Message Toggle

Questions and comments specific to Version 1.06
OilCan
Engineer

Message Toggle Unread post

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I can't find any effect of the message toggle offered in 1.06 . This is the the little check box between the message panel and the timing options - shown below. I read and re-read and re-read again the description for this toggle in the 1.06 Patch Readme file. But, when I test it with trial events, I can't find that it does anything. Any insight would be helpful.
Msg Toggle.JPG
Msg Toggle.JPG (4.86 KiB) Viewed 3875 times
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Re: Message Toggle Unread post

I noticed the same thing. Does it work in TrainMaster?
nedfumpkin
CEO

Game messages don't work in TM, but dialogues, newspapers and choices do.

For newspapers, you first set up a choice and put your third headline into one of the choices, then switch it back to newspaper. This will give you the ability to override the default silly headlines and put one in of your own. I've done that in CA01 - Birth of a Nation and I use the thrid headline to give hints of things to come.
davey917
Hobo

If you have the Readme.pdf for the 1.06, it's item 27.

In short de-selecting the "X" allows a dialoged event to display all iterations of the event. I'd say 90% of the time this would have no purpose, as an event would affect all companies equally (I.E. each company pays $100,000 in taxes).
However, 1.06 allows for the ability to do mathmatics in effects. In essance, in my example, each company would pay, let's say, 10% in taxes. De-selecting the 'X" would show each company's tax payments in the dialog type selected. (WARNING: if there are 10 companies, that would be 10 dialog appearances to contend with. :roll: ).

Usefull mainly for testing events and their effects, but could also be of interest to a player.
OilCan
Engineer

I think you might have hit upon something here. I'll create a trial map with some test events and let you know what I find out.
OilCan
Engineer

Davey917:
Your right! I did a simple test of the message toggle with a monthly tax event on four companies. With the toggle unchecked (no X), the dialog box, which said 'Tax time for [company name]', appeared for each company every month. It appeared for each interation of the condition statement. When the toggle was checked (X), the dialog box only appeared for the last company which joined the game - the last interation of the condition statement. The X is the 1.05V mode.

So, the toggle does work. As you said, it may be helpful when testing events. A practical use of this in a real game excapes me.