready to pour Hershey's Chocolate Syrup.

Add to milk or pour over ice cream and desserts.

Net weight: 680g. £3.99 from above company (click 'American Baking')

Also found Liquid Smoke on

http://www.amazon.co.uk/

(Just put Liquid Smoke in search box.)
All folks as come to Sussex must follow Sussex wyas,
And when they've larned to know us well
There's no place else they'd wish to dwell in all their blessed days.
There ant no place like Sussex until you goes Above,
But Sussex will be Sussex, and Sussex won't be druv.