Another Fine Mess!

A private forum for those folks working on patches for RRT3.
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Another Fine Mess! Unread post

I've run into a problem which I'm sure you guys can soon solve. As you know, I got the new computer and I've been re-installing everything. I installed RT3, Coast-to-Coast, 1.05 patch, 1.06 patch. Fine!
Then I realised I didn't have the very latest - cargoes, buildings,etc and re-installed them - looked back on the threads here to see how.
So now I can't open any map at all in the editor or the game :shock: - as soon as it starts building databases it throws up one of those Microsoft error messages - the ones that say please send to Microsoft (which I haven't done) - and closes RT3 down.
Help!!
pure al
Dispatcher

Unread post

Try deleting all the various extras (not patch 1.06), there might be something not compatible, then install one thing at a time, testing everytime. Maybe live without the new buildings and cargos until Milo puts everything together.
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Unread post

I'll do a little testing and see if I can find what's causing the problem.

BTW, did you have a look at the test scenarios yet? I've got a little supply-production-demand chain going but of course at the moment it's only using warehouses, not proper buildings. Course, I can't remember which scenario it's in - Angel Island, I think. I was trying to open them when I ran into this problem.
pure al
Dispatcher

Unread post

Yes I have tried Freight Train a few times now, I'm rubbish at RT3, and couldn't get a bronze no matter what strategy I tried. In my last game no building was demanding either rock or coal, so I had to build a cargo port (the one that demands the two cargos) and that wiped out all my cash. I can't play the game the way everyone else does, so I make my own scenarios that I know how to beat :lol:

And yes I've taken a peek at Angel Island, but haven't dared to play it yet. I was hoping someone with a little more knowledge of the game would give comments. I'll try to spend a few hours on it tomorrow.
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Unread post

I think the machine actually knows what you're thinking. If you restart often enough it gets the picture and gives you what you want. That's probably not the best advice in the world. Sorry! In the middle of a spectacular storm and must switch off the computer!!!!
pure al
Dispatcher

Unread post

Does anyone want to give me a small step-by-step walkthrough? Really what should I do first? I read somewhere that buying industry early is the best way, then just buy track and trains right at the end?
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Unread post

Boy, are we getting off-topic again! :oops:
However, I uploaded a game called "First Steps" which I actually made for my daughter in the hopes I could get her interested (basically because I want her to paint my scenarios, which is definitely not my favourite bit!). It's a kind of stage two tutorial, if I remember rightly. It might help.
I'm sure there should be a walkthrough on the forum somewhere - maybe it was something we lost when the teenyhackers got in last year. If not, I'll do one when I've the time. At the minute I'm just being driven crazy by trying to re-install stuff on this new computer, not just the game stuff but now it won't install Office 97. Yet it will still run my spreadsheet??? I don't understand what's going on at all!!!! |--0
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

In keeping off-topic :wink: I don't think Office 97 will install on XP. I run Office 2000 with no problems.
Hawk
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Unread post

Oh b***er!
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Unread post

Oh b***er!
Edit: and why do I keep getting this double-posting thing?
Edit 2: that was a rhetorical question. I know it's because I'm too impatient and double click by mistake :oops:
Last edited by Grandma Ruth on Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Do you double click on the 'Submit' button?

I fixed the other double post. I'll leave this one though since it's pertinent to my post. :D
Hawk