Patches not working

Questions and comments specific to Version 1.06
madrailman

Patches not working Unread post

Hello everyone, Ive had Railroad Tycoon for several years now, but only recently have had the opportunity to get it up on my new laptop.
It worked like a charm running, then I found this website showing new maps and engines for the game. I think "What the heck, why not?" and proceed to download the various items required for running the new maps and engines. Then the trouble started...
I have downloaded the C to C patch, the 1.05 and 1.06 patch, Ive even tried the vista fix and have read through the forums several times trying to get this to work, but when trying to get the 1.06 patch it gives me an error "Sorry, The RT3.exe in the directory you pointed to does not look like one of the versions that can be patched."
I start RT3 Up and see in the corner it is 1.00 despite having "Succesfuly" installing C to C and 1.05
Ive un-installed and re-installed the game multiple times, when I try and play a game it starts up and immediately after starting the loading process it comes up with the error "Pack element < CarSideView_3.imb > not found"
I have done as much as I can trying to figure out what is wrong, but I am not proficient when it comes to coding or understanding what the problem is or if these two are related.
**!!!**
For computer experts, here are my computers stats:

Computer: HP Compaq
Processor: Intell Pentium Dual CPU T3400 @ 2.16 GHz
RAM: 4.00 GB
Free Hard-drive: 73.5GB / 220GB

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks,
Madman of the rails
nedfumpkin
CEO

Re: Patches not working Unread post

Your patching isn't successful. The pack element error refers to the CTC patch.

First off, do a fresh and clean installation from CD but....not sure about W7, but in Vista you need to do this as administrator. Then patch to CTC which is 1.04. Delete the RT3.exe file then patch to 1.05. The 1.05 patch only contains the RT3.exe file, and Windows Vista...probably W7 too, will not overwrite an exe in the program files folder.

Then make a complete copy of 1.05 to a new folder that isn't in program files. Then run the 1.06 patch...which is a mod not a true patch. Make a shortcut to the exe in this version.

Should fix your problems.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Patches not working Unread post

Another option is to initially install RRT3 outside of the program files folder. As Ned mentioned Vista and Win7 won't let you make changes to a lot of files in the program files directory.
Files that MS thinks might need changing are ghosted to some other directory in the Documents and Settings (or whatever it's called in Vista and Win7) directory somewhere.
Hawk