Strange behavior in laying track

Questions and comments specific to Version 1.06
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Strange behavior in laying track Unread post

I was playing the new LX-suburban scenario and ran acroos a strange thing. I had a section of single, non-electric track that I wanted to upgrade to electric. I didn't notice that I had double-track selected and when I ran the cursor over the track to upgrade to electric, I saw that I had laid double electric track by mistake. I clicked the Undo button, and it undid the electrification, but left the double track (non-electric). It gave me all my money back to boot, so I was able to upgrade to double track at no cost. I don't know whether it's just in this scenario, or a general bug in 1.06, or version wide. I'll do some testing in all three flavors (1.05, 1.06, TM) and see what happens.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Re: Strange behavior in laying track Unread post

Check to make sure that it is really double track by running a train over it. you may find that it just looks that way. At one time I though I'd figured out how to double bridges by placing a double track at the foot of the bridge and it would double the bridge for the cost of a single section. Then I realized that the trains thought it was single track so it was just a visual thing.
Gwizz
CEO

FYI, If RT3 was programed similar to RT2, the loco doesn't follow the track, It is something smaller.
In RT2 this guidance was tagged to the flag on each loco.

In RT2 I built a very high major bridge in the editor. Built the track and then the canyon under it. The trains slowed to a crawl going over the bridge, while and the flag went full speed down the hill, across the valley and up the other side to return to the train that then sped away.

Bridges in both versions have their bugs. When possible It is fun to use the bugs in the game as part of the action.
davey917
Hobo

It's not just the scenario.
I have 1.06 and just now checked: Laying double track electric and clicking "Undo" only removes the electric lines, leaving the double track. The trains do treat it as double track.
I think this goes way back (version wise). I also remember a discussion about a glitch with the game's single- &/or double-track counters. The two glitches may be related.
If this bug had been documented, it would be an Easter Egg feature! :roll:
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

davey917 wrote:I think this goes way back (version wise).
Yes it does. I just tested this morning with V1.05 and see the same behavior. In fact, if you lay a piece of single track, then switch to double/electric and lay two segments, starting in the middle to one end, then from middle to other end, then "Undo", it removes the second piece of electric and returns it to single; then another "Undo" removes the single track (which was part of the original single track) and converts the first laid double track back to single/unelectric. I also noticed that the "cost to place electric track" with the tracklaying tool quotes you a price that is higher than if you select the "electrify all track" button. Looks like a major screwup in implementation of the electric tracklaying routine; one of the many that have cropped up and have been attributed to PopTop's rush to get the game on the shelves before being fully debugged.
OilCan
Engineer

This glitch was mentioned in an older post I once read - but I couldn't find it on this forum. It is a 'cheat' which I have unashamedly used at times.