Doesn't seem to work

Questions and comments specific to Version 1.06
nedfumpkin
CEO

Re: Unable to play downloaded maps Unread post

I'm not really clear what you are doing.

Maps come in zips or rars. They are extracted to the maps folder, which will have gmp files. They should show up in that folder.

If you ran your patches in Vista and you didn't do it as administrator, you have to do it again. It won't install correctly and will still say that it did.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Unable to play downloaded maps Unread post

If the files you download are zips, and you unzip them straight into the maps folder, WinZip will create a sub-folder in the maps folder and RT3 won't see the gmp inside of that sub-folder.

Also remember, maps that are made in 1.05 will not show up in the map selection list of 1.06. That's why a lot of folks have different RT3 installs. A 1.05 install, a 1.06 install, and if you want to try it, a TM install.

Here's a link on how to set up multiple installs. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2363

I merged your 2 topics since they are on the same subject. ;-)
Hawk
Dad
Hobo

Re: Doesn't seem to work Unread post

Thank you Hawk, I appreeciate your time.
My files download as ExtractNow files, should I ununstall the program and try winzip?
As for different versions, will the maps not all work with 1.06?
Paul
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I'm not familiar with the ExtractNow program, but WinZip is a good program, although it is shareware. You could also try 7Zip, which is freeware. I've not used it but others that have speak highly of it.

Maps that were created for 1.06 are noted in the comments box (the section on the right in each maps box) for the download. If it doesn't specifically state the 1.06 patch is required, it's safe to say it will work in 1.05. If it doesn't specify any version it will also most likely work in 1.05.
1.06 maps will work in 1.05 but may not play as intended due to the changes that were made in the 1.06 patch.

1.06 maps will not show in the map selection list of 1.05

All maps should work in 1.06 but again, may not play as intended if they were created in 1.05 or earlier.

If you're running Vista, it might be advisable to install RRT outside of the 'Program Files' folder, IE; someplace else on C drive, due to Vista not allowing files in the 'Program Files' folder to be written to.

Hope that helps. :salute:
Hawk
Dad
Hobo

You are the man! Does Win 7 work any better than Vista?
Paul
Hawk
The Big Dawg

It's better than Vista, from what I hear (I still run XP), but as far as installing stuff into the 'Program Files' folder, it's the same situation.
You do have a little more control over that UAC stuff though with Win7.

Vista was basically a public paid for beta test OS.
Hawk
Moggie
Conductor

Yep. I haven't got very much experience with Vista but I tend to agree with the description that Windows 7 ( ::!**! ) is Vista ( !hairpull! ) like it should have been made.
Moggie
Dogs have masters, cats have staff.
Trainmaster's own Skimbleshanks :)