New Cargo alpha uploaded

A private forum for those folks working on patches for RRT3.
pure al
Dispatcher

Unread post

Haven't found the limit on cargo skins other than the number I feel like translating into German.
Woops sorry about that, I'll stop now. For the crystal icon my preference is the wikipedia image, just more natural than the 'crystal ball' icon. I'll have it on the ftp before you read this! :D
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Unread post

I've got the warehouses with the new cargoes on my test map now and they're wonderful ::!**!
Haven't actually got round to test-playing the game yet, been too busy sorting out technical problems, but I will soon.
pure al
Dispatcher

Unread post

Thanks for your kind words, I'll soon have an Ore Mine and Quarry working, so there will be more to play with.
milo
Engineer

Unread post

BTW, the new cargos introduce a problem with saved games that I haven't been able to fix yet. At boot time, RT3 loads all of the local cargo definitions, and creates a couple of maps between express cargo IDs (0-2) and regular cargo IDs (0-52). When one loads a game save file with a different set of cargos, it doesn't rebuild the express maps, which leads to incorrect express behavior and even a CToD if 'Troops' ends up mapping to a nonexistent cargo. I don't think the problem applies to games started with the new cargos installed.

It's basically the cargo equivalent of the problems we were having with new locomotives earlier. I have some more testing to do to make sure it doesn't impact new games, though.
pure al
Dispatcher

Unread post

Ouch. Could the local cargo definitions be loaded when a save file is loading instead? Maybe have a second definitions folder for the original + new cargos that it reads from when a scenario is Patch 1.06+. Sorry Milo, I've got C++ Express installed but I'm still trying to figure it all out, so I can't help you with stuff like this. You could maybe answer a few questions I have about editing RTS.exe in it, but maybe after 1.06 is released as it'll take too much time atm. I also have nsis running, but hasn't been used yet. Let us know how it goes, worst case scenario we'll scrap new cargos for this patch. And I'm perfectly ok about that, if you think that's the best option :wink:
milo
Engineer

Unread post

It's not as serious as it sounds - we already knew we were going to lose existing saved games, because installing new locomotives during a game causes similar problems with locomotive availability flags. This one CToDs rather than just causing weird game problems; I intend to fix the CToD but not the weird game problems. :)

Might even just set the version checks so that 1.05A-and-earlier savegames don't show up in the Load dialog.
pure al
Dispatcher

Unread post

Ahh, ok.
Might even just set the version checks so that 1.05A-and-earlier savegames don't show up in the Load dialog.
Will the scenarios still open in the editor? It's just relating to the save games right?

Edit: And what did you think of the crystals icon? I ended up not using a photo at all. As you said, too much blur.
milo
Engineer

Unread post

Correct. Patch doesn't go out if it can't run 1.05 scenarios. I'm not happy about losing 1.05 savefiles, but the amount of work that would be required to make these things adapt to locally installed resources is crazy.

(Biggest difference between a scenario and a savefile is that the savefile assumes that the contents of the player, company, territory, and game-wide variable spaces are valid. If we add or remove resources, the order of the information in these structures changes. Sorting it out would take a couple thousand bytes of code - space and time I don't have. When PopTop put out CtC, they got around the problem by brute-forcing all of the new resources to the end of the structures, an approach that has all sorts of bad side-effects and doesn't support user-added objects.)

Oh, fudge, just realized that the same problem will reoccur every time we put a new pack out, just as it did for the Loco Pack.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Maybe that's why Pop Top didn't put out any more patches involving add-ons because they realized what a job it would be.
Ah the wonders of hind site. :roll:
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Unread post

I don't have a problem with add-ons not working with saved games, although the check of saved games for compatibility would be a plus ( i.e 1.05 saved games don't show up on list). I usually play one scenario at a time, to completion, and then delete all the saved files for that scenario before starting the next one.
pure al
Dispatcher

Unread post

Quarry and Ore Mine buildings now available on the ftp in Quarry&Ore_Buildings.zip for testing purposes.

Place the 'quarryore.PK4' file in
'Program Files\Railroad Tycoon 3\Data\UserExtraContent'.

The other 4 files go into
'Program Files\Railroad Tycoon 3\Data\BuildingTypes'.

You must have the new cargos in newcargo.zip on the ftp installed. I'm not as clever as Milo so to uninstall please find these files and delete them yourselves as soon as you've tested :wink:

List of files to delete: quarry.bca, oremine.bca, quarry.bty, oremine.bty, and quarryore.PK4
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Unread post

I can't find it! This is the engmod ftp we're talking about?
pure al
Dispatcher

Unread post

Yes in the patch 106 folder, the file is called 'Quarry&Ore_Buildings.zip'
milo
Engineer

Unread post

Great work, Al!

Sorry there's not an update with the new crystal icon in it; I've switched over to using ~#### to name objects, and they're kinda cumbersome without the as-yet-unreleased RT3.LNG changes. Busy converting locomotive files. Current plan is to release one more protected beta for the Patch team with the new buildings, icons, and production chains added; we can hammer on it here for a while, and then throw it open to the world if we're happy with the economic and visual balance.
pure al
Dispatcher

Unread post

Sounds like a plan. I guess all the building files and cargos will also need to use the new naming system. If there's anything else I can do to help you let me know.
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Unread post

Very nice indeed! I've made a quarry for the quarry building - I'll send Hawk a screenshot and ask him nicely to post it.

...and here it is. :)

bombardiere
Dispatcher

Unread post

I sent my Ceramic factory files to Hawk and he will post it to the ftp folder.

BTY and bca files are done expect new cargo names. I don't have those and the game crashes if I don't use existing names. I arranged it so that the building can convert both Rock and Sand to Ceramics. I think this way is easier and the user can choose which ones uses in the scenario.

BTW small picture doesn't work. I will try to fix it later if we ahve time.

P.S. Milo I posted the Twotone whistle I was talking about. Can you add it and tell me what the number will be.
Busy converting locomotive files
You may have done it, but if you need help, I have some time during the weekend.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

The files bombar mentioned are in the engmod folder. :D
Hawk
pure al
Dispatcher

Unread post

BTW small picture doesn't work. I will try to fix it later if we ahve time.
-It's that imb file, it worked when I added it to my files.

Ruth that's a great looking quarry you got there, hopefully soon we'll be able to make our own 3D models so I'll create a building with quarry 'hills' around it. But don't make any scenarios using it or the new cargos yet, we are still very much in the testing phase and things are likely to change.

Edit: Someone recently made this in Blender and it featured in the gallery: CLICK ME
milo
Engineer

Unread post

Thanks, Bombardiere. Is it OK if I hack the definition of your building a bit? Sand is a skin, not a cargo, and can't be specified as an input directly.