Purpose of House as Industry in 1.06?

Questions and comments specific to Version 1.06
OilCan
Engineer

Purpose of House as Industry in 1.06? Unread post

I'm curious about how some of the added industries in 1.06 are designed to work. The 1.06 readme is silent about this.

There are 93 possible 'industries' to enable in the Industry (Overall) page of the editor. 56 are automatically enabled after building a new map. If you leave Church, Cinema, Commercial bulding, Construction Firm, Department Store, etc... unchecked, or disabled, does this mean that they will NEVER appear on the map?

Or were these non-industry 'support buildings' added to 1.06 industry list so that one can enable them and later fine tune their building density?
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Re: Purpose of House as Industry in 1.06? Unread post

I can't remember but I suspect Milo, the main man of 1.06, left these in to act as "bookmarks" in case anybody wanted to build on his work. I know he did leave some of those. Unfortunately we haven't seen Milo in many a long month and the rest of us who were involved in that project have got caught up in Ned's TrainMaster and , in my case, real life has intervened to prevent even that. Oh hum.
Edit: Maybe it was so that you can build these buildings when you're writing the scenario rather than leaving them to be spawned?
OilCan
Engineer

Re: Purpose of House as Industry in 1.06? Unread post

I ran some tests on this yesterday and could not find any function for the non-industry buildings listed in the 1.06 industry list.

I enabled all 94 industries in the 1.06 list. I set up a region which had 100% churches and everything else set at zero - even houses. Houses appeared at the rate set by the building density. No churches had appeared after 5 years.

The same thing occured for cinemas, commercial buildings, customs houses and I quit after hospitals. Only houses showed up on the map - although houses were turned off with a 0%.

I changed the region to 0% for everything, including houses. Houses appeared again and grew at the region's density rate.

Lastly, I created a city with 100% churches and nothing else. Building density set at 200% so 8 industries were set to appear in the city at the start of the game - should have been 8 churches. No. Only 2 construction firms, 1 retail, 1 commercial building, 1 department store, and 2 schools, plus houses. 3 years later...no churches, but a new museum and more houses.

So, it seems that setting the weighted percentage for any of the 1.06 non-industry buildings in the industry list has no effect on their spawing rate on the map - either in a city or in a region. They spawn at the rate determined by the game code.

This is good to know if you are building a game story in 1.06 and you plan to have no department stores appear - it cannot be done.