Bug Report on Beta 1.06 patch

A private forum for those folks working on patches for RRT3.
bombardiere
Dispatcher

Unread post

The profile issue is that the double-GP7 should be orange and white rather than blue and red.
I have a new profile for the GP7D. Not perfect as I wasn’t able to find a profile, which would have exactly the same length. There is a small gap between the train and wagons, but it will do.
Never noticed that the GP7 railings lit up at night. Cool!
Yup I know that. I call it myself a ghost train effect. It affect all new engines and skins. It is due the alpha channel issues. When skin files are resized, the alpha channel get messed. TO fix this, all skin file sizes needs to be hand painted. (as Poptop did)

Side note. I have a new test project. I am making new skins for the new engines. I am fairly certain that I can get extra skins working with my new engines.
milo
Engineer

Unread post

Another bug report, this one from 1.05 vanilla: Start a new map, bring up the Economy panel showing 'All Cargos', then wave the mouse around on the grey-colored ground. Produces a stack overflow. I was going crazy trying to hunt down how the new 1.06 cargo code was causing this... turned out it was there all along!
milo
Engineer

Unread post

Previous bug is caused by a sprintf where the code needed a snprintf. It was triggered by another bug, an off-by-one problem when initializing an economic cell, that manifested only when we got to 52 cargo types. The latter is fixed in the next release; the former needs some investigation, because I haven't located snprintf in the C runtime library yet.
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Exiting the Editor Unread post

Don't know if this is the right place to put this, if not - sorry!

When you leave the Editor, the only way is to click "Resign" which takes you back to the Campaign screen and out that way. That can't be right, surely?
Gwizz
CEO

Unread post

Grandma, we have your queen over here. Whoops I'm off topic again. This was not a bug report.
milo
Engineer

Re: Exiting the Editor Unread post

Grandma Ruth wrote:When you leave the Editor, the only way is to click "Resign" which takes you back to the Campaign screen and out that way. That can't be right, surely?
If you click on the folder icon next to the game speed indicators, it brings up the File Options dialog. 'Main Menu' returns you to the initial game menu.

Is that what you were asking?
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Unread post

Gwizz, the only good thing about having a queen is that you don't have to have a president!
But to get back ON topic ....
Yes, that's what I mean. Where it should say "Main Menu" it says "Resign" - not a major problem, but it could get aggravating! I have a screenshot but I don't know how to post it here.
And by the way, congratulations to Milo and everybody on having the goodwill of some of the developers - that is an endorsement!!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Unfortunately this version of phpBB forum software doesn't allow for posting screenshots, but you can link to them. If you'd like, email me the screenshot and I'll see to it that it gets posted. I have a special folder set up for just this thing. :wink:
Hawk
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Unread post

OK. Will do.

The screenshot. :wink:

Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

This is what I get in the editor.

Not sure why yours is different.
Hawk
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Unread post

How about that? :( - and see what I mean about the smilies? Still not working!

Right, now I understand - I can't see the smiley when I post, but it's magically there when it gets onto the board. :oops:
Last edited by Grandma Ruth on Sat May 05, 2007 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

I see you're frowing face. I don't know why you don't.
Must be something in your browser.
Hawk
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Unread post

But Hawk, from your screenshot I suspect you're using a map created in the original game - Argentina Unbound, or whatever it's called. Mine is a new test map created with 1.06, so that might be why the discrepancy? Milo will figure it out when he sees it.

Later: Yes, that's right. When I have an old map in the editor, it's OK. This "resign" thing must only happen with new 1.06 maps. And I've checked - it's not marked as a campaign map.
milo
Engineer

Unread post

Huh. I don't know what's happening. Mine comes up with 'Main Menu' for a brand-new 1.06 scratch map in the editor; even selecting 'Campaign Map' doesn't change it. AFAIK, there aren't any campaign-related changes in the code, and I haven't found where the campaign flag gets stored yet.

What did you name your scenario?
pure al
Dispatcher

Unread post

I've just tried it myself, made a new scenario using 1.06, showed up as 'Main Menu', saved it, exited the game, ran it again and still 'Main Menu'. Could it be reading the wrong line from the lng file on Ruth's computer?

Ruth don't worry too much about it, it's probably just a visual error, it shouldn't affect the game in any way.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

I guess the big question is; Does it take you back to the Main Menu?
Did you start a company in the editor and sign on as chairman?
Hawk
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Unread post

Isn't this weird? My scenario is just called "A Test Map" - do you want me to upload it to the ftp?

Al, it's not just visual. Clicking on the "Resign" takes you back to the campaign screen, so it looks as though I have got into a wrong pathway somehow. Given the way my computer's completely srewed up, nothing would surprise me!

Yes, Hawk. I have started a company in the Editor. And I've just done one where I haven't started a company and you're quite right, that gives "Main Menu" so it only seems to happen when you've started a company.

So let's call it a "quirk" rather than a "bug", eh?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

I just found this in the lng file.

3014 "Resign"
3015 "Resign this scenario and return to the campaign screen. You can begin a new scenario from there."

It looks to me like you may have, intentionally or not, set that test map up as a campaign.

Edit 1: Right below that is this.

3018 "Are you sure you want to resign this scenario and return to the campaign screen?"
3019 "Are you sure you want to return to the main menu?\n\n(Any unsaved games will be lost.)"

If you haven't set the map up as a campaign check the lng file and make sure lines 3018 and 3019 are as shown above.
Hawk
pure al
Dispatcher

Unread post

I think you should be proud about owning a very unique game. It's a sort of limited edition thing we thought we'd do for you Ruth :lol:
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Unread post

I'm not very good at the technical things, as you well know. You might as well be speaking Chinese for all I understand! But I think as we're testing this, we have to establish what are bugs that can be fixed, and what are "quirks" that can't be fixed, but people can be warned about. Maybe a set of "Notes" so they know what to expect.

For example, another thing I've found is about the naming of ports/warehouses. It's really useful to be able to name them and I've got a "Supply Port", a "Demand Warehouse", a "Military Port" and so on. But when you set them up in the Editor, you only get the first one on the list - in my case "Supply Port". If you want a city to have a "Military Port" you have to first of all choose "Supply Port" and then change it to "Military" in the Port/Warehouse Recipe bit. Absolutely logical, once you think about it, but this is the kind of thing that would be useful for people to know when writing a scenario.

Does this make sense to anyone? I'll write up a series of notes on what I find - hopefully a bit more coherently than this - and see what you all think.