IE7

Discussion of anything, within reason (no politics or religion, please).
Hawk
The Big Dawg

IE7 Unread post

Is anyone running IE7?
If so, what's your opinion of it?
Hawk
AZ Rail Rat
Dispatcher

Unread post

Not sure what I have at home (have 6.0 at work), but does not matter. IE takes much longer to load and does not have a Personal Tool Bar like Netscrape and FireFox do. Only use IE when I have to, like for GSI map sites and a bunch of training things at work.

GO FireFox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
conomark
Hobo

Unread post

I agree 100% with AZ. Firefox is the way to go. I only use IE when absolutely necessary, which is becoming less frequent as Firefox is continually being improved.
AZ Rail Rat
Dispatcher

Unread post

Just checked. Have 6.0. I guess Bill has not pushed down 7.0 yet (not that I care).
Gwizz
CEO

Unread post

I loaded IE7 on my small drive.
I wonder if that is why it stopped working.

I loaded it on top of IE6. That may have been a mistake. :oops:
I didn't look at the readme.

Now that it is loaded, Time to read the directions. :roll:
Knave
Conductor

Unread post

Ie 7 loaded over 6 on all three of our machines. No problems on our end. It has a whole different look to it. Its taking me some time to get used to it. By the time I do 8 will be out.
Never, Never, Never give up. Winston Churchill
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

I still don't like Firefox. I have it installed but I only use it to check my web site, since it doesn't read HTML code right I have to design my site so Firefox users can see it right.
From what I've read on the Internet it isn't any more secure than Uncle Bill's browser either.
I was asking because I keep getting a prompt that IE7 is available for download. I have automatic updates set to notify me but not to download or install.
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Unread post

Hawk wrote:I was asking because I keep getting a prompt that IE7 is available for download. I have automatic updates set to notify me but not to download or install.
That's the way I have mine set up too. I like to pick and choose what updates to install, not have a vendor take control and install what they want.
thegrindre
Engineer

Unread post

Yup, me too. I like to install what I want when I want.

I haven't heard anything good about IE7 yet and have changed to Firefox a couple years ago. I haven't used IE at all in a number of months, btw.

I haven't upgraded either and don't plan to.
a.k.a. Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...
acorn_farmer_84
Brakeman

Unread post

well, i have tried ie7 on my windows pc,
and hate it, its just a crappy copy of firefox 1.0,
still i guess its better than ie6, at least it has tabs (finally),

FIREFOX RULES! :)

And Hawk, you are not re designing your site because ff reads the html wrong,
ie is the one which reads html wrong, and is not standards compliment,
whereas firefox unlike ie IS standards compliant, and thus loads pages the way they are meant to load.
:)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Actually, none of the browsers are standards compliant. That's the problem.
I do know this though. When I design a web page, IE shows the code I use as I wrote it. For Firefox, I have to use a few tweaks to get it to show the way I wrote it. Same with Opera and Netscape.
Honestly, in order for all browsers to show a web page the way I wrote the code is impossible. All I can do is find a happy medium. Netscape is the worst though. For some code to work you have to include a special javascript in the head of the code.
It's interesting to say the least. :lol:
Hawk
acorn_farmer_84
Brakeman

Unread post

sure, firefox may not be 100% standards compliant, but firefox is much more standards compliant than ie, especially with css,

and i believe that Opera is supposed to be 100% standards compliment.
:)
Braindead6
Brakeman
Location: Northern Middle Tennessee (within spittin' distance of Kentucky)

Unread post

I gues I am the only one running IE7 that I read about so far. I never liked IE6 so I didn't use it. I like IE7 for most of my web browsing. I do use firefox for the rest. I had so much trouble out of Netscape that I uninstalled it.
The biggest advantage I see between IE6 and IE7 is the tabbed browsing. I haven't had any trouble out of it yet.
I also have my downloads set up to notify me of updates but not to install them.
By the way, I had Windows Media Player 9 in this thing when I got it, but after upgrading it to Media Player 10 it wouldn't play my movies any longer. I had to BUY a mpeg2 player to make them work.
Just a little something else to watch out for.

Jim
I never worry about what other people do. I have enough trouble remembering what I already did
Knave
Conductor

Unread post

You are not the only one using e7. It works just fine on our computers. It has a all new look to it thats all. The font seems to small for me. I had vision ending issues last year and I am still recovering.
Never, Never, Never give up. Winston Churchill
thegrindre
Engineer

Unread post

Braindead6 wrote: By the way, I had Windows Media Player 9 in this thing when I got it, but after upgrading it to Media Player 10 it wouldn't play my movies any longer. I had to BUY a mpeg2 player to make them work.
Just a little something else to watch out for.

Jim
Good point! Stay away from Media Player 10 if you don't already have it. DO NOT upgrade to it. 9 is much better.
a.k.a. Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...