Truth or Fiction

Discussion of anything, within reason (no politics or religion, please).
Gwizz
CEO

Truth or Fiction Unread post

I listened to a commentary on what happened to the stock market.

He said China put out a memo that they were going to unload billions of dollars of US dollar credits. A US official told China that if they did that the US could start withholding oil shipments to China, China said they didn't believe the US would do that, The Offical said, you know my boss, do you think he would not do that. Instead, china started selling stock, causing the stock market to go into free fall. This caused the exchance value of the US dollar to greatly increase over the Yen.

Now who was pulling the strings?

The US dollar credits that China holds are worth more if they do trade them for the Yen. Some very wealthy stock holders were able to sell high and buy low over a two day period. The stock market seems to be recovering. This will greatly add to the wearth of these big stock holders.

Hummmmmmm
acorn_farmer_84
Brakeman

Unread post

i think i read a Tom Clancy novel a year or two ago,
where something like this happened, with China or Japan, or someone selling all their US bonds or whatever, then since a lot of the stock stuff is computer done, a lot of the computers noticed that everyone else was selling US stocks, so then the European markets etc all started selling their US bonds too, and it totally collapsed the US economy,

I *think* it was Japan who did it, and it was in preparation for the Japanese attacking some US controlled island that they believed should be theirs or something in the book,
:)
djrail
Hobo

Unread post

Name of the Clancy book?
Sounds interesting...
"Seize every opportunity!"
Elite Marksman
Watchman

Unread post

Aye, T'was the great Clancy novel Debt of Honor. Japan (or rather a few industry leaders in Japan) caused a stock market crash in the US, far, far worse than Black Tuesday or even Black Thursday of 1929: there weren't even records of who owned what. The whole thing precipitated a war.

If you want to know more, read the book, but I don't want to put too much info up here because I don't want to spoil it for others.

If you read Debt of Honor, be sure to pick up Executive Orders, its the sequel, but its kind of long. Honor weighs in at about 900 pages, Orders is about 1400. The second follows Jack Ryan through his term as President where he deals with completely rebuilding both houses of Congress, and a major diplomatic incident involving India, China, and Iran, which could potentially turn into a major regional conflict, along with a little nasty twist brought on by Iran.
djrail
Hobo

Unread post

Thanks!
Never know what you'll find at Hawk's...
"Seize every opportunity!"
acorn_farmer_84
Brakeman

Unread post

i started reading Executive Orders,
but never finished it, i think i got like half way through,
then i got a library notice saying it was overdue (and i was getting fined for it),
so i took it back, and i never finished it,
I think i will try and borrow it again soon :)
Eb Zane
Watchman

Unread post

I've read them both. In Debt of Honor the ending is wild. Some times you might think that the idea wouldn't be so bad :wink: Big fan of Jack Ryan. Most of Clancy's later books just seem repeats and not as well written.

EZ
bombardiere
Dispatcher

Unread post

Yup, I have read my Clancy too. And as being European, I guess you won’t be surprised when I say that I have mixed feelings. :roll:

He is really great when writing about modern war stuff. Red Strom Risings is one of my favourite books. Read it many times both in Finnish and English, and I think I still have a worn paperback copy, which I picked up many years ago in Dutch secondhand store for couple cents. (that’s Euro cents for you fellas)

But when he writes about economics and politics, especially international ones, I almost scream out loud in horror while reading. :evil: While with military stuff he is front line material, economics and politics are more of wishful thinking of an armchair general. (trust me, I actually understand something about the economics and politics) And to me President Jack Ryan makes certain George W. Bush looks like man of great intelligence and for sight… uuuuuufffff But of course that is only my thoughts and only real crime Clancy is doing is making way too oversized books. :wink:

By the way about the Gwizz’s original post that is of course fiction. Real reasons for the slump were more closely connected with the fact that while China’s economic growth has been astonishing, China’s legs are not too firm. The political system, instability and unpredictability of the economy and despite the growth in wealth, most Chinese are still very poor. To add this infrastructure and production methods and standards, which are not up to “Western” level, could lead a major crash if Chinese economy if it over heats. (I heard comments that said that the slumps was primary caused because Chinese investors got scary because the government made crude attempt to control over heating.)

But the idea behind the first post is solid. And to comment another thread, it is not only American tax-buyers who are financing the war. Chinese (and others, including some of the “enemy”) are buying government’s bonds and thus contributing the war effort. But also covertly influencing the war. Even still not enough questions have been asked about the connection between Bush and Bin Laden families… uuups I am sounding like Tom Clancy better stop…
acorn_farmer_84
Brakeman

Unread post

But also covertly influencing the war. Even still not enough questions have been asked about the connection between Bush and Bin Laden families…
agreed :)
Elite Marksman
Watchman

Unread post

Red Storm Rising is by far my favorite Clancy book. I'm currently about 2/3 through it for the 4th or 5th time.

The economics and politics in Clancy's stories are most defiantly accurate and grossly inaccurate in some ways. That being said, removing the politicians from politics and/or this universe wouldn't be too bad an idea.