East Coast passenger rail traffic since Sandy Storm

Discussion of anything, within reason (no politics or religion, please).
Lone Cat
Brakeman

East Coast passenger rail traffic since Sandy Storm Unread post

1. how many percentages of the increased AMTRAK ridership it is? Sandy left many eastcoast airports ruined in her wake and Americans switched from plane to train. I've heard from Thai news that in this THANKSGIVING day. AMTRAK did replace airplanes when the latter was not readily available at the east coast.
2. same Thai news agency did say that many private railroad companies (like CSX and N&S) 'resume' its passenger services for the first time in many decades. since Passenger traffic increased more than AMTRAK can handle.

too bad Thai news agency (Modernine) didn't specify whether did the 'railroad company' in question is Amtrak or other class 1 companies who.. in the past, doing passenger services before yielding long distance passenger trains to AMTRAK due to the service became unfeasible.
Blackhawk
CEO

Re: East Coast passenger rail traffic since Sandy Storm Unread post

I have not heard anything about any Class I railroads helping haul passengers. I checked some internet sites and didn't see anything about it either. Other than Amtrak most companies try to stay away from passenger service as it is generally loses money. The Class I railroads (Norfolk Southern and CSX) may have helped clear the railways though from debris that Amtrak trains use as most of the actual rails are owned by the Class I railroads and Amtrak just gets permission to run on them.

Amtrak ridership as a whole is up some (at least around the Thanksgiving holiday here). I didn't hear a reason for why it's up and plane travel is down. It could be cheaper than traveling by plane, or it could be more people may be tired of being frisked and patted down like a criminal and then crammed into a small seat on a plane.
Lone Cat
Brakeman

^ Modernine did say that the increased passenger train riderships during Thanksgiving is due to the quick restoration operations of RR companies. (I don't know whether did any airport got fixed up before the Thanksgiving?). I don't think this trend will last for long. once airports got fixed up. AMTRAK ridership will resume to normal

If passenger train services are now subsidized by the states (the Federal government owned AMTRAK did long distances passenger trains, The office of Mass Transit/Transportation Authrities of each states operate their own commuter trains; Ex. CALTRAN of California runs the 'red dot' CALTRAIN (subsidized from Southern Pacific)) Is there any Private-companies in the U.S. still operates regular passenger services? (or at least. commuter trains)

Also why aren't commuter train operators in the US operates Japanese-style MU passenger train? (self-propelled passenger railcars hooked into an unit of at least 2, usually 3 or 4) but uses Locomotive-based train instead? also in push-pull operations. why aren't the whole (commuter) passenger trains sandwitched by a pair of locomotives on each end just like either Japanese or European ones?
Blackhawk
CEO

-I think overall Amtrak ridership is up 3+% this year so while it may have been up more than usual around Thanksgiving, overall it's been up this year.

-As for as any private companies running passenger service, I don't know of any. I did come across this article though about a small railroad possibly attempting it again. http://dc.streetsblog.org/2012/03/27/ca ... -a-profit/

-To the specifics of why some railroads run different kinds of locomotives or in a certain way, I couldn't answer that. Many passenger trains often only have 1 locomotive which means there wouldn't be one at both ends of the train.
Lone Cat
Brakeman

^ They say that AMTRAK runs passenger services poorly partly due to that AMTRAK leases tracks from soneone else (except ACELA). if... since 60s Class 1 RR realized that freight service is the only revenue while passenger services don't seems to be feasible due to the two reasons
- Private motoring
- Fast jumbojet passenger planes.
in 21st century. what is the logic that Union Pacific, BNSF and N&S (once N&W) will resume its passenger services? FEC proposed passenger services is likely to use dedicated electrified Hi speed tracks parallel to its existing 'freight' tracks. This makes possible because Miami-Jacksonville is shorter than Chicago-New Orleans and other routes of Class1. which spans as many as 10 states or more. Class 1 can use tilted passenger train to achieve a competitive operational speed (that can beat jet airlines). BUT. what about traction power? electrification is OUT OF QUESTION if the route is very very long. and diesel fuel (or even crude-oil prices in general) has never becomes any cheaper since 2003. will they run their trains on diesels made out of Mc Donalds used cookin' oil? a B100 Biodiesel? :P since no one in Class1 RRs even considers switching to modern steam traction even if ones are now user-friendlier than it has been??

Tell me about this please.