New transportation game

Discussion of anything, within reason (no politics or religion, please).
Stoker
Engineer

New transportation game Unread post

I just stumbled upon this new game. Has anyone tried this yet?

It looks interesting, although limited in scope. I am going to d/l the demo and check it out (hopefully my old boat anchor of a computer can handle it).
Here is the main site: http://www.citiesinmotion.com/game-info

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: New transportation game Unread post

I just checked the system specs and it looks like my rig won't handle it simply because my video card only has 256 MB RAM on it. It requires a card wuth 512 MB RAM. I have a 7600 GT KO card. :-(

I meet the other requirements though.
specs.jpg
specs.jpg (10.89 KiB) Viewed 7811 times
Hawk
Stoker
Engineer

My system might just barely run this. BTW, I like the new tagline Hawk, "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad", that reminds me of a saying from Townes Van Zandt :

"Remember folks, time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana !" :lol:

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Stoker wrote:"Remember folks, time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana !" :lol:
I like that one. :mrgreen:

Let us know how that game is, if you give it a try.
Hawk
nedfumpkin
CEO

My pc can handle it, but it looks like a transit game more than a transportation game. Seems city based, and there is no freight.
brunom
Dispatcher

I had a go at the demo.

The demo is really just a Tutorial version, which will close as soon as you finish "learning the basics" and does not allow saving.

The game seems very complex in terms of economics and probably has a lot going in the background as every single person (and there's thousands!!) in the city has a mind of its own. Indeed, like Ned said, it is a "traffic / mass transit" game, not a trains game. In a way, it is a reduced version of Simcity or Cities XL. But it was fun to get started... if I could get my hands on a full version I know I'd be addicted for a week or so.
After that I'd be bored... There's just so much buses, trams, metros and ferries you can set in a map and watch go about.

However... HOWEVER... the creators called the game a City Transport Simulator for a reason... They released a Scenario Maker (much in the same manner as RRT3 Editor, I guess) and are releasing models for more buildings and vehicles. There's already activity concerning user-made scenarios for cities all around the world.
That can easily be a big PLUS, and make it such a long life game as this one. We'll see.

B
Moggie
Conductor

A nice game but awfully heavy on my old computer. Also, it has my country's capital Helsinki as one of the cities! ::!**!
Moggie
Dogs have masters, cats have staff.
Trainmaster's own Skimbleshanks :)
thietavu
Conductor

Moggie wrote:A nice game but awfully heavy on my old computer. Also, it has my country's capital Helsinki as one of the cities! ::!**!
That's something. :) Anyway, RRT3 can also be extremely taxing to even the fastest modern computers. My China Ultimate 2.0 map can easily load my computer to 100% later in game despite the computer being a 4 GHz monster. But that's when there are something like 500 trains running between 200+ places... 8-) That's one of the great things about RRT3: it scales and makes very large scenarios possible. I'd wish even larger, though. :D

Does this new transportation game allow BIG maps? Anyone tried?
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus Crosshair Formula IV mb, Radeon HD7870, Samsung 850EVO SSD, M-Audio AP192, Windows 10-64, Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06. & TM, Train Simulator 2016, MSTS + many add-ons, Trainz!
Moggie
Conductor

I found out why Helsinki is there. This is a Finnish-made game! ::!**!
Moggie
acorn_farmer_84
Brakeman

I've got it, and i reckon its pretty awesome :)
the graphics arent the most realistic, however whilst not ideal, they do the job well enough , and allow the game to run better on older computers i suppose.

Other than that the other problem with the game is that the AI for the road traffic is pretty terrible (cars dont change lanes to overtake etc), and intersections seem pretty poorly implemented, creating massive bottlenecks with cars just stopping in traffic and blocking them off (not sure about other places.... but its illegal to queue across intersections here). Traffic lights are for eyecandy only at this point as well.

Whilst this is quite annoying, you learn to deal with it, and it kinda reflects what happens in the real world (ie, if you run a bus line through the cbd of a city, its gonna be really congested and practically not move in the traffic). Car traffic gets reduced as you improve the reach of your network through cities with people choosing to use ur system rather than drive. You just learn to use trains and off road trams and things in the city centres to combat this.

Its still a great game though imo, definitely worth a purchase :)
thietavu
Conductor

A nice one, actually. This game has its shortcomings but it is generally entertaining, well designed and has that "I don't want to stop playing yet" -factor. It is now (was at least some day sago) available in Steam with a very good discount, so I'd recommend folks to go and get it.
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus Crosshair Formula IV mb, Radeon HD7870, Samsung 850EVO SSD, M-Audio AP192, Windows 10-64, Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06. & TM, Train Simulator 2016, MSTS + many add-ons, Trainz!
Moggie
Conductor

Performing a little old thread necromancy here, when Cities in Motion 2 was released, I bought it but was disappointed. It's almost a different game :-( . The introduction of timetables has not been very successful. Graphics are fancy, sure, but the game itself has taken a step back. :cry:
Moggie