Bug Report on Beta 1.06 patch

A private forum for those folks working on patches for RRT3.
pure al
Dispatcher

Unread post

Still scrambling for time. I really want to get cargo skins and new industries working before the next beta, but may have to surrender one or both.
Surrender both if they're holding you back milo. I started the skinning for them far too late, I'm to blame for the beta being late. Anyway guys I'm off on holiday for two weeks on friday, so won't be around until mid July!
bombardiere
Dispatcher

Unread post

I agree with Pure Al. If these are holding you back Milo, dump them. When Pure Al comes back from holiday, we could perhaps think something else. For example, to introduce some of the cargoes independently. In the same way than I am doing the locos.

BTW Also you may want to go back with the last page of the ledger. The Patch (beta4) makes the last page of the ledger show up wrongly.
pure al
Dispatcher

Unread post

What's happening? Any sign of light at the end of the tunnel Milo?
milo
Engineer

Unread post

Currently renaming all of the engines to ~####Foo format. Then I'll add the new cargos to existing buildings, update the installer to deal with .LNG files, and incorporate whatever new buildings forum members have come up with. Giving up on cargo skins - the editor dialog is taking too long to code, and skins are probably doable with a later add-on utility anyway. I'll include the extra icons and translations in the patch in case someone wants to hand-edit a .gmp to put them into an individual scenario.

I'm getting about four hours a week to work on the patch, so progress is pretty slow. There's probably 8-12 hours of work in the list above.

Think I've seen an ore mine, a quarry, and a kiln so far. Are there any other new industries to be included?
pure al
Dispatcher

Unread post

That's a negative, I think we were saving the rest for new 3D models, that haven't so far appeared. I think just work with what you've got and get the patch testing started. Sounds like it's 2-3 weeks away, looking forward to it! :D
bombardiere
Dispatcher

Unread post

Milo, is there anything I can help you. I could do renaming the engines, so that you would not need to waste time with routine matters.
milo
Engineer

Unread post

That'd be a huge help.

I've allocated message indices 4355-4424 to locomotive names; those correspond to the available slots for new locomotives. Each locomotive should have an internal name that looks like "~####Name", where #### is the locomotive's message index, and Name is the text that should display if there's no entry in the message file for the locomotive. Example: "~4355Adler 2-2-2". Locomotives named with this scheme will show up at the end of any locomotive selection list, ordered by the message index, so I recommend choosing an index for each loco that roughly corresponds to its position in an alphabetical list of engines. Don't re-use indices.

Once all of the 1.06 engines are indexed, we can put entries into the English and German RT3.LNG files representing each engine's name in that language. For example, the ICE (Class 401), which might have an internal name of ~4391ICE (Class 401), can be renamed ICE (Baureihe 401) in the German version by adding a line that looks like

Code: Select all

4391 ICE (Baureihe 401)    ; translated name of ICE
to the German RT3.lng.

Not sure how many of the support and model files have to be modified or renamed - you might have a better idea of that than I do.
bombardiere
Dispatcher

Unread post

I can do that Milo. But I need to check, which line i change. I guess you mean the engine name line. First text line, can't remember the line number. That is simple, no other lines need to be changed. If you mean the internal name/ game name, which usually ends L or T, that means that the file names need to changed too. Only lco and car files though, no need to worry about 3dp.

I do one as a test and email it to you to test that my Scandinavian keyboard can handle special characters. Or more precisely, that your US computer can handle my odd marks. (happened me once that an English person could use an engine I made because his computer didn't recognise my slash.(/))
milo
Engineer

Unread post

It's the internal name - the one that shows up in saved-game files - that needs to change. I forgot about the T names for tenders; not sure what has to happen to those. I'll try to look at them tonight.
bombardiere
Dispatcher

Unread post

******! Sorry I don't know which name is used in savegames. Can you give a full example, so I could track down, which of the names it is. (there is about 4-5 different name atributies to an engine)

Most likely we don't have to worry about the tenders. If your "internal name" is what I suspect it being, the game skips that line in the tenders.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Unread post

Has anyone else encountered this, or could someone else give it a try. I can't reset the Economy State with an event. Is this a bug in the beta release? I can do it in V5 but not with the beta.
milo
Engineer

Unread post

Sounds like a bug. What's the exact event that worked in V5?
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Unread post

Any event where the Effect is to set the Economy State to some specific value (0-4). It won't change the Economic Status in 1.06 beta through either a value or a variable. V5 only allows it to be set to a value and works OK.
milo
Engineer

Unread post

Reproduced the bug. Shouldn't take too long to hunt down.
milo
Engineer

Unread post

Fixed. Used the wrong addressing mode for an instruction in both in the economic state and the weather handlers.
milo
Engineer

Unread post

Encountered a crash to desktop in JayEff's "Athabasca 1905". Traced it to a bug in handling limited track and fixed it.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Unread post

Milo: Are you updating and re-uploading revised patches as bugs are fixed or are you going to wait a while to update the patch?
milo
Engineer

Unread post

I'm waiting a while. As long as fixes are relatively minor like the previous two, I'm adding them to the as-yet-unreleased version sitting on my hard drive. If we get to the end of the month with nothing worse than these, I'll release 1.06 Final; if a serious bug crops up, I'll put out a public Beta 6 instead.
milo
Engineer

Unread post

Found another CtoD while playing 'Kick Me Elmo'. Haven't been able to isolate it completely yet, but I think it happens when trying to assign a value to a company or territory variable without specifying a company or territory to operate on.
bombardiere
Dispatcher

Unread post

milo wrote:That'd be a huge help.

I've allocated message indices 4355-4424 to locomotive names; those correspond to the available slots for new locomotives. Each locomotive should have an internal name that looks like "~####Name", where #### is the locomotive's message index, and Name is the text that should display if there's no entry in the message file for the locomotive. Example: "~4355Adler 2-2-2". Locomotives named with this scheme will show up at the end of any locomotive selection list, ordered by the message index, so I recommend choosing an index for each loco that roughly corresponds to its position in an alphabetical list of engines. Don't re-use indices.

Once all of the 1.06 engines are indexed, we can put entries into the English and German RT3.LNG files representing each engine's name in that language. For example, the ICE (Class 401), which might have an internal name of ~4391ICE (Class 401), can be renamed ICE (Baureihe 401) in the German version by adding a line that looks like

Code: Select all

4391 ICE (Baureihe 401)    ; translated name of ICE
to the German RT3.lng.

Not sure how many of the support and model files have to be modified or renamed - you might have a better idea of that than I do.
Milo I am sorry I totally forgot that I promised to help you. :oops: I have been busy. Now I have some time. DO you still need engine renaming or will you left out this one? Personally I don't think this is very important. Just fix what you have now, reliase the patch as it is. There is still plenty of stuff in your patch.