1.06 Patch and Other add-ons (extras)

Questions and comments specific to Version 1.06
elbowgrease
Hobo

1.06 Patch and Other add-ons (extras) Post

Heya!

I apologize in advance, as I've been reading this forum for a few hours now and I know you guys/gals have answered all kinds of install questions, but *sigh* I gotta ask one more. I did read the readme file included with 1.06, so I did go from a clean install, but I had a few questions about order-of-installation of the extras listed on http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/xtras/xtras.htm

I've installed the following in this order:
(RT3)+(C2C)+(1.5)+(1.5 NO-CD)+(Hawk1.06).

So, now can I go ahead and start installing the extras? Can I now drag-and-drop the new buildings for use in the editor? What about the engines? Can the individual engine downloads be safely used with the new 1.06 stuff ? And the skins, as well ? ---OR--- Is everything listed on that page already included in the "Bombardiere's updated Loco Pack" referred to in the readme2.pdf ? I'd like to see those passenger and troop cars in-game, as well as the hoppers and pulpwood cars.

That EXTRAS page is really, really confusing to me.
Yes I am most definately n00b to modding RT3, but all the same, I'd like to suggest maybe adding a "date uploaded" into the various descriptions on that page. Or maybe a little green dot next to the file which means "OK to install after 1.06 patch" or something like that ? This could also be placed under the filename replacing the "# of downloads" tracker (which, honestly, is meaningless because you never know if half of those downloads went right into the trashcan). It's hard for me to tell what content is new and what is old or already included in the patch (or what will/won't break RT3v1.06). Due to lack of readme.txt files within a lot of those files, I think this would help a lot of visitors to the site.

I'm not meaning for this to sound negative or nit-picky or anything - I just thought I'd give my first impression as a new visitor to the site (Which seems to have a great community and is really very, very rich in content)

Anyway, if anyone could help with any of those install questions I am very grateful. Thanks a million!

-g

P.S. While I was installing 1.06, a dosprompt window quickly popped up and disappeared in an instant. I was eventually able to read the scrolling text. It said something like :

FILE does not match
FILE does not match
FILE does not match
FILE does not match

But my 1.06 seems to work just fine, and the install routine completed successfully. Is this caused by running the 1.06 patch onto a NO-CD version of RT3.exe(1.5) ? The readme said it should work ?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: 1.06 Patch and Other add-ons (extras) Post

Thanks for your comments on the Extras page.
Now that you mention it, I guess it is a little confusing. I'll see what I can do to straighten that out - when I get the chance. *!*!*!

I do know that if you have the 1.06 patch installed you do not want to install the loco pack v-1.0
Most of that is in the 1.06 patch or has been determined to be not as good as it could be, from what I understand.

As for the other locos I honestly don't know. I'm sure someone in here will jump in and set that straight. I need to know anyway so I can make the necessary notes on the Extras page.

I don't believe any of the ReSkins are in the 1.06 patch and I know none of the Wagons and Building and Other Structures by Michael (WP&P) Rountree is included in the patch.

None of the Sound Bytes or Logos are in the 1.06 patch either.

Hopefully that will get you started. I would suggest holding off on any of the engines for the time being until someone that knows more than me pops in. :mrgreen:

BTW! (*!!wel to the forums. :salute:

Edit 1: I went a head and added a note under the Loco Pack V-1.0 about not needing it with the 1.06 patch. As soon as I find out what other locos are not needed I'll make note of that too.
Hawk
milo
Engineer

The 1.06 patch includes a version of the loco pack newer than 1.0. It's not a serious problem if you install the older pack - nothing changed with the locomotive file format, so they all work. The one issue that may crop up is if you decide to uninstall the 1.06 patch after installing the loco pack; that may also uninstall several of the 1.0 pack engines.

I think Hawk's right: none of the reskins, wagons, or buildings on the download page are in the 1.06 patch. Some of bombardiere's British locomotives and his GP7 double made it in, but I don't see any other duplicates. As long as you're installing individually-downloaded locomotives into the UserExtraContent folder and not the PopTopExtraContent folder, you should be OK.
elbowgrease
Hobo

Good Help!
Thanks!
-g