Upgrading and Windows &

Questions and comments specific to Version 1.06
Jancsika
Hobo

Upgrading and Windows & Unread post

I was away from RRT III for a few years.( Spent it on Sid Meier's Railroads! )
I have version 1.02 and Coast-to-Coast.
I have noticed that there are several patches out, up to 1.06 I believe.
Will I need all the patches or are the cumulative?

Can I just download those patches somewhere? Will they work in Windows 7?, or I need to buy some later version of the game?
Jancsika
nedfumpkin
CEO

Re: Upgrading and Windows & Unread post

Yes, you need to update with some patches, but, you have to determine what you can play. But first....

Upgrade to 1.04 Coast to Coast. Then upgrade to 1.05. If you cannot play the 1.05 RT3.exe , then you must you must use the 1.04 beta Rt3.exe. This is a common problem for Vista, not sure if it is the same on Win 7. You can get all the files from here, they are posted somewhere. This gives you the Poptop default version.

Once you have the above set-up working, copy it to a new folder and you can try out other mods.

1.06 is a user developed patch that adds new cargo, locomotives, industries, etc. to the game. There are also a number of other modifications. 1.06 will not work on Vista.

Trainmaster, like 1.06 is a mod that adds all kinds of things, but is designed to work on Vista and Win 7. It's still in development, but new stuff is always becoming available.
Sugus
Engineer

Hi Jancsika

You've returned to play a great game again! As Ned "mentioned", there are today two ways to play RT3:

Classic: Clean install first, CtC thereafter, Patch 1.05 and - if you're running onto XP - Patch 1.06 as a final step.

On Vista, the story is somewhat new or more
Modern: You're a PC user and gamer ****** to use Vista, so there's no way to get happy with the original RT3. The only thing you should do is to follow Ned's TrainMaster! It's - by intention - made to let Vista (W7?) guys to play RT any more, but effectively, it's more!!!
There's no business like RT business ...
Hawk
The Big Dawg

You can find the C to C and 1.05 patches on this page: http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/rrt3.htm
Hawk
Jancsika
Hobo

Thanks everybody for the quick response. It is almost like a new game for me. I have tried Version 1.02 In Windows 7 and it seems to be working fine.

This is a nice Forum, that I run into when started with Sid Meier's Railroads! Too bad that it did not caught on here.
Hawk was kind enough to post some of my maps at this site. http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/smrr/smrr.htm
Thanks again: Jancsika
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Jancsika wrote:This is a nice Forum, that I run into when started with Sid Meier's Railroads! Too bad that it did not caught on here.
I don't think it really caught on anywhere, even at Firaxis. Hasn't Sid all but abandoned it?
Hawk
Orange46
Dispatcher

Jancsika wrote:Thanks everybody for the quick response. It is almost like a new game for me. I have tried Version 1.02 In Windows 7 and it seems to be working fine.
When RT3 first came out it had serious game play problems. I don't think that they were fixed until 1.05, so I would stronly suggest that you upgrade at least to 1.04 beta (which might be the best you can get), which fixes these problems - such as terror forming (wild fluctuations in elevations due to buildings being generated or stations, etc being placed), extremely slow station approaches (actually, I still experience that in 1.04b), way too much express trafffic being generated as the number of cities with stations increase. 1.06 was a very nice user upgrade to the system that I got to enjoy for all of a month or so before my XP machine died and I swithced to Vista based on erroneous advice (apparently, some Vista users have been able to get 1.05 to work - my nephew did but on a 64 bit version(?).

Do upgrade to the new car set available on this site. That, in and of itself, is like getting a whole new game.
Quality is Job 1.01
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Check this post and see if it helps any.

viewtopic.php?p=19996#p19996
Hawk