Rail Laying

Historical topics from around the world.
RayofSunshine
CEO

Rail Laying Unread post

In another book on the travels: Across America on an Emigrant Train, there were some articles pertaining to other than the discomforts which the Emigrants had to endure. Thought you members might find them as interesting as me.
First, the workers for the Union Pacific were mainly Union and Confederate soldiers, Blacks flee the South, failed Farmers and Prospectors, some Native Americans, Emigrant Irshmenn, and a few Women.
The Central Pacific relied exclusively on Chinese laborers. Although small of frame, they were dedicated to their work.

Second, there is some of the article indicating the way the route was surveyed, followed by the graders who removed some obstructions, then the bridge monkies building trestles, being followed by the tracklayers, all with guards to help the team supporters rendering food and clothing for the work crews.

Thirdly, the system of haulers of wooden ties, which were dropped "5 for every 28 ft of rail". A horse drawn flatcar bringing in the iron rail. It was stopped where the rails ended. (My opinion >From pictures the ties appear to be closer than the 4 ft space, which those 5 ties would be spaced.)

Fourth, then 5 men would then pick up the 500-700 pound rails, and put them in place . It was then that the "clamper" and "spikers" went to work. 30 spikes to a rail, 3 blows per spike. ( My Opinion> Early clamps show 2 holes on the outside, but in this case, we cannot assume the the clamps have 4 holes, but only 1 hole on the inside of the track.) As this process was being done, the 'flatcar' was being moved forward. Initially, Work crews could lay 1 mile of track a day, but as work progressed, the average was 2-3 miles could be laid. On phenominal day, Chinese layed 10 miles of trackspike 10 miles in 10 hours. That feat required 25,000 ties and 3500 rails fastening them with 28,000 spikes and 14,000 bolts. (Same basis. 25,000 ties with only 3 holes per clamp.)

Lastly, when the transcontinental tracks were finished, the SP, GN, AT&SF, plus other branch railroads, started to connect to the main lines, bringing the total to 66,000 miles of track by 1893.

There you have it. Although some of you may have known some of the facts, it surprised me to add to the information which I had already known, and found the "stuff" of interesting. Hope you enjoy. :salute: {,0,}
Lone Cat
Brakeman

Re: Rail Laying Unread post

1. Natives as track layers? I've never heard of this before. Everything I know regarding to the natives in the wild west is that the natives are territorial and thus saw the railroads as an encroachment to their land (or country...). yes the Cheyene, the Comanche, Apache, Paiyute... you name it.. wants the railroad projects terminated before it connected with any california rail link.... Which tribe of natives joined the track crews? were they willing to work for the UP (and against their tribes of course!...)
2. And some women doing man's job in the 1866? outside the 'hell on wheels'? is this a real thing?
3. And the size of armed guards. were they called 'mercenary'? By the 1866 did they begin using repeating firearms or did they still using antique weapons like rifled musket? ... or even the Brown Bess? And in the context of 19th century warfare ... were they 'dragoons' ? (these guards were also horsemen for a good reason, too keep pace with construction crews)
4. And by then. did UP also uses steam crane in this track laying project yet?