Disused Stations in the UK

Historical topics from around the world.
proudcanadian
Conductor

Disused Stations in the UK Unread post

This is a really interesting site I found about a year ago. It's a project trying to document all the abandoned or closed stations found on British Rail lines. I'm sure Grandma Ruth knows something about this, as apparently in the 1960's, British Railways closed a ton of rail lines. There are currently 1017 !*00*! Stations on this site, and the list is STILL growing.
Still, It's pretty interesting and tells a lot about the history of Railroading in the UK.

Here's the link
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/stations/
I don't drive a dogsled to work, I don't live in an igloo, and we're the SECOND LARGEST COUNTRY ON EARTH!!!
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Re: Disused Stations in the UK Unread post

Yes, I can just about remember Dr Beeching who closed all the non-profit-making lines and local stations. Didn't seem to get the idea of a railway service, subsidised to make travelling easy and really that concept hasn't come back in Britain to this day. Maybe the need to cut down on CO2 emissions will interest people in public transport again.

I haven't looked at the site yet, but I wonder if it has my favourite ex-railway station, a hotel and restaurant over by the east coast of Yorkshire. :-)
"I will not take 'but' for an answer" - Langston Hughes
pure al
Dispatcher

Re: Disused Stations in the UK Unread post

Interesting site. A few of those aren't too far away from me. Pity most have been completely demolished though. I love old tracks, always found them interesting when I was younger...