BCA Roadmap tool

A private forum for those folks working on patches for RRT3.
WPandP
Engineer

BCA Roadmap tool Unread post

I decided I needed a little bit of visual help with my BCA hex editing, and so I took the info that is in the text file by PJay (available elsewhere on this site) and built an Excel file out of it. I wanted to see where each of the variables fits into the whole file, using my hex editor's default 16 column view (4 groups of 4 across). I did all this as a second sheet within the Excel file contained in the "BuildingPlannerMRR.zip" file, available at my web page:

http://wpandp.com/RRtycoon.html

If there are any other aspiring building modders out there, please take a look at this tool and let me know if it is useful, or how it could become moreso. It seems that we could do a similar thing for all the other hex-edited files, though maybe the loco files have too many potential values to list them discretely (so many sets of driving wheels, trucks, etc.). I know this version is incomplete, because I don't yet fully understand what I am doing! So if you have extra information, let me know and I will get it in there.

Obviously a lot of the credit for this tool goes to PJay, since this is really just a translation of his work into another format.
=Winchester, Paston & Portsmouth=
====== We Provide Pride! ======
pure al
Dispatcher

Unread post

Hi WPandP, I don't remember you but I modded/created a few new buildings back when I was a regular. We (the patch gang) also made some new cargos which you've probably seen around or heard about. Are you more a hex coder person or a texturer (or do you do both)?

Hi to all! :D
WPandP
Engineer

Unread post

I just joined this forum back in September; I've seen that I am late to the party! I do know about the extra cargoes, but I have been holding off on installing the 1.06 patch because I want to ensure the scenario I've been working on doesn't end up requiring 1.06. I already have it utilizing a bunch of custom content, like engines and logos, including stuff that I have created. I've tossed around the idea of doing a second install of the game, and patching that up to 1.06, then downloading content into it; this would be a way for me to check my own creations, as well.

Last month I would have said that I am just a texturer, not a coder, but the more I've delved into it I do know enough about the hex editing to be dangerous. I prefer to leave the code to others, but seeing how things really work lets me dream about what is possible. I'm in the middle of exploring the creation of additional car types, such that a reefer carrying produce might look different from a reefer carrying meat, without using the load icon overlay. I've successfully diferentiated iron and coal already.

I'll get back to the buildings eventually. I can definitely sign up to do one or more of the 1.06 industries, which I know are currently just placeholder warehouses.
pure al
Dispatcher

Unread post

I think we still need a Blender plugin to export 3D models into RRT3. While I was away I did make a lot of blender models, just not for this game. Anyway, I'll be looking out for your work WPandP.
bombardiere
Dispatcher

Unread post

Hello Al, nice to see you again. :)

Just to let you know guys, I did quickly couple buildings for Milo's patch. Hospital and Construction Firm. I felt that the Warehouses were too large for city buildings. I have sent these buildings to Milo for his comment, but I haven't heard from him. Busy I guess.

Actually I think it is good that we can't export 3D to RRT3. :twisted: Because if we could, I would never have enough time to finish all project I dream of. :D I probably would want to model every single British locomotive ever made to RRT3 :roll:
pure al
Dispatcher

Unread post

Hi bombardiere! Sorry I've been away so long, I ran into the same problem Milo did, if you know what I mean :wink:

We do need a 3D Blender exporter plugin, it would be useful to make things more 'unique' looking, but I do see your point :D

Did you re-texture the two buildings or setup cargos?
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Unread post

Watch out, Al! Don't spend too much time on the computer! :wink: :wink:

I did a "hospital" in one of the testing scenarios - based on that I would suggest cargoes to be: passengers and mail both demanded and supplied, medecine and machinery demanded and waste supplied. Actually it should demand everything a house does when you think about it, food, goods, lumber, etc. Could it be based on a house maybe?
bombardiere
Dispatcher

Unread post

I made two new skins for Milo's patch 1.06 buildings. I used Department Store for the Hopital and Custom House for Construction Firm.

I don't know Milo set it up, but an idea that Hospitals should produce Waste is a good one.

Pure AL, yes something similar here too. Now that "free" student life is over, I have much less time for RRT3 etc.
WPandP
Engineer

Unread post

Bombardiere:

Say it isn't so! There's always time for RRT3, right?

Actually, I really wish I had more time too. My only time is a few hours each night, after I come home from work, and that is why it is taking me so long to finish my own projects. If anything else comes up, such as needing to do laundry, well then I don't get to mess around with train skins that night.

But you gotta find a way to make time, and structure your projects so that they are achievable in short bursts. The rolling stock project for me is something that I can work on one car at a time, so it almost doesn't matter how much time I devote to it; I just get the next car done, and then if I have time I go on to the next one. If not, then I'll come back to it eventually...
pure al
Dispatcher

Unread post

I too only finished my 'free' student life a year and a half ago, so it seems our age isn't too different bombar. But lets not share our ages with the rest of the folks here :D

Were my building textures used or did I never unpload them onto the ftp? I could look for them if they're needed...
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Unread post

pure al wrote: But lets not share our ages with the rest of the folks here :D
On the original forum we had birthday greetings, which I thought was quite nice. (5th January, in case you were wondering.....) :wink:

I uploaded your buildings if you can't find them - I'm at work so I can't get at them right now. I'll look tonight if I get time. :)

Edit: yes, he used the quarry and the ore mine
Last edited by Grandma Ruth on Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Grandma Ruth wrote:On the original forum we had birthday greetings, which I thought was quite nice. (5th January, in case you were wondering.....) :wink:
That test forum has that. This version doesn't. The software I used for the original forum now costs $150.00 (USD) plus $50.00 per year. :cry:
Hawk
bombardiere
Dispatcher

Unread post

pure al wrote:I too only finished my 'free' student life a year and a half ago, so it seems our age isn't too different bombar. But lets not share our ages with the rest of the folks here :D
Well, I think that I am slightly older than you. I roamed around the world many years before I went back to uni. Including three years in the “Big Smoke”.

I think Milo used your quarry building. And I think something else. But I don’t have RRT3 installed at the moment. Last week I decided to make a clean sweep of my harddrive and I formatted everything. I hope this time I remembered to back up everything. (Last year I didn’t and I lost a number of my projects… :roll: )

WP&P Sadly at the moment it is only about 2 hours hobby time for a whole week. And as I mentioned you privately, I am more interested in real 3D modelling these days. N-gauge railway model, that is.
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Unread post

Hawk wrote:The software I used for the original forum now costs $150.00 (USD) plus $50.00 per year. :cry:
:o :(