Where to install newcargo.zip files

A private forum for those folks working on patches for RRT3.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Where to install newcargo.zip files Unread post

I'm a little confused on where to unzip the .cty files in the newcargo.zip. The readme file says to unzip them into the RT# directory, but this doesn't seem right. Shouldn't they go into one of the Data subfolders? And what about the .PK$ file? Does it go into User/Extra Content?
pure al
Dispatcher

Unread post

Hi Wolverine, Milo means you should extract the zip file into the RT3 directory, hence the cty files will end up in the \Program Files\Railroad Tycoon 3\Data\CargoTypes folder. If you don't want to extract but would prefer to copy the files from the zip just paste them into the 'CargoTypes' folder. Enjoy :D
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Unread post

Thanks Al. I'll give it a try tonight and have a go with the test map.
pure al
Dispatcher

Unread post

Thanks Wolverine. I know you've been looking for something to do, so how about you make us a small scenario that will be released alongside the patch, highlighting the new features we have introduced? If you can do that, for now just work on the idea and map design. Do not use the building or cargo files currently on the ftp as these will be changed shortly. Also if anyone else here has ideas for the scenario, a small easy little thing made in a week or two, then please join in.

Wolverine if you can do it, make a new thread and start a discussion, otherwise we'll need someone else to make it :D
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Unread post

After several fits and starts, I finally got all the files for new cargoes and buildings in the right places and tried them out with the "newcargos" game file. Everything showed up OK. I created (or defined) three new warehouse/port types, one that had a couple of "Demand Only" inputs (for new cargos), one that had a couple of Supply Only" outputs, and another warehouse that had "Exchanges" for the cargos. I gave them the names ":Demand only", ":Supply only" and ":Exchange". I made a couple of new regions on the map, but when I tried to build (place) warehouses in the editor, no matter which of the three types I tried to build, it would show up on the map as a Port instead of a Warehouse (building type) and wouldn't let me put them anywhere. The same thing happened whent I tried to place a "Set 2" warehouse (it showed up as a port). When I painted in some water, it allowed me to place the ports next to the water. Incidentally, they seemed to work OK because when I "Played" the map, cargoes were moving from the pre-placed warehouses (ones that were already there on the test map) to the "Demand Only" port. Did I miss something on the Warehouse/Port setup page? Why was it giving me ports to place instead of warehouses?

As for your request for a map. I'm not quite sure what you want. Do you just want a small map with a few cities, regions and territories and an "unbalanced" distribution of cargo supply and demand? Should I stick with mostly the existing buildings that will be part of new cargo chains (i.e. supply and demand created by the new cargos)? I can do it pretty quickly if you give me a little more info on what you want.
pure al
Dispatcher

Unread post

Emm, that's a little worrying, it shouldn't be doing that. I've had my two buildings and the new cargos working normally on my machine for a while. Tested with 6 warehouse types, worked fine. I haven't yet tried to use Bombar's Kiln, but I'm sure that's not causing it. Maybe you should wait for Milo to release the test patch, he’ll make everything much simpler with an automatic install. When I get home I’ll take a look.

Thanks for agreeing to make the scenario :) The ball is really in your court, take charge and get other people involved if you want.

So create a small scenario that advertises the new features included in the patch. You can create it during the patch’s testing phase, and release it as soon as humanly possible after the real patch is released. The new cargos should be balanced with original cargos, but should be noticeable.

Maybe something as simple as delivering some of the new cargos to various regions on the map (but include an interesting storyline)? When I say small, it doesn’t mean your map can’t be huge, just don’t make it too complicated for yourself, so maybe ¾ of the map is water and you only have to work on a few islands? I’ll even design a little logo for it that says it’s the official preview scenario of patch 1.06 if you want. Maybe make the quarry more realistic by making the land near it look like a quarry, as shown by Ruth a few days ago. Lots of cool new things for you to include :)
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Unread post

I'll have a go as well, though I'm not as capable, I know. I can't get the hang of setting the weather or the economic state and some of the new features are way beyond me, but I can incorporate the others.

I've already made a test map to try things out, so I'll tart it up a bit and make something of it. :D
pure al
Dispatcher

Unread post

Ruth if you can test warehouses and let me know if you get any problems, that will be great. Patch 1.04 was released with a few new scenarios so I see no reason why you can't make yours and release it at the same time as Wolverine :D

Wolverine what if we set your scenario in a developing region of the world, and make it seem like our new cargos have just started to be delivered by train there? There's some kind of storyline in that right?
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Unread post

Will do. !*th_up*!

Later: No problms. I can build warehouses in the Editor, the game generates them as directed, the player can build them in game. And the "storage" warehouse works - it produces alcohol from loads it receives,so creates "storage". ::!**!
milo
Engineer

Unread post

Uhmm... don't want to rain on the new scenarios, but have you two thought about how to translate them? Remember this patch is going out in German as well. It might be better to release them around the same time as the patch, but not as part of it.
pure al
Dispatcher

Unread post

Don't worry Milo, these guys are creating scenarios that can be released soon after our patch is released.

Proof is in the pudding:
alongside the patch
Pudding2:
release it as soon as humanly possible after the real patch is released
Unless Ruth you don't mind becoming fluent in German over the next two weeks? :wink:
milo
Engineer

Unread post

Oh, my bad. Thanks for your effort!
milo
Engineer

Unread post

Wolverine@MSU wrote:I gave them the names ":Demand only", ":Supply only" and ":Exchange". I made a couple of new regions on the map, but when I tried to build (place) warehouses in the editor, no matter which of the three types I tried to build, it would show up on the map as a Port instead of a Warehouse (building type) and wouldn't let me put them anywhere.
When you rename a consist using the ":" notation, it renames both the port and the warehouse. If you use a '%1' somewhere in your name, that gets replaced with 'Port' or 'Warehouse' as appropriate. I think if you look at your building list, you'll see two different entries labelled 'Demand only'; the first is the port and the second is the warehouse.

Where it really gets confusing is in region distribution lists. As Grandma Ruth discovered, changing the active recipe for the region will also change the port and warehouse entries in the list. When the old ports and warehouses were all called 'Port' and 'Warehouse', this wasn't a problem; now that they can have different names, you might have a 'Marble Factory' abruptly change to 'Passenger Port' when you change the region recipe.
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Unread post

Ich spreche Deutsch besser als Du, ich glaube, aber nicht so gut wie Molse, verstamd !
pure al
Dispatcher

Unread post

That's impressive for a Brit!
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Unread post

And how many Americans do we know who even have passports? :wink:
milo
Engineer

Unread post

Given that the idiots we elected are probably gonna decide we need 'em to go from one town to another without encountering terrorists, more than you think... :cry:

(Reminds me - I should get mine renewed, just in case. Thanks!)
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Unread post

Come and see us when you do! 8)