Pine Island

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
arop
Dispatcher

Pine Island Unread post

Pine Island, my latest map, is now avaiable on this site. It is a fantasy type map mostly using US engines. You can start the game between 1875 and 1905. Game end at the beginning of 1950 (gold can be achieved at the end of any year before). New features: At start of the game you have the choice between standard rules or a 10-20-30% reduction in industrial output. Mountain line with loops and tunnels, please look at the as build screenshots, attached to the Zip file. The map is designed so, that all bridges en route can be build without steep embankments. All comments about this map are welcome!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Pine Island Unread post

I moved this to the right forum.
Hawk
Sugus
Engineer

Sorry arop, the winning conditions are once more specified the wrong way. !*th_dwn*! For example, you specified the conditions for Silver as:

((BV >= 400 m AND LIP >= 200 m AND PNW >= 75 m) OR LIP < 300 m OR PNW < 100 m) AND actual year = 1950

with BV for Book Value, LIP for Lifetime Industrial Profit and PNW for Personal Net Worth.
This way, you'll get Silver in 1950 without any LIP or PNW due to "OR LIP < 300 m OR PNW < 100 m".
(BTW, you'll get Bronze, because it's specified the same way and checked before Silver.)

Another unpleasant thing: in the introducing text you specify the values 600, 300 and 100 m for Gold, but in the related event you check for 750, 450 and 100 m. The player would be slightly frustrated, when he fullfills the mentioned Gold conditions and nothing happens ...

So, a right way to specify the conditions is given now (I did it so in my copy of your - apart from that interesting !*th_up*! - map):

GOLD (checked at end of month)
BV >= 600 m AND LIP >= 300 m AND PNW >= 100 m

SILVER (checked at end of year)
BV >= 400 m AND LIP >= 200 m AND PNW >= 75 m AND year = 1949

BRONZE (checked at beginning of year)
BV >= 200 m AND LIP >= 100 m AND PNW >= 50 m AND year = 1950

LOSER (checked at beginning of month)
year = 1950

If you check for all medals at the same time, the order of the events is important. Therefore you should use the order Gold, Silver, Bronze, Loser (one o only). Using my variant, there is no such ordering problem, because I did it by time.
There's no business like RT business ...
arop
Dispatcher

:oops: I will fix that problem as soon as possible. Thank you for your help. I have made a blunder when I wanted to change the win conditions after the test game, only having the Bronze, saving the game and with some cheating had the silver.:oops:
Hawk
The Big Dawg

This map has been updated and is now available.

http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/map_arch/rt3_other.htm
Hawk
RayofSunshine
CEO

Well Arop,

Although I did not do all that well with the operation of the scenario, I enjoyed the concept of it, especially the ability to have bridge spans without those exaggerated inclines. Something which has been lacking in the RT3 program. *!*!*!

After I was able to connect all of the 58 cities, I found that I had an inadequate amount of revenue for the goals, as well as not an adequate amount of time to haul the required amount of logs and coal. Will have to watch this agenda closer the next time.

Most always there are criteria which have to be changed, of which Sugus made mention, but that is part of a creation, and the opinion of other map and creators of scenarios.

Thank you for your imagination in both the goals and terrain features. I know that it takes time to create these programs. :salute: {,0,}
arop
Dispatcher

:-) Atached to this topic I'll submit an improved version of this map, Pine Island II. What's new? A) More cities, B) More bonus wins, C) Changed win conditions. Connecting all citiees/towns/villages is no longer mandatory, but there is a 5 mill company bonus to do so within 40 years. But you must build the trunk line between Harwan and Lezama with all intermediate stations within 20 years or the game is lost. Game start between 1875 and 1900, game ends after 60 years from game start. :salute: Have plesure, any comments are wellcome.
RayofSunshine
CEO

Boy, am I far behind in keeping up with the update of Pine Island II. Just too many other beta scenarios in the meantime, I guess.
I liked the version prior, so will give this another attempt. :salute: !*th_up*!
RayofSunshine
CEO

I might be losing something in the "translation", and I do some similar comments of the goals. Here is what my download shows:

Indtroduction "briefing" CBV Bz $100 - Silver $200 -and Gold $300 But the end of year 1 shows:
CBV Bz $200 - $400 - and $600

Briefing for LIP Bz $100 - Silver $200 and Gold $300. But again the year 1 ledger shows:
Lip Bz $150 - $300 and $500

And then the PNW Briefing - the same as the year 1 ledger with Bz $50 Silver $75 and Gold as $100

Not a major problem, but should correspond. *!*!*!
RayofSunshine
CEO

Well, everyone has their own system, in the way that they play to obtain the goals of the requirements. And I will admit that I am not the best of players. However, having completed nearly the 40 years to connect the 65 cities, I have invested into a number of good profitable industries, and there isn't any way in which I, myself, as I have not seen any other comments being made, to be able to obtain the requirements of the CBV, LIP, and PNW, which is stated in the Briefing.
Although the requirements are the same to obtain the 1000 hauls in 40 years, I got a late start with the haul of "concrete", so not surprising to fall short. But the logging and coal supply was started in the early start, and only the hauling of coal is sufficient, but there doesn't seem to be a sufficient number of logging camps to attain those 1000 hauls in 40 years.
Coal is fine, as it can be hauled to the Electric Plants, but in an abundance, can be hauled to other cities. Logs are suseptible to only being hauled to the lumber mills.
A great concept of imagination and thought, but until some more versital player comes along, so as to see if my playing holds true to there being a better system. :salute: !*th_up*!
arop
Dispatcher

!!howdy!! Just returned from a two week rail vacation in England and Wales, I have plans to have a look at some of my phantasy maps checking them for minor (and major) bugs. In the near future I'll submit a revised package with some of the best, including Pine Island II. Concerning some older maps I remember I once had some trouble writing the win events correctly, maybe being a little too productive not having tested my new maps suffiencently :salute: .
RayofSunshine
CEO

Welcome back Arop.
Am anxious to see what you might have to say about your vacation. *!*!*! !*th_up*!
RayofSunshine
CEO

Well Arop,
Played the scenarion with the revenue bonus of $50M to test. That went well without any problems.

But the "fun" didn't start until I only use the standard revenue as well as some other regular incentive. It is all those challenges which seem to be some what steep. 58 cities in 30 years. 1000 coal or logs, which is sort of a bonus. Then to be topped off with CBVs, LIPs, and PNWs, sort of broke the camels back. The necessity of a lot of revenue to attain from the playing which I got stalemated.

However, a player does have a choose in which option is to be played. So it is a challenge for every level of abilities. So, I do like the concept, and even the goals, even though I did not attain the Gold. Well, or even the Silver. :salute: !*th_up*!
arop
Dispatcher

:salute: I have just tested my latest version with 10% less industrial industrial output and +50% more passengers, game start 1890, and I got the silver medal in 1950. In this version you have to build the trunk line between Harwan and Lezama in 20 years, and there is a 5 mill. bonus connecting 65 of 67 cities within 40 years.It has become one of my favorite maps, but there are still some minor adjustsments to be done. I´m working on my +series, which means that vineyards, stockyards, sheds and some other of Ned Fumpkin's new buildings, useable in version 1.06 are implanted (having no plans to take the full step into Trainmaster, while I would miss ore mines and the cement industry and dislike nuklear warfare by train).
RayofSunshine
CEO

Will wait for your next revision, as I did not get any where with the present one. OH, I managed to get all the 58 cities connected, but none of the rest of either the bonuses or requirements of finance. Trying to get the operational of track, engines, and depots, plus that of CBV, LIP, and PNW, it is like a "round robin". Not enough revenue to go around. ^**lylgh
But it is an interesting scenario for all levels of challenge. :salute: !*th_up*!
Sugus
Engineer

Pine Island II Unread post

Form my point of view slightly better than Pine Island.
But: the status (ledger) shows the wrong limits for the CBV and LIP to reach! !*th_dwn*!
arop
Dispatcher

Attached to this answer you'll have my latest version. + means a version with new vinyards and new buildings added :salute:

Attachment Deleted by Admin
Sugus
Engineer

arop, you renamed Baix to Bhaix and added two cities (Chaix and Lhoza), but the intro text still talks about 65 cities. :-D
Maybe it would be better to say "connect all cities" instead ...
arop
Dispatcher

!$th_u$! for your comments. Attached to this answer you have the latest version. Baix changed to Bhaix has no importance, while it's not a town on the trunk line, but town Bayz is. 65 cities is corrected to all cities. Hope all is OK by now! :salute:
Attachments
PINE ISLAND II v1.2+.rar
(3.91 MiB) Downloaded 206 times