French (and other) RR history

Historical topics from around the world.
cheminot
Brakeman

French (and other) RR history Unread post

Would anyone be interested in getting information about the French railroad history? German? Spanish? other?
Seems that it would be easy enough to do, so... ;-)
"He who knows that he doesn't know anything, knows a lot"
jewish proverb
Lirio
Watchman

Re: French (and other) RR history Unread post

French and Spanish railway history would be very much in my interest. Though only if said history is written in English or Spanish. Je suis desolee que de le français, je sais tres peu. Can read a little better than i can write, but anything more complicated than children's storybooks will leave me completely lost, so historiography is waaay outside of my ability.

What do you have access to?
arop
Dispatcher

:salute: I find french railway history very interesting, but most books are written in French, and regretably I cannot understand that language :-(
Hawk
The Big Dawg

As it says in the description of this particular forum.

Railroad History
Chronicles of Railroad History from different parts of the World.

Feel free to post any history about railroads from anywhere in the world. :salute:
Hawk
cheminot
Brakeman

great!
I already started compiling and translating French RR History - the early years. :-D
jewish proverb
cheminot
Brakeman

They are done and uploaded!

It covers the early years of french railroads from 1827 up 1939 and there are three versions: English, French and Spanish.

There's more to come, of course... :roll:
jewish proverb
thietavu
Conductor

Interesting!

Maybe I should write something about Finland's pretty unique RR history here as well...
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus Crosshair Formula IV mb, Radeon HD7870, Samsung 850EVO SSD, M-Audio AP192, Windows 10-64, Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06. & TM, Train Simulator 2016, MSTS + many add-ons, Trainz!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

That would be good. :salute:
Hawk
Lone Cat
Brakeman

Okay. french RR history, but what about Siam? (And why the RR systems in Siam is sometimes called the 'Colonial Railroad' despite the fact that Siam never been fully annexed by any European empires.

The local versions of RR history were quite politically biased.

This is actually the real earliest road diesels, built around the same time as EMC500 (The 'Zephyr' seen in RT3 add on), both were originally built with cabs on each end, and box noses (which it seems to house something in it, not just a stack of safety weights. too bad none of the prewar RSR Diesels were streamlined! the first streamliner the RSR (now SRT) ever had was the "Davenport 500" delivered after the war, actually the first postwar diesels delivered to Siam. This thing would looks alot better if streamlined. (Basically the RSR should consider buying a metric gauge version of the EMC500 instead :P )
Interestingly enough. both Frichs and Davenport locomotive works went out of business once they struck a deal with Siamese.
RayofSunshine
CEO

Actually, any history of railroads are interesting. Some of them are fairly short in contents, but none the less, it does make for some backgrounds of the different engines, used by different countries. Now as to whether I am able to read such history in other than English, that does present a problem. At one time, I did go to some translator webs, but as one of the members indicated, the translations are not necessarily complete in trying to understand them. BUT, a person does get the general meaning. :salute: {,0,}