Some solution and some question about the graphics issues

Stop by here for help with RRT3 Editor problems and tips.
startor

Some solution and some question about the graphics issues Unread post

Hello guys!
First of all excuse me for my poor language.

It's nice to see that there is still a lot of work going on. But i wanted to talk about a few graphics issues in the game.

First is that textures switch to low quality after a few seconds of the game regardless of graphic settings.

So i found a solution and here it is:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1951127
SOLUTION!

Actually more of a workaround.
After scouring the internet for as long as I can remember, desperate
to be able to play RT3 with sharp textures, I've found a workaround.

Quick Answer:
Go to start> type 'msconfig' without quotes.
Go to the 'boot' tab
Click 'Advanced Options'
Check the 'Maximum Memory' Box
Enter *'3072'
Click Ok, Apply, then restart computer

Longer Answer:
For some reason RT3 can only handle so much combined memory, so if you have a lot of
memory and video RAM, the game can't handle it.

Limiting your system RAM allows the game to work correctly and render the graphics
as they should be in the first place.

Remember to uncheck the maximum RAM tickbox again and restart your computer, if
you need to do something that requires a lot of RAM.

*The maximum RAM you should set may depend on your system
This 100% worked for me. With only difference that I had to enter "maximum memory - 2560" in order to make textures work properly. It's looks like a total amount of ram & video memory must be bellow 3.5gb. My system has 4gb ram and 1 gb video.
So if you have a 2gb video card you will probably need to enter the maximum amount of 1536.
As was said above dont forget to change things back when you are not playing RRT3 in order to allow your system to use the full amount of ram installed.

The second issue is the Hardware T&L checkbox option.

We all know that to make RRT3 work on W7 or Vista the "disable Hardware T&L" checkbox must be checked in options.
And we have a special file in the downloads section of this great site that changes that checkbox to "on" by default allowing us to enter the game.
So everything works just fine. Except the water reflections (maybe there is more but this is what i have noticed). And the reflections are beautiful in this game. They change appearance of the game quite a bit.
And then i noticed that my v1.0 works just fine without Hardware T&L option issues and the water reflections works great. But there is so many important bugfixes in the later patches.
They added this Hardware T&L disabling checkbox feature in the patch 1.02 as i can see from the version history. We know that the patches (exept unofficial 1.06) are only changing one RRT3.exe file and leave all other game files how they are.
There are people on this forum making great mods such as "Trainmaster" in wich those problems are solved. And I would gladly install the "trainmaster" mod but in Russia we have a great localisation of the original game. You know with a soul. So i kinda don't wanna kill the spirit of the game mixing translated parts of the original game with those in english that comes with v1.06 and "trainmaster" mod. Besides there are a lot of people who likes game but not strong enough in english.
So i wonder could someone, who is strong in coding, dig a bit in the v1.0 and v1.05 of RRT3.exe and cut that "disable hardware T&L" feature out of v1.05 and let it handle like it was in v1.0 leaving all other bugfixes.
Last edited by startor on Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
startor

Re: Some solution and some question about the graphics issue Unread post

Oh, so I've realized that it is probably "new fixed v1.0 RRT3.exe" is working properly on W7 & Vista, not original v1.0. I'm not sure about that.
(Why didn't they fixed v1.05 RRT3.exe with all the bugfixes????!!!!!!)
But still it is works fine unlike v1.05. So I'm still asking someone to help.
thietavu
Conductor

Hmm... I have 8 GB or RAM and 1 GB of VRAM = 9 GB total memory. Also, I have the Hardware T&L turned "ON". TrainMaster version of RRT3 at least works just great without any tricks here, as said in many threads. So, it looks like there are many ways to make RRT3 work on Windows 7. As someone suggested, having 8 GB or RAM might be one key solution. Not sure about it, though...
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus Crosshair Formula IV mb, Radeon HD7870, Samsung 850EVO SSD, M-Audio AP192, Windows 10-64, Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06. & TM, Train Simulator 2016, MSTS + many add-ons, Trainz!
startor

You didn't read my post carefully. Your RRT3 works fine cause you have installed "Trainmaster" mod, where these problems (low quality textures and hardware T&L issues) are solved. And i'm talking about clean v1.05 RRT3 without mods.
Spot

If you have W7 have you tried Troubleshooting compatability of game .example:- if program ran perfectly,using XP service pack 2 or any of the other listed.
I had a similar problem myself and that cured it for me.
nedfumpkin
CEO

startor wrote:You didn't read my post carefully. Your RRT3 works fine cause you have installed "Trainmaster" mod, where these problems (low quality textures and hardware T&L issues) are solved. And i'm talking about clean v1.05 RRT3 without mods.
Nope...the TM mod doesn't fix the problem. It works for him because he has Win7.