Wsherrick, Question

Historical topics from around the world.
Gwizz
CEO

Wsherrick, Question Unread post

I watch a movie of a 2-8-0 in South America climbing the grade to Devils Nose. As it labered up the hill, the exhausts were uneven. I was wondering why.

More wear on the cut off linkage on one side or something else?
Gwizz
CEO

Re: Wsherrick, Question Unread post

I watched part of that movie again and tried to look for how the linkage worked.

While the cut off seemed to be fully open, giving full steam to each cylinder, as the locomotive worked against the grade. One cylinder seemed to work harder then the other, exhausting more then the other giving the uneven sound of the exhaust.

With one lever controlling cutoff to both sides of the locomotive, it must be either an adjustment or wear causing that uneven exhaust.

I have been paying more attention to the sound of other locomotives and it seems uneven exhausts are not that uncommon at least on older locomotives. If an adjustment was needed it could fixed. Wear may well be the cause.
wsherrick
Engineer

I am so sorry I haven't seen this until now. :oops: Please forgive me.

The engine you were watching is what is called,"running lame." She's crippled and forced to work anyhow. By far the most common cause of lamness is that the valves are not set right.
The other causes are also found in the valve gear. A link or rod could be bent or dry from lack of lubrication. But probably it is because the engine is poorly maintained and the valves are out of time with the cylinders. As you know the valves control the admission and exhaust of steam from the cylinders at the same time and if they are out of whack, the engine sounds lame. The engine will still run, but it is operating at a greatly reduced efficiency. Proper valve setting is an art and not everybody has the ability to do it right. Changing the timing on the valves will radically alter the engine's performance either for better or worse. Locomotives with Stephenson valve gear and slide valves easily get out of timing as the eccentric cams on the axles often get loose and slip if the keys holding them to the axle are not kept tight. Hope this answers your question.
Gwizz
CEO

Thanks Wsherrich ,for your reply. The valve gear did look odd.
I'm not sure what kind it was. With more time I may look it up just to satisfy my curiosity.

I.m been busy for 10 days or so helping my youngest daughter with my new grandson.
There was some problems but all is well now. This youngster came just as my daughters landlady decided to stop renting her house and put it up for sale. For 3 or 4 days we just helped with the baby. Then 5 or 6 days we helped them move. Came home today to find over 50 e-mails waiting for me. Needed a rest, so I just sat and read them.

Proud Grandpa
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Congratulations Grandpa Gwizz. :salute: !!clap!!
Hawk
ostlandr
Brakeman

I have a set of instructions somewhere around here for setting the valves on a traction engine ("Steam Engine Guide" by Prof. P.S. Rose)- not sure if that would apply to a railroad locomotive or not.

Best quote from the book: "An engineer who has a tendency to screw the safety valve down should be watched closely. Perhaps it would be best to let him haul water."
Watch this space for Equus Ferrius Corporation's website! Soon to build biomass fueled steam locomotives, and lease a short line. We're going for it!