1.06 Subproject: Translating the Documentation

A private forum for those folks working on patches for RRT3.
milo
Engineer

1.06 Subproject: Translating the Documentation Unread post

Elite Marksman reminded me - I'd forgotten. We need volunteers to translate the patch documentation to German and possibly French! While some of the doc isn't in its final form, it's pretty close as of the first beta.

If you install any of the Betas, most of the documentation ends up in C:\Program Files\Railroad Tycoon 3\Patches. Ignore anything that doesn't have a .txt or a .pdf extension. Here's roughly the priority:
  • README_106.pdf
  • Locomotive Pack README.pdf
  • Locomotive Chart.pdf
  • CHANGELOG.txt
I'm pretty sure I can find a German version of the LICENSE.txt at apache.org.

I can upload the .rtf version of the README_106 document if that's easier for you; contact Bombardiere for the source for the two Locomotive documents.

If you tackle a document, please post that you're doing so; same goes if you have to drop out of a translation project. We're shooting for a production release as soon as we can - definitely by the end of March, and possibly within two weeks if testing goes well.

Thanks!

Edit: merged CREDITS.txt into README_106; dropped priority of CHANGELOG.txt; removed rt3patch.nsi and replaced it with installer.txt in the xlatpack described later in the thread
Last edited by milo on Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Unread post

We're shooting for a production release as soon as we can - definitely by the end of March, and possibly within two weeks if testing goes well.
Is there a new version available that resolves the issues with the CTDs mentioned in the other thread? I haven't touched the current one due to some beta testing of a scenario that was incompatible with the patch.
milo
Engineer

Unread post

It's coming today sometime. I'm struggling with a gigantic patch to the train-related events that I probably shouldn't have tackled, but I didn't want to deal with swapping loco packs in and out of the system. New approach allocates events only when particular locos are enabled - if it ever works.
Lama
Brakeman

Unread post

Milo, I am sorry, but I cannot do the German translation. I just started a new lecture class, and it takes up all my time trying to get the lectures done on time.
If that wasn't enough, I also committted to contributing to a mod for "Europa Universalis III", for which there is a deadline.
Elite Marksman
Watchman

Unread post

I can translate into German, but not French.
I can read the .pdf files, but I do not have a .pdf compiler, so I would need to upload the documentation in .doc, or .txt and someone else could compile it into .pdf.

My translation will not be perfect, but I think that I have sufficient ability in the language to make it understandable.

PS: A German version of the license for the installer would be nice. I probably can not, and will not translate the license, it is just too long and could possibly have legal consequences should I make a mistake.
JayEff
Conductor

Unread post

I can do the translation into French.
milo
Engineer

Unread post

Thanks, guys! Elite Marksman, I can deal with .txt/.doc/.rtf, and can convert the results to pdf.

According to Apache, the binding version of their license has to stay in English. It's permissible to translate it into non-binding versions in other languages, but they don't distribute any translations themselves. I agree about punting on translating that - too many legal questions about whether the translations are binding, too many opportunities for mistakes, no guarantee that the license means anything in terms of other countries' legal systems, and kinda silly when you consider that the patch itself is probably illegal to begin with.
Elite Marksman
Watchman

Unread post

I can't think of any reason for the patch to be illegal. Technically it is a mod, being released to add what we thought were important issues and fix some bugs.
Elite Marksman
Watchman

Unread post

I'll try to get the translations done as soon as possible, but I'm on a very tight schedule at the moment. I've been averaging about 40 hours of sleep per week for the past few weeks, and expect it to remain the same or diminish in the near future due to real-life commitments. I should be able to have the readme done by the end of march, and maybe one or two of the others, and I can probably finish it all during the first week of April since I have spring break then.

I'm to number 3 or 4 of the what is 1.06 part of the readme, can't remember exactly which, so it's coming along.

A glimpse into my daily life, for those interested:
5:30-7:00 Wake up, shower, eat, make sure all homework is done and finish any I forgot. If all finished, go watch the news.
7:00 Catch the bus to school
7:30-8:00 Socialize/meet with English teacher to talk about my essays
8:00-2:30 School
2:30-3:00 Lunch
3:00-5:00 Meet up with freinds/do homework, depeinding on what we decided and what i have to do.
(5 hours from 3:00-11:00, work if scheduled)
5:30 dinner
6:30- When its done (tm) homework, usually long-term assignments
When its done (tm)-5:30 sleep, usually about 5 hours, sometimes less if I have a lot of work to do.

I finished my essay early, so I'm about to go crash and get a whole 7 hours of sleep!!!!!!!!!!! God I cant wait until spring break where I can catch up on sleep. My parents insist the only reason I'm still alive is the pot+ of coffee I drink daily.

Note: sleep deprivation makes school more interesting because you need to apply those problem-solving skills to a very important problem: what classes can I sleep though and which do I realy, really, need to be awake for. :wink:
milo
Engineer

Unread post

I'll go poking around Molse's forum for a volunteer for the German side. Don't make your life hell just for a game!
Last edited by milo on Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
milo
Engineer

Unread post

Blast! Forgot about the installer. Here's all the user-viewable text in the install script:
  • "Unofficial 1.06 Patch for Railroad Tycoon 3"
  • "The bonehead who coded this patch goofed up. Go yell at milo on Hawkdawg's forum."
  • "Not enough memory to run patch! Please close some other applications and try again."
  • "Sorry - the RT3.exe in the directory you pointed to does not appear to be 1.06."
  • "Sorry - the RT3.exe in the directory you pointed to does not look like one of the versions that can be patched."
  • "Unable to open RT3.exe for patching."
  • "Encountered a problem while reading or writing data. Is your disk full?"
  • "Successfully patched RT3.exe to 1.06."
  • "Successfully reverted RT3.exe to 1.05."
  • "There already appears to be an unofficial RT3 patch installed. Please uninstall it before installing 1.06."
  • "Boilerplate (required)"
  • "Railroad Tycoon 3 patch 1.06"
  • "Install documentation"
  • "Add documentation to menu"
  • "Install source code for patch"
  • "Make Fertilizer Factory buildable"
  • "Set historical growth for Department Store"
  • "DX Goods 0-6-0"
  • "Vittorio Emanuelle II 4-6-0"
  • "G4 0-6-0"
  • "Class G10"
  • "Class S"
  • "BR39 2-8-2"
  • "2-6-2t Suburban Tank"
  • "Princess Royal Class"
  • "Class 5P5F Black 5"
  • "V2 Class"
  • "Class 37"
  • "Class 73"
  • "BR E111"
  • "Class 91"
  • "ICE (Class 401)"
  • "Eurostar"
  • "Mogul 2-6-0"
  • "Ten Wheeler 4-6-0"
  • "Prairie 2-6-2"
  • "P-2 4-8-2 Mountain"
  • "GS-3 4-8-4 SP Daylight"
  • "Royal Hudson"
  • "GP7 Double"
  • "GP40-2"
  • "Make Fairlie 0-6-6-0 available in North America"
  • "Fix Consolidation 2-8-0 dates and pulling power"
  • "Change P8 end date to 1965"
  • "Make Atlantic 4-4-2 available in Europe"
  • "Make Pacific 4-6-2 available in Rest of the World"
  • "Fix Class A1 start date"
  • "Fix Northern 4-8-4 top speed"
  • "Fix E428 top speed and cost"
  • "Fix Zephyr free weight"
  • "Fix E18 pulling power and cost"
  • "Fix F3 end date, free weight, and pulling power"
  • "Fix Challenger 4-6-6-4 start date and maximum speed"
  • "Fix Big Boy 4-8-8-4 start date and maximum speed"
  • "Fix EF 66 start date, end date, and free weight"
  • "Fix GP7 free weight and pulling power"
  • "Change Shinkansen Series 0 end date to 1995"
  • "Fix Class 460 acceleration, top speed, and cost"
  • "Rename USA103 to AMD-103 Genesis"
  • "Rename NA90D to SD-90MAC"
  • "Uninstall"
  • "Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06 documentation"
  • "Building Patches"
  • "New Locomotives"
  • "European Locomotives"
  • "American Locomotives"
  • "Patches to Existing Locomotives"
Elite Marksman
Watchman

Unread post

I'm not making life hell for the game, I already made it hell for school. :evil: As I said, I think I'll be getting somewhat less work in the next couple of weeks, and I have spring break in first week of April where I have nothing better to do than catch up on sleep. Since all the seniors are going away next week, I won't be doing much of anything in my math or physics class, since they are about 90% seniors, so that should free up enough time to get some of the translations done.
milo
Engineer

Translation Pack Available Unread post

I've uploaded a convenient ZIP file to the engmod account that contains the files to be translated. JayEff, if you already started working on the existing files, don't worry; they're pretty close to what's in the pack. We'll be joined by two gentlemen from Molse's board, Hobo and Der kleine Muck, who have volunteered to take on the German translation. Elite Marksman, while you don't have to spend your sleep hours on this anymore, it's likely that we'll need your talents to half-translate some of the more obscure terms - neither of our new guests speaks English as his native tongue, and I doubt they know what a "brass pounder" is, for example.

Target is March 30th at the latest for all files (except probably the CHANGELOG) to be translated. There isn't a real reason this can't drag out into April, except that someone leaked the first beta to Molse's board, and they're not pleased with it.
Lama
Brakeman

Re: Translation Pack Available Unread post

milo wrote:someone leaked the first beta to Molse's board.
Guilty as charged. :oops: I was just so proud of your work, Milo!
milo wrote:and they're not pleased with it.
That is an overstatement. My impression was that they were as happy as several bugs in a big rug to have a new toy, with some minor whining by people who had missed the disclaimer that this was not yet the final, polished version; which same people were quickly reminded of this disclaimer by the host. :roll:
Hobo
Cat

Unread post

Hello,

I'll beginning with the translation of Locomotive Pack README.rtf to german.

Hobo
bombardiere
Dispatcher

Unread post

uuuuuffffff I am losing my head constantly :roll: :roll:

Hobo please only translate the introduction. There will be some changes to the engine selection. I have sent the latest file to Milo. And I have two new skins GP7 Double and GP40-2 and these needs to be credited for 80_Meadows.

If anyone hasn't noticed, I am terrible with documentation........
Hobo
Cat

Unread post

OK, I will translate README_106.rtf
milo
Engineer

Unread post

Bombardiere finalized his doc. There's a slightly updated translation pack available on the engmod account as xlatpack2.zip. The two loco RTF files are the only ones that have changed significantly, and most of their alterations involved removing locomotives that are no longer part of the 'standard' pool.
Hobo
Cat

Unread post

The "Readme_106" and the "Loco Readme" are to 95 % translated.
Elite Marksman
Watchman

Unread post

Hobo, wenn Sie eine Wort nicht verstehen, schiken Sie mich eine PM, ich werde Ihnen helfen.