This is Sweden

RRT3 Map & Scenario Strategies and Beta Test Reviews.
Sugus
Engineer

This is Sweden Unread post

Gave it a try on normal today. Started 1955 in Stockholm by laying tracks and buying or building industries in Malardalen, Sormland and Dalaran. Constantly fulfilled this way the yearly industry pofit of over $5'000'000 by 1967. Now, made a second statup around Boden(Norbotton) and began to build the required connections. Everything was completed at end of 1975, but no medal was given.

Immediately, I had a look to the scenario by means of the editor and saw, that I have to wait until the 25th year. Hmmm - I always expect to be able to get Gold before the maxium game time has elapsed.

So, from my point of view there are the following annotations:

(1) The introduction as well as the ledger should be more clear: specify time range and exactly the conditions to met for Bronze, Silver and Gold. (Start new text lines with <Ctrl>-<Enter> instead of trying to layout the text by means of spaces.)

(2) There are too many types of locomotives. (Select the european ones only or especially those which where used in scandinavia.)

(3) Delete the condition "year = 25" for Gold, so that the player could win before 25 years.

(4) RT3 resets the yearly things at the very beginning of each year. For this reason, you can't present a "yearly profit" within the ledger. This is shown by means of the following two screen shots:
Tis01a.jpg
Tis02a.jpg
If you would do it, you have to make a workaround by means of a variable.

Nevertheless, I think is's a nice map and it was fun make this beta-test. !*th_up*!

BTW: While posting I saw, that an updated version got available. Downloaded it and found, that there were no "corrections" made related to the remarks above.
There's no business like RT business ...
belbincolne
Engineer

Re: This is Sweden Unread post

Just played this and agree with everything Sugus says. Got to Gold in 24 years and packed in - see now I'd have to wait a bit to get it. I agree that its a good map although the scenario itself is a little on the easy side. Not sure what Sugus means by 2nd start-up as lines have to be connected. I built a line between two towns but then mostly concentrated on industry and despite one (Auto) being totally useless had no difficulty at any time.
Sugus
Engineer

There is no special condition forced which forbids unconnected tracks! So, I could start with a second network in the north ... :-)
There's no business like RT business ...
belbincolne
Engineer

Oops - yes, sorry. Got so used to playing connected track scenarios that I never even tried it here :evil:
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Very nice map visually and topographically, but not much of a story line or challenge.
Moggie
Conductor

Picked up a typo on the Finnish side of the map. Without Scandinavian characters, the spelling is Jyvaskyla, not Jyvaskylle.
Moggie
Dogs have masters, cats have staff.
Trainmaster's own Skimbleshanks :)
RayofSunshine
CEO

Here is another great scenario. Great topography and concept of challenge. I just do not visualize all the territories of $2-5M, of which totals $23M, basically only Steel Mills in the initial authorized territory, and yet the 'iron' is a couple of territories distance. And there is the goal for LIP, when a total of $3M per year, gives great economy for the whole country. $3M a year??? WOW, when all the industries start at $1.7M to purchase. The cnn of the required cities are understandable, it is just the revenue which is required, which seems of considerable amounts to connect them. Maybe I am just getting to an age that my reasoning is getting rusty *!*!*!

However, I do hope that some strategies are given, which may help my playing endeavors, as it does have some good challenges, in a great terrain. :salute:
AakeL
Hobo

All over it! Unread post

:oops: I'm now allover this map's "this is sweden" scenario, it's terrible. Tons and loads of flaw's and incorrect things. Starting allover on this map scenario, ihope to make it better. Learned alot lately but not as much as i wish(still a newbie i'm afraid), should be more intresting and correct when sending it next time. Ihope you can bare with me for now. AakeL PS.Like to have more color on and fixed some mountains that was crocked. DS
Last edited by AakeL on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
belbincolne
Engineer

Dont worry - your English is far better than my Swedish :-D :twisted: :shock: :-D
RayofSunshine
CEO

Anyway I am not getting any where with this screnario. Wish some of your Tycoons could start a STRATEGY tread. It would be appreciated, as I do believe that it is interesting, even though some believe that it is "easy", and not much of a challenge. *!*!*!

Sort of a pun as "one's junk is someone elses treasure". ::!**! Appreciated !!howdy!!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

A new version is now available.
Hawk
Blackhawk
CEO

Well as for strategy for this map. I'm not really sure what to say about it. I started by connecting Sodertalja and Nynashma with 1 large station, then Eskilstuna, and Orebro. Then as more money rolled in I expanded south to the edge of the territory and built as close as i could to the border to cover Norrkoping. I then worked to get access to Malardalen so i could connect to Stockholm-Uppsala-Vesteras.

After those connections, I didn't expand for awhile. I focused only on industry. I was fortunate to be in good economy times so my bonds ranged from 6-8% (although earlier bonds I took out were at 10% so I refinanced those). Then it was pretty much just a game of buying up industry after industry. Occasionally building another were it would be useful and there were excess raw materials. (I built a lumber yard, paper mill, distillery, dairy processor, and 2 furniture factories up in the Stockholm-Uppsala-Vesteras region and later in the game a furnace by Oskarshamm after a port appeared that delivered rock. The trick seemed to be finding the best value at the time in what industry to buy and trying to buy the industry before it become very expensive, so new industries that spawned were often nice industries to buy up. (ex. around Eskilstuna coal mines kept appearing so I'd buy those cheap) Dairy farms are nice investments as well. By the end of the map I owned the majority of the industries including lower profit yielding farms, logging camps, and mines in Sornland, Malardalen, and a few in Ostergotland.

I got gold on expert in 1970. I waited til the end of the year to buy access into all the required territories to make the necessary connections to get gold and was bringing in lots of cash by then. Since there is no personal net wealth objective, be sure to issue stock every chance you get. Also take advantage of bonds. At one point in the game I had all 20 bonds taken out.

I suppose I used some "tycooning" type tricks/exploits. For the shipping of lumber and furniture I would send them to the place with the lowest price first, then a place slightly higher etc unlike enough were shipped. I also made sure my train filled with these goods reached it's first station at the beginning of the year so there would be enough time to go to all the stations in one year.

For the speed goal. I changed all my engines to freight only (as they weren't really doing much express hauling anyway) and then I bought into Norrland at the start of the year and ran a long flat stretch of track connecting Bollnas to Uppsala. I then bought a C55 Deltic and put 2 express cars on it and had it make 1 trip from Bollas to Uppsala. This 1 run gave me a speed of over 60mph. After that I stopped running any express for the rest of that year. [In 1970, after I already made this run, the Class 103 came out which would have made hitting the speed goal even easier]

I think that covers most parts of the scenario. Mainly make the initial connections, then focus on mainly on industry rather than expanding the rail line.
Blackhawk
CEO

While a few things have been fixed on the map, some others could still be fixed.

-There are probably too many engines still. (fewer Locomotives/Engines choices)

-The Troop and Furniture events might be missing some of the benefits they say they give.
Event 17 Troops x - "Loading time IMPROVED, track cost DOWN, Ammo Production UP" -- But it's missing the EFFECT decreasing track cost.
Event 18 furnit x - "Passenger production and price UP" -- But missing EFFECT increasing Passenger Price.

Other issues:
-The lumber/troop/furniture events would be nice if they displayed how much you have delivered in a year.
You can use multiple events as status/ledger events. I uploaded your map here with a few translation/spelling corrections to it. At the end I added a few events for the status/ledger page so you can see you can use multiple events and still have them appear on the status/ledger.
-Event 17 Troops to - In the message it says "8 loads of TROOPS" - The other troop events test for 12 loads though so I think this was meant to be 12 not 8. (fixed in attached file)
-by Oslo there is a little bit of VASTRAGOTLAND territory that shouldn't be there. It should be part of the DALARNA territory. (fixed in attached file)

Nice work for a first map. Good luck on your future maps. If you have any questions just ask. !!howdy!!
Attachments
Sweden-fix-1.rar
(2.51 MiB) Downloaded 312 times
AakeL
Hobo

To Blackhawk from AakeL. Very interesting reading and a serious review, I've downloaded your rarfile and will have a likewise serious look at those changes you,ve made. It took awile for me to answer this post (somewhat sorry for that) i am into a new map "English countryside" and its taking almost half of my living days. Getting back to you later also, when i have read and checked things further more. Thank you my friend in these matters. AakeL
RayofSunshine
CEO

Well I see that Blackhaw was able to get Gold in the Expert. I am not the expert, as I am never able to get an adequate amount of revenue to expand. Espeically when the access amount are of such an amount. But that isn't anything new. I have the same problem trying to purchase industries as well. But in this scenario it is both. Will have to try another "boot" to see if I can get a better economy, as the last 2 didn't produce being able to get an access to any territory. *!*!*! **!!!**