Highly unusual locomotives

Discussion of anything, within reason (no politics or religion, please).
Altoona+BeachCreek
Conductor

Highly unusual locomotives Unread post

There are engines, be it steam, diesel, electric, or any other power source, that have revolutionised transportation, done well,or made little difference. There have been many which have failed or were ugly. And then, after all that, there are some which are just plain weird. Here is a list of, in my opinion, some of the most unusual locomotives ever to run on rails.

1. "Coffee Pots," as made famous by the Rev. W. Awdry:
These VERY early locomotives were built with a vertical boiler, which eliminated the need for boiler tubes because the water was always resting atop the firebox. No significant reliability problems were recorded, except when the Best Friend of Charleston's fireman closed the safety valve, resulting in a boiler explosion. This idea was abandoned largely because any larger locomotives would be completely impractical.

2. Erie's Camelback Mallet
Before the new firebox for anthracite was designed, the Erie found itself lack in power. So, it put together two good ideas, and voila!

3. Ludlow & Southern's Steam-Turned-Diesel 4-6-0
So, your ten wheeler got in a wreck, and you don't want to spend a lot of money to replace it. Got some spare part slying around?

4. Miscellaneous Rebuilt Diesels
Sometimes, the generic Geep just isn't good enough for your tough and unique locale. Take it in your shops and personalise the ol' gal!

5. Irish Monorail
Listowell and Ballybunion ran these in revenue once, but they were discontinued because the racks acted as fences and were a general public nuisance. And yet, now they run again as a tourist railway!
Last edited by Altoona+BeachCreek on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Train roll on, on down the line. Take me many miles from my home."
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Highly unusual locomotives Unread post

Matbe these qualify for inclusion in this thread. :mrgreen:

Click on all images to view full size

From the Maine Narrow Gauge Railway Co. & Museum
2007_08250196.jpg
Mt. Washington Cog Railway.
2007_08250265.jpg
2007_08250267.jpg
Suzuki powered. ^**lylgh
suzuki1.jpg
Hawk
Altoona+BeachCreek
Conductor

I forgot all about Mt. Washington's Coffee pot! :lol: I'm editing the original post now to add more.
Lone Cat
Brakeman

Tell me about this unusual 'dieselization' from a totally different engine system. I can't figure out how power transmitted from a diesel engine to the driving bogie? also. How well does it performed ? compared to the typical Mogul steam and a diesel of its time.

meow
Stoker
Engineer

Gotta have the "Galloping Goose" railbuses built by the Rio Grande Southern RR on this list.

Galloping Goose in action at the summit of Lizard Head Pass.

This is the one that was next to the courthouse in Telluride, Colorado for 50 years. I just learned that this one was restored recently and was trucked to the Golden RRM along with 5 of the other 7 Geese for a reunion this year. The seventh one is at Knots Berry Farm in California.
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ ... n-after-60

And here is the one now residing in Dolores Colorado, halfway down the hill from Telluride on the way to Cortez.

These two are at the Golden Railroad Museum. During special events they actually fire up the bus one here and you can ride on it.The best RR museum I have personally been to, it is worth the trip if you are anywhere near Denver.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
Lone Cat
Brakeman

Another weird 'articulated' steamer from Erie

the P1 2-8-8-8-2 .. I 'm sure i'm type this notation CORRECTLY. here's a picture

This is the P1 2-8-8-8-2 locomotive. I think it might be a mallet (or lookalikes), its features includes 3 sets of powering wheels!!! and it extends to (what appears to be) tender unit!!!! (it might be a tank locomotive, a giant tank engine with articulated underframe thing just like Garratt). too bad this engine is not successful. though it doesn't prevent baldwin to experiment on the articulated engines).

Who knows about this engine?

Specifications
- Builder: Baldwin - 41308-14.
- 63" drivers.
- 210 lbs. boiler pressure.
- Weight - 853,050 lbs.
Altoona+BeachCreek
Conductor

Ahh yes, the triplex class. I forgot all bout them. They are in fact articulated tender engines with cylinder driven wheels underneath the tender frame. Only very few were built, not sure exactly how many. They were not the only type of this class, either. The Virginian also experimented with the "American Garret" by ordering a 2-8-8-8-4.Image
Lone Cat
Brakeman

Another weirdos from France

Heilmann Steam-Electric locomotive!

http://forum.e-train.fr/viewtopic.php?t=35492

Basically it is a tank locomotive designed as a cab forward, the locomotive looks alot like Diesels except the steam generating system to the rear. the 'engine' itself located near the front end and it looks rather like Diesels (it is also a reciprocal ones but it has 8 or 16 valves) the engine powers the electric transmission systems. the steam generation system uses coal firing, the coal bunker and water storages are located to the side. see the cutaway picture below

The engine requires a crew of three. an engineer, a fireman, and an electrician (modern diesel electric is operatible by JUST one man). of course this is due to the fact that electricity technology is still new by the time the locomotive is being built (1890-1893) while the first practical electric locomotive shown up in 1898 (operated by B&O, it is also the first electric train to use overhead power lines, the locomotive itself also appears in Railroad Tycoon 2 but not 3 ono!). the engine however. was 'mechanically' and 'technically' success. to the point that Compagnie des Chemins de Fer de l'Ouest (the RR enterprise Heilmann was working for, and building this weirdo for) ordered two more (and also larger version) so many railroad enterprises in the US, the Germany, and Russia considers this type. the construction and the maintenance costs (compared to normal steamers) however, neutered the developments on this type of steamers (at least until 40s in the USA). and interesting enough, several projects of 'modern steam locomotives' chose the walshart reciprocal valvegear and siderods instead of electric transmission. and this includes the ACE-3000 proposed in the 80s!!!

http://www.trainweb.org/tusp/ult.html

So tell me. should Modern Steam designers follow Heilmann experiments of (coal firing) Steam-Electric system if they want to build a 'user friendly' modern steam? ones that can be operated by a Diesel electric cab engineer?
thietavu
Conductor

Here's probably the weirdest shunter ever used commercially... From Finland. :)

Read the article in English: http://www.elisanet.fi/~g621741/WWV/kiskok/kisko.htm

It's worth it. ;)
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus Crosshair Formula IV mb, Radeon HD7870, Samsung 850EVO SSD, M-Audio AP192, Windows 10-64, Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06. & TM, Train Simulator 2016, MSTS + many add-ons, Trainz!
Altoona+BeachCreek
Conductor

An entire website section devoted to odds & ends! http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... m=1&itbs=1
Lone Cat
Brakeman

Vertical Boiler steamer. This one is built by SLM (now DLM) and it is a retrofit of an original self. it is a coal fired steamer built with so many 'modern steam' techniques . I'm not sure if the boiler is also flash-tube type (which it is said to be the most efficient steam generating devices).
Altoona+BeachCreek
Conductor

Who ever thought one of the world's most attractive engines could be considered unusual (and that's going easy)?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (153.03 KiB) Viewed 5933 times
Lone Cat
Brakeman

^ Naked Mallard. This shows us that Mallard is streamlined from start, not shrouded like many steamliners found in the USA and elsewhere.
Interesting enough, even with series of advanced steam techs installed. Mallards don't come with Belpaire firebox, regardless that this engine should have one because Belpaire is better than ordinary roundtop firebox.

Another rail truck! This one is a converted Japanese 10-wheeled diesel truck. I don't know what are the REAL functions since this type of diesel truck has a very limited traction power (since it is designed for highways where tractive force is not really needed) not rail). by the end of WW2 it might be needed to perform REAL locomotive task (possibly doing mixed train) but once Marshall plan becomes available, new locomotives were either ordered, or 'donated', this thing might later went to track maintenance works instead.
http://thailandbytrain.com/
Altoona+BeachCreek
Conductor

Are you Thai, LoneCat?
Lone Cat
Brakeman

^ yes i am. a lil railfan from Thailand. had been boarding a train (shamefully ran by State, it should be privitized!) throughout the southern Isan lines (Bangkok - Ubon Rajthani) for so many times, Northern line (Lampang - Pijit) once. and see how undeveloped the SRT is. the discussion is... however, too politics yet i can tell you that there's so much corruption in SRT that the present management is solving. Remember that the SRT began its existence as a pure bureau modelled after british colonial railroad administrations (but uses German signalling systems and lamp sets). not even considered itself government enterprise until 1950s so the localized title of its CEO is very bureaucratic. (and so its organization culture). but if you ask me whether should SRT privitized. I say DO IT! (I never have a good attitude with government corporations. monopoly by private sector is less corrupt and more efficient, stiff competitions are even better! trust me :) )

About that railtruck thing. SRT don't use it anymore because they can make do with a fleet of (aged and outdated) diesels, (plus Railtruck is too weak handle locomotive jobs) it's not adequate so AFAIK the SRT has placed an order of a new fleet of Diesel locomotives (but not saying from whom did the SRT buy these locomotives, they don't even say how will it looks like but I guess it will be European Janus cab unit. Every diesel locomotives (except switchers) the SRT has is all cab units. so that's why there's neither GM nor Alco diesels in Thailand)
Lone Cat
Brakeman

Back to the real 'unusual' locomotives

^ This thing appears to be road switcher not usually seen anywhere else. low round nose. most engine of this kind has bigger edgy noses like either EMD GP7 or GE Universal series

^ Outside the USA, this mean machine can be considered a common sight. in the USA, 'flatnose' hood unit design like this that should otherwise be seen in either Europe, Asia, or South America is considered unusual! also most American road diesels have a big nose in each unit. therefore I considered this engine 'weird!'
Stoker
Engineer

The Boynton Bicycle Locomotive is about as unusual as you can get:

The line using this one rail (and top guide rail) system was the short lived New York & Brighton Beach Railway, click here to go to a good site about it.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Now that one is a bit unusual. !*th_up*!
One rail? !*00*!
Hawk
obertran
Watchman

Lool !*th_up*!

It was a UK Loco or USA?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

obertran wrote:Lool !*th_up*!

It was a UK Loco or USA?
According to the link Stoker gave in his post, it was in the Brighton/Coney Island area of New York.
Hawk