Iceland

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Iceland Unread post

The following text is a compilation of what was salvaged from the old Gathering Forum. It contains postings from several different people.
Thanks goes out to Wolverine for putting this all together.

Hawk

Iceland
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey!
I've put up a new map of Iceland over at the Cyberail forum, with normal/hard difficulty.
If you're not a pro at building in mountainous regions when you start this map, you will probably be so after gotten the gold medal.
Thanks to RSH for making the .tga-file.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Got it, thanks to you both
It works for me.
You need to be a member at the forum to download. If you're already a member, check that you are logged in. It should work if you are logged in there.
Quote: Thanks to RSH for making the .tga-file.

He does a good job.
I'll pop over and have a look once I catch up with the 5 or so user made scenarios I still have left to play.
I hope you were not so cruel as in your Africa mission. 1.9 millions of blackmail demands in the first 2 yrs was too much for me :sigh:
What is it this time, an avalanche every other month ? A glacier breaking apart and dropping on my hub ? A reindeer stampede blocking the track ?
think I've got no other choice than download and find it out.
wrote: I hope you were not so cruel as in your Africa mission. 1.9 millions of blackmail demands in the first 2 yrs was too much for me :sigh:

What is it this time, an avalanche every other month ? A glacier breaking apart and dropping on my hub ? A reindeer stampede blocking the track ?
think I've got no other choice than download and find it out.
Well this map is horrifyingly free from events (and I love to write events ), so you should be ok as long as you stay away from the glaciers.
wrote: If you're not a pro at building in mountainous regions when you start this map, you will probably be so after gotten the gold medal.

Ahem, I hope you have included a tunnel cost reduction bonus, as an indemnification for our suffering in Africa, Erik ?
any hints? the connection I can make but after that I go to pieces
OOps never mind about the hints, I finally got the gold this morning.
Great map, look forward to seeing more from you
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finished this PM. Great map! Thanks much.
rough grounds, man !
15000 loads is too much for me, a 3y depression period brake my neck.
great map, anyway
What is the url for this place?
Cyberrail has been down for a while, I'm sorry.
If you can receive 3.6M e-mail attachments, I will send you the file...
Jeremy Mac Donald
Watchman

Re: Iceland Unread post

So I've gotten back into playing RRT3 and I downloaded this map...again. Years ago I tried to beat this scenario (on normal difficulty) and had some significant trouble. I've come back to it and tried twice today and have so far lost both times. Its really the cargo requirement thats killing me. Anyone have any hints on how to beat this scenario?
Gandar
Brakeman

Jeremy Mac Donald wrote:So I've gotten back into playing RRT3 and I downloaded this map...again. Years ago I tried to beat this scenario (on normal difficulty) and had some significant trouble. I've come back to it and tried twice today and have so far lost both times. Its really the cargo requirement thats killing me. Anyone have any hints on how to beat this scenario?
I played this before but have no memory of what strategies I used so I played it again today, I started in Reyjkavick and connected the three cities thereabouts,and simply railroaded, moved into the grasslands with all the grain farms put in a couple of breweries and dairy proc and just connected up one town after another. I hit gold with 5 years to spare and I didn't do anything except buy stock for 4 years before that, for the last few years I was hauling over 1000 loads PA so although the requirement sounds a lot it is very achievable. No special tricks just buckle down and keep on connecting.
I got up and the world was still here, isn't that wonderful ?
Jeremy Mac Donald
Watchman

OK thanks. I tried it a third time recently and got very close. I think I'm laying track thats too expencive (I'm just tunnelling through mountains) and thats resulting in less money to connect up cities. I'll go back and be more careful with the track laying in order to have more money to connect cities and see how that works.
Jeremy Mac Donald
Watchman

So I did it with about 3 months to spare (photo finish basically). That said I'm sure I could have done significantly better. This time I was more careful with track and that did result in a very significant number of extra cities ultimatly being connected. However I spent to much time messing around with industry - not a scenario requirement and most of the industries went up and down in terms of making money during the scenario. They all made money but they might have only a quarter of the resources they could have processed in any given year with the odd boom year and alternatively the odd bust year. Ultimately I don't think they were worth the time and effort I devoted to them considering that industry profits were not a scenario requirement while carrying cargo was. Also I realized late in the scenario that my default practise of leaving the trains to carry a mere 4 cars back and forth really did not make sense with the very powerful modern electrics I was running and I should have allowed them to carry 8 cars if they could do so profitably. The engines are powerful enough to do this even on tough grades and not slow down that much. I probably could have shaved years off of how long it took me to win if I had started this practise right from the beginning.
low_grade
Dispatcher

Finished this one today, Gold on Expert in Feb 1987, using 27 of the 30 years allotted. I agree that industry wasn't the way to start. Unless you have rail, most industries would stagnate quickly in their isolated fjord-towns. All the grain and milk and wool on this map might look tempting, but hold off and then build 2 or 3 textile mills/breweries in a hub town and watch the cargo count climb.

Went F3's at first, connecting Reykjavic environs, out to Hella, then in 1964 out to Kirk... Started north after spending a year on industry, Borganes and Bordyeri in 1965, Blonduos in 1967. At this point the economy tanked and I began to doubt my strategy... Big fuel bills and initially huge price differentials going quickly flat. Had a lean year or two but kept plugging away, without new markets I was certainly done for. On to Saudarkrokar and Akureyri in 1969. Made it to Bakkafjordor by 1971, and somehow I was keeping profits building through the recession, and I knew I was going to be okay. Mid game development included several catch depots, grabbing isolated stacks of grain, wool, and milk for great profit while keeping industries supplied. I don't normally see enough profit in doing that, but in this scenario I think it works.

I kept my stock margin at -$1M, and was up to $20M PNW when I made the cargo goal. I'd been saving up for the last couple years for stock buybacks and that did the trick.

Remarkably well balanced goals, in my opinion, and simple, and yet they lay out of fairly narrow path to gold. Well crafted scenario. Terrain isn't tedious, though it is difficult. Nothing an F3 can't handle with ease, though. I did lay a number of long-way-around routes rather than trying to climb over or tunnel through a couple of the ridges that were smack in the way (I used no tunnels or suspension bridges.) Midway through I converted Reykjavic area and out to Hella to electric and swapped the F3's for Class 103's to ease congestion, deleting a couple F3 routes in the process. Later in the game I used some HST's, but discovered their maintenance bill is ridiculous, so I'd say use them only for profitable lines that are a bit congested and mostly flat. Also used some FP45's after 1981 when the F3 goes away. I'm sure those are a download, though, but very nice addition to the diesel options, though not quite as good as the F3, I think.

I played in 1.06 if that matters, not sure how the gameplay would have been very different in 1.05.
Attachments
iceland.jpg