1.06/Loco Patch

Questions and comments specific to Version 1.06
OddBox
Cat

1.06/Loco Patch Unread post

To put a long story short I've registered here to ask for some help on installing and running the 1.06 patch/loco pack as when I try to run a copy of RT3 with either installed (separately as the readme for 1.06 says) the game crashes during loading as I do not have the correct TextureForTests.
I am running Windows 7, the game is: from a CD,
run from a Games folder in the c drive, not program files.
Patched to 1.03, then to Coast to Coast, then to 1.05.
Running perfectly on 1.05 after uninstalling either 1.06/the loco pack, except for having to manually delete the Ten Wheeler .lco and .car files as the profile file for this engine is missing, or not uninstalled correctly.

I hope this is something simple and all help is much appreciated :-)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: 1.06/Loco Patch Unread post

If you're trying to install this loco pack
Click on image to view full size
into a 1.06 install, it probably won't work right. As it says in the 1.06 Patch Readme.pdf
You need to uninstall the loco pack to install 1.06.

BTW! May be this link about multiple installs will help some too.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2363
Hawk
OddBox
Cat

The problem isn't that I'm trying to install one over the other, as I believe the Loco Pack comes in the 1.06 patch(?).
I tried the patch and the message that crashed the game about the missing TextureForTests file appeared when patching 1.06 over 1.05.
After this I uninstalled the 1.06 patch and installed the Loco Pack over the 1.05 patch, and the same message appeared, so it seems that the way I have RT3 installed is not compatible with the Loco Patch, if it is indeed included in the 1.06 patch.
Also thanks for the link, that'll be very helpful if I ever grasp this game properly and want to move on to Trainmaster :-D
Hawk
The Big Dawg

TextureforTests file? I don't believe I've heard of that file. Is that the full name of it? What extension does it have?

That topic about multiple installs also could apply to installing 1.06 as a separate install, as maps made in 1.05 may not play as intended in 1.06 due to the changes made in 1.06.
Also, maps made for 1.06 won't even show up in the selection list in 1.05.
Hawk
OddBox
Cat

When loading the game, before the main screen comes up, it black screens and says:
Program Error
Open PIMipmapChain: Unable to locate a valid DDS, JPG or TGA file for 'TextureForTests'.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Are you talking about this loco pack
locopack1.jpg
or this one?
locopack2.jpg
locopack2.jpg (8.91 KiB) Viewed 6177 times
Hawk
OddBox
Cat

The top one.

EDIT: I should make it clear that I intend to install the 1.06 patch, not the Loco Pack, as a priority, as the Downloads page says you do not need The ‘Un-Official’ Railroad Tycoon 3 Locomotive Pack V-1.0 if you have the 1.06 Patch installed, or plan on installing it. It was just an extra mention as I tested it to see whether the problem originated from the Loco Pack
Last edited by OddBox on Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

OK! That is the loco pack for 1.05, and you're right. It's not needed for the 1.06 patch as those locos have been added/updated in the 1.06 patch.

I just haven't seen that error before. Maybe one of the other more advanced members can help out.
Hawk
OddBox
Cat

Ok thanks Hawk.
I had a search and the only mentions I saw were on a German site and it didn't actually say any solutions, so I'm at a loose end at the minute.
my next plan is to uninstall completely and start from scratch, leaving a copy or RT3 on my computer at every stage.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

In that case, now would be a good time to consider the multiple installs.

You really don't need to save each update. All I have is the original, from the cd's, and 1.05, 1.06, and TM.
installs.jpg
installs.jpg (8.27 KiB) Viewed 6170 times
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Oh yea, as you can see in this screenshot, I also did not install in the default location, even though I'm still running XP. :mrgreen:
drives.jpg
drives.jpg (19 KiB) Viewed 3963 times
Hawk
OddBox
Cat

Will do! !$th_u$!