Bug Reports

Questions and comments specific to Version 1.06
belbincolne
Engineer

Unread post

The AIs really do seem to be (a lot) more intelligent with this patch. I've read of it happening before but never experienced it. Two AIs had quite a lot of my stock and my company was making a fortune so I overextended in buying stock and also spent all my available company cash. Next thing I get the dreaded warning and find I'm so deep in the red that there's nothing I can do - both AIs had sold all my stock dropping the price 50% :(
Capn Twisted
Hobo

Re: Bug Reports Unread post

Not sure if this is a 1.06 problem, or a user created map problem, but here goes. On the 2 maps I have played since installing 1.06 I have had connection problems. I lay track, add a new station, but when I attempt to route a train to it, I get a message stating the 2 stations are not connected. 1 of these scenarios even prohibits building unconnected track. The scenarios were Blue Streak and Canada Bound. In Blue streak I eventually ended up having to remove and replace all the track, in Canada bound, I crashed before I could remove it all.
Women want a lot of things from one man. Conversely, men want one thing from a lot of women.
belbincolne
Engineer

I've found this too but only when I try to add the station to an existing trains route. If I then buy a new train it accepts it - and (I think) I can then add it the one that I couldn't before.

When you don't have the connected track position then its all too easy to think you've connected two lines and you haven't. I always think its said connected x 2 but there must be a finger slip or something cos when you go in as large scale as possible sure enough they aren't.
Capn Twisted
Hobo

I think it is actually a scenario issue, something to do with ambiguous territorial boundaries. In Canada Bound I am trying to run a train from Edmunston to Quebec by way of Arostook (which I have full rights to lay track in via a political event). If I place a station on the NB side of that border all is fine... if I place a station anywhere on the other side of that border, I get the not connected message. If I take the route across the Lower Canada border and along the Gulf of St Lawrence, bypassing Arostook, I have no problems connecting to Quebec. Whether this is the issue or not, I notice the eastern boundary between NB and Arostook stops well short of the river which forms the norther boundary at that particular point.

Likewise on the Blue Streak map, where I ran into trouble was crossing the northern border of Dallas Ft Worth...if I routed my track east over the eastern portion of the same border, and then North, I was able to connect to the towns north of the river which runs to the north of Dallas Ft Worth.

Has anybody run into this issue?
I've found this too but only when I try to add the station to an existing trains route. If I then buy a new train it accepts it - and (I think) I can then add it the one that I couldn't before.

When you don't have the connected track position then its all too easy to think you've connected two lines and you haven't. I always think its said connected x 2 but there must be a finger slip or something cos when you go in as large scale as possible sure enough they aren't.
No this is not the case... in both these cases these stations are a new continuation of an existing line, extending the end of the line to the new town, done in one contiguous laying of track(in the Blue Streak scenario) or 2 long sections (in the Canada bound... with the second section starting well east of the boundary where ther problem seems to be occurring). Even retracing the entire line again, with or without double track, does not solve the problem.
wsherrick
Engineer

I am really sorry you are having issues with the track. I haven't noticed any connection problems on my computer with Blue Streak. Why don't you post a picture of what is happening here and perhaps someone can figure it out.
Capn Twisted
Hobo

wsherrick wrote:I am really sorry you are having issues with the track. I haven't noticed any connection problems on my computer with Blue Streak. Why don't you post a picture of what is happening here and perhaps someone can figure it out.
Never ever apologize for having the talent and the gumption to make a scenario. The person who makes the lamest, buggiest scenario ever still has more talent in one finger, and more ambition, than I ever will. And I am eternally grateful... cause if I had to make my own, I wouldn't have gotten HALF the enjoyment out of this game that I have... That said, I am unable to recreate the same condition in Blue Streak... I have tried several times in the last hour or so. That has me thinkin it MUST have been my fault. 99.9999% of all computer errors are after all more correctly called end user errors... so you have my apologies. Canada Bound on the other hand, I can consistently reproduce. I tried several times today always with the same result. I'll replay it tomorrow and post the results in the appropriate section... the only reason I posted this here is because I thought since it happened in both scenarios I played since patching, that it might have been a patch issue... apparently not.
ChrisW
Watchman

Capn Twisted wrote:99.9999% of all computer errors are after all more correctly called end user errors...
At my first job the programmers referred to those as "user headspace errors". 8-)

I would disagree with your percentage, but then my home computer is still running Win98 SE. Believe me, when the computer freezes up and I have to hit the restart button, it ain't my fault, it's Micro$oft's! (Which makes the subsequent message during the reboot about how it's running ScanDisk because the computer wasn't shut down properly and in future I should shut it down with the "Shutdown" command all the more irritating. :evil: )
Capn Twisted
Hobo

That's still an end user problem... poor choice of operating system heh ;) here is a step by step trouble shooting guide for pc's... 1) is it plugged in 2) is the power on, 3) Do you have a Microsoft Product installed. Most times the problem is one of those three issues ;) God Bless those wonderful folks over at Cedega. Here's a list of games you can play ion Linux using CedegaSupported Games

Thar be a solution to your win 98 crash problem.... yarr ;)
Women want a lot of things from one man. Conversely, men want one thing from a lot of women.
Grandma Ruth
CEO

:lol: Cap'n, why don't I see your smilies properly?
"I will not take 'but' for an answer" - Langston Hughes
Capn Twisted
Hobo

Probably because I type mine out the old fashioned way... before there were graphical smilies. Or becuase that aprticular smiley isn't on the list ;)
Grandma Ruth
CEO

I see ;-)
"I will not take 'but' for an answer" - Langston Hughes
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Capn Twisted wrote:Probably because I type mine out the old fashioned way... before there were graphical smilies. Or becuase that aprticular smiley isn't on the list ;)
If you're referring to a wink, it's in the list, just typed differently. ;-) It's typed with a semi-colon, then a hyphen, then a closing parenthesis. Your version is simply lacking the hyphen.

The way the smiley is typed is configurable by me for each smiley so I chose to add the hyphen. Makes it look more like a face with a nose. :mrgreen:
Hawk
Capn Twisted
Hobo

Hawk wrote:
Capn Twisted wrote:Probably because I type mine out the old fashioned way... before there were graphical smilies. Or becuase that aprticular smiley isn't on the list ;)
If you're referring to a wink, it's in the list, just typed differently. ;-) It's typed with a semi-colon, then a hyphen, then a closing parenthesis. Your version is simply lacking the hyphen.

The way the smiley is typed is configurable by me for each smiley so I chose to add the hyphen. Makes it look more like a face with a nose. :mrgreen:
And there ya have it... I'm just lazy ;)
ChrisW
Watchman

Capn Twisted wrote:here is a step by step trouble shooting guide for pc's... 1) is it plugged in 2) is the power on, 3) Do you have a Microsoft Product installed. Most times the problem is one of those three issues ;)
Amen, brother! 8-)
Wooly
Hobo

So I downloaded the v1.06 patch from the website here, the one listed as the final version on October, 28th 2007. It intalled fine, and the game started up fine, but when I try and start a scenario, load a map for editing, etc, anything like that, the game crashes.

I get this message each time: Pack Element <CarSideView_3.imb > not found

What does that mean?
The only mods I have installed are WP&P's new cereal building, and 3 yard buildings (stockyards, icing platform, and hopper yards). They were all created after the final version of 1.06. However, I think other people have tried these files with v1.06 and not had a problem. This seems just a problem with a mod file somewhere, but I can't tell if it has to do with the other mods I installed. I could uninstall them,but I was hoping it might be a familiar problem someone could easily diagnose.

FYI: I am on a CPU with XP Home edition and a 128MB ATI graphics card .

ADDED: OK, so I uninstalled everything, all versions of the game, and reinstalled everything piece by piece. CtoC and v.1.05 work, but v1.06 still gives me the same error code. Tomorrow I will uninstall everything again, and try to install v.106 without any custom locos, and see if that matters.

Also, I read through this thread and I noticed people talking about problems after 10-28-07, and milo mentioning a few fixes. Does that mean there is another final version, or is that link on this website (User Created Content page) go to the newest version and the date was never changed?

Thanks, Wooly
Hawk
The Big Dawg

The version available at this site is the latest version, to the best of my knowledge.
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

I have another question about the 1.06 patch. The other day I got a little pop-up notice in the lower right of my Windows Desktop telling me that RT3.EXE is corrupted and to run CHKDSK to fix the problem. I did, and not surprisingly, CHKDSK said everything was fine. It isn't. When I try to start the program, I get a DOS window that pops up and then disappears; the game won't start. I look in the program directory and notice that RT3.EXE doesn't have its usual RT3 icon, but instead has the generic Windows icon. I renamed the file and then renamed my previous RT3 1.05 EXE file as RT3.EXE, but got the same result when I tried to run the program. I tried uninstalling the 1.06 installation, but get a message saying that it can't uninstall. I then try to install the patch again, and get the message that the program is already installed and to uninstall it before reinstalling.

Does anyone know what files, folders, and/or registry entries need to be removed in order to make the installer think that the patch hasn't been installed? I really don't want to have to do a "ground-up" reinstallation from the original disks if I don't have to.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Have you installed anything else lately? Programs, Windows Updates?
I assume you're running XP?

Just curious. I don't have any answers. I'm just trying to get a little more info as to why it happened in the first place.
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

I had some problems when moving a lot of data from one hard drive to another. Neither was the one housing RT3, but in the process, another hard drive suddenly lost track of ALL the data that were on it. I haven't been able to recover the data yet, but there may be hope if the Master File Table for the drive has been saved somewhere by Windows. Yes it's XP.

Moral of the story: In the future, I plan to "Copy" files rather than "Move" them. At least the originals will still be intact. There were some problems with some files being corrupted during the move, but I think I have backup copies of most of them.
Gwizz
CEO

Same thing happened to me on my XP machine. It was the address information that was lost. I had copied most everything to my external drive. So it was easy to copy back the info onto the new hard drive. I still have RT2 and 3 on the ME machine. The 106 is on the XP machine.

You might have an extra .exe file. I had a problem with double folders.
Last edited by Gwizz on Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.