Railway Snow Sheds

Historical topics from around the world.
RayofSunshine
CEO

Railway Snow Sheds Unread post

Now I did not know if the highway on which my wife and I were traveling between Walensberg and Durango was previously a railway snow shed, but it was impressive. Having that in mind, I will repeat a portion of a book which describes the construction and some information about their history as a quote:

These were impressive structures. The beams were massive. 12 inches wide and 24 inches deep, and the walls soared 25 ft into the air to allow the tall engine stacks to pass through. In addition to covering the tracks, sheds were constructed to protect a number of stations as well as the homes of the station crews.

Children grew up inside those great wooden caverns, playing in the strange dim light, while the wind outside tugged and whistled through cracks in the walls. They also lived with the constant fear of fire. Sparks from a locomotive stack some times set sections of the shed on fire, and it would soon fill up with choking smoke. To combat fires, railroad companies stationed men every mile or so with buckets of water. (end of quote)

Now I am not able to 'copy' the picture of the actual timber structure, but it is in the shape of an inverted "U". The walls went up to meet timbers which were angled to the horizontal overhead timbers.

The snow shed which we traveled through was of the highest point of the highway, and even was given a name, which I believe is Wolf Creek Pass. Off hand, I don't recall the actual structure, but was still impressive.

Just believed that some members may find the information of interest. :salute: {,0,}