Prometory Trivia

Historical topics from around the world.
RayofSunshine
CEO

Prometory Trivia Unread post

Now I have posted this article in The Terminal as well.

I ran across an article which I don't know if most are aware of "all" the articals (items) which were used in this Historical event. Most of which I have ever see published. Although there was a documentary of the event of this track connection.

We always hear about the "hammering in" of the Golder Spike, but not much if any thing about the items which were used. Let me explain.

Although the "spike driver' was of a common manufacture, it is part of that "historical event, but no article of which I have ever seen indicating its present location or ownership.

Naturally the Golder Spike is the "ultimate" conclusion of the event. But, there were "2" Golden Spikes, both of which were manufactured in, and was presented by the State of Utah. There has been some documentation of them, indicating their present location and/or ownership, but I don't remember the results of that documentation. However,, it must be in some website.

With that said, there were also "2" other spikes, which were made of Silver. "1" was presented by the State of AZ, and the other from the State of NV. The mentioned previous documentation of the Golden Spike, did not mention these Silver Spikes, of which again, I don't know of their location or ownership.

Now we come to the "sleeper", which holds the track to the "tie". Loss of memory, as I don't remember its metal consistence. But I do know that there also was not any mention of this in the said documentary.

Lastly, the "tie" was made from California Laurel. I don't know the properties of "hardness", but is probably of a "hard wood" consistence.

To give an ending to the information which the article I read. Although the regular spikes, sleeper, and tie was removed, for a couple of months after the "joining", such replacement spikes, sleeper, and the tie were removed (stolen) a few times. There was some investigation made, and found that the "tie" which was stolen, had been cut up into pieces, and sold as souveniers. Nothing was mentioned as to the result of what had happened to the spikes and sleeper.

I believed that it is a article of trivia information, and believe others might find it of interest.
Excuse the sentence construction and spelling being incorrect at times. :salute: {,0,}

>>>>>>>Note added Aug 3rd, as I found this information in a later article. I thought it a point of interest, and to realize that I was unknown aware of it as well. !*th_up*!

Most people know about the "Golden Spike"
However, most do not know that there was an inscribed "prayer":

May God continue the unity of our Country
As the railroad unites the two great Oceans of the World.
Last edited by RayofSunshine on Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Prometory Trivia Unread post

Moved to a more appropriate forum, since this isn't RT3 related. :salute:

Here's a little more info on this subject.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_spike
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I suppose I should have moved this thread to the Railroad History forum to begin with. !facepalm!
Hawk
RayofSunshine
CEO

Well Hawk,
You probably had other things on your mind, considering the problem of having to make another residential move.
Any way, my screen isn't wide enough, so missed your "indicator" that there was a new section of "Railroad History Discussion" on the right of the screen. But I don't do a much of any searching, so not surprised I missed it.
:salute: {,0,}
RayofSunshine
CEO

>>>>>>>Note added Aug 3rd, as I found this information in a later article. I thought it a point of interest, and to realize that I was unknown aware of it as well. But considering the number of "views", those members would probably not read that post again So, hence an additional post on the subject. !*th_up*!

Most people know about the "Golden Spike"
However, most do not know that there was an inscribed "prayer":

May God continue the unity of our Country
As the railroad unites the two great Oceans of the World.