Converter

A private forum for those folks working on patches for RRT3.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Converter Unread post

Hey Folks,
I've just added a file to the FTP folder called MSTS2Locomotion.
I have no idea if this thing will be worth anything to y'all but it's designed to convert MSTS locos to Chris Sawyer's Locomotion game.
BTW! It's in a folder called 'converter'. It's in rar format.
Hawk
bombardiere
Dispatcher

Unread post

Well, that sounds interesting, however, I don't know if it will be of any use. I have read about the program, but if I understand correctly, Locomotion is not real 3D, but uses pixels instead. (???)

Sure if it would be possible to get all the locos from MSTS, I would happy close my engine shop and take a beach vacation. Hhhmm, I do know how to use (steal) MSTS skins and I am pretty sure that there can be a way to “acquire” 3D models too. But I am not sure do I want to go to that road. While I do look help and inspiration from MSTS skin, I pride that my engines are skinned by me. (I do steal features from picture though)

(actually I do know a method to get MSTS models. MSTS tools from MSTS web page -> convert to gmax -> gmax to blender. Hhhhmmm I might know what I am do thing tonight instead of watching telly.)

I understand that “borrowing” other peoples work is a major issue with MSTS, and I would like to avoid that RRT3 wouldn't be too much tainted.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

I didn't think it would be any help but thought I'd throw it up there just in case. :wink:
There was a post at the Train-Sim forum from a guy asking if it was OK to use MSTS engine skins for his Locomotion project. Last time I checked one guy said it was OK with him. I don't know if he got permission from others via email though.
Hawk
pure al
Dispatcher

Unread post

Thanks for the info Hawk, it may prove useful one of these days, we just don't know.

Bombar how are you getting on with making new models in blender? Have you got any screenshots you could show?
bombardiere
Dispatcher

Unread post

Well I give out with Gmax. It is just useless. Can save only as gmax files and is hopelessly complicated and misses important features. (and I thought that Blender was difficult) And worst! MSTS Tools don’t even allow importing MSTS 3D files… :roll:

Anyway, I managed to note that MSTS models are much more complicated than RRT3 3D models, so those wouldn’t help much. (trains anyway)

Pure Al, interesting question. I managed to change shapes most of my BR engines. And I am somewhat satisfied with the result. I even changed the nose of Deltic and shortened the loco to resemble more of Class 37. However I now need to remap the texture, which I haven’t learned yet. (here the manual wasn’t really helpful) And I haven’t yet learnt how to inset new triangles and connect those with existing. (can’t be hard)

But I have put everything on hold until it is find out if it is possible to convert these back to 3dp.

I haven’t made anything from scratch. I wonder is it easier or harder to do it, rather than modify existing models. Al, how much work you have done with Blender?

Speaking of British engines. My third BR pack is almost ready. I need just to adjust some beautyshots and profiles and I can post it.

Beyond of that I have a project to make four additional BR engines and then I am basically done with BR engines. But these engines require medium 3D work, and so far I haven’t been able to do it myself. (engines I plan to make are Class 47, DMU Class 101 or 108 and two steam engines BR Standard Classes 7P Britannia and 2-10-0 Class 9F)

BTW, How is industry project going? With Milo being heavily late, should we look into additional buildings or wait until 3D is solved? (I would almost say to wait, but texture work could be done)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

GMax is a good 3D creation program but has an extremely steep learning curve. In order to import a GMax model to MSTS, a plug in is required that can be found at the Micro$oft site.
I could supply the link but you seem to have decided that MSTS models are too complex for RRT3. :)
Hawk
bombardiere
Dispatcher

Unread post

Hawk, I have that tool, but it can only export models to MSTS. I can’t use it open MSTS models.

Well to me Gmax is dead end, but honestly I haven’t decided anything yet. :? I am new to 3D and trying to figure out stuff which is beyond my skill levels.

Hawk you are using that other program. What are its save options? What kind of save formats it support?

MSTS models are bit more complex than RRT3, but perhaps those can give me inspirations.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

I don't know of any program, other than the MSTS2Loco converter, that will convert an MSTS model to anything.
As I mentioned in another thread here, back in '01 or '02 there was a major issue about a converter that was created to convert MSTS models into a 3ds format, to be opened with 3DCanvas or 3D-Max. The converter was finally pulled from the public due to getting so much flack from the community.
I'm surprised the MSTS2Loco converter hasn't received the same reception, but that may be due to the fact that this converter is specifically for a different program. So far there has been no negative comments about it, not publicly anyway.

I think I forgot to mention that GMax is no longer supported by the creator(s). The only support comes from the Turbo Squad forum users.

The program I use to create MSTS models is Train Sim Modeler and it only converts to MSTS as .s and .sd files-along with an .ace file which is the texture format, with no return conversion possible. It will not open an MSTS file once converted.
Hawk
pure al
Dispatcher

Unread post

I can't say I've ever used gmax, but I'm also not by any means a pro in Blender. A long time ago I experimented with 3d models for a graphic design thing I was doing, and Blender was the 3d program I chose but never made animations or complex forms. From the sounds of it Bombar you've been soldiering on doing some great work. Until it's proven we can save 3dp files from Blender I wouldn't do too much, but don't stop! :D

I am a forumer at one of the largest Blender community websites, and I did tell Milo I could ask for some help, but again I don't want to go 'public' about us making new models for this game. There are people out there that make 3d plugins for Blender, the question is would they be willing to help given that they won't get anything out of it.
milo
Engineer

Unread post

It's not very hard to export a working .3dp from Blender. What I'm not sure about is whether we can export one that will run fast. The problem isn't with the Blender format, but with creating multiple .3DP DIST objects at successively lower detail for each model. Solving that one takes someone knowledgeable in graphics algorithms, not a plugin developer.
bombardiere
Dispatcher

Unread post

Ok, Milo. Those instances got me worried too. I wonder if original files were made by hand or by conversion program. Pjay's viewer shows how smaller instances work. In essence those are simplified version of the original file. I guess those could be made manually. (extra work) With more powerful computer at hand nowadays, perhaps 2-3 instances would be enough.

Hey Poptop guys! If you are reading this, could you give us a hand and let us know how you did the models for RRT3.

Pure Al. I try to post few pictures later. I haven't done much, and until it is sure that models can be converted to RRT3, I will not do additional work. Luckily we don't need much animation ( wheels, those can be copied from other engines) and RRT3 models are relative simple.

Hawk, thanks for the info. I wasn't too serious about converting MSTS to RRT3, but it is nice to know options. :wink: