BAD BUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLZ READ!!!!

Questions and comments specific to Version 1.06
gismoskip
Brakeman

BAD BUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLZ READ!!!! Unread post

ok, i installed RT3, and i installed all the patches, bla bla bla, and then i install the 1.06 patch, and what happens? it won't work. **!!!** then i unistall it. it still won't work. i uninstall everything RT3 and re-install it and coast to coast. IT STILL WON'T WORK. and i try again, and again, and again, and since 11:00 pm saturday night, IT HASN'T WORKED. andy idea what's messed up my RT3, even after destroying the folder? PLZ, i know it has something to do with patch 1.06.
gismoskip, current RT3 player working on the maps of tomorrow for RT3. better belive it.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Re: BAD BUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLZ READ!!!! Unread post

Saying "it won't work" doesn't give us much to go on as far as diagnosing the problem. What happens when you start the game (double clicking on RT3.EXE)? Does anything appear on the screen? Do you get any error messages? What do the log files in the Data/Log folder say? What OS are you using? Did you test the installation at each stage? Are you following the directions precisely? Have you set up separate installs for each "version"? Without some more info we can't give much advice. Given the fact that many many folks have successfully set up all three versions (1.05, 1.06 & TM) I suspect that either your downloaded updates are corrupted or you're missing an important step in the process.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

If you're running Vista or Win 7, are you installing somewhere outside of the Program Files(86) or the Program Files directories?
Hawk
gismoskip
Brakeman

Wolverine@MSU wrote:Saying "it won't work" doesn't give us much to go on as far as diagnosing the problem. What happens when you start the game (double clicking on RT3.EXE)? Does anything appear on the screen? Do you get any error messages? What do the log files in the Data/Log folder say? What OS are you using? Did you test the installation at each stage? Are you following the directions precisely? Have you set up separate installs for each "version"? Without some more info we can't give much advice. Given the fact that many many folks have successfully set up all three versions (1.05, 1.06 & TM) I suspect that either your downloaded updates are corrupted or you're missing an important step in the process.
ok, what happens is that the little spinning CD curser pops up, and i can't click on anything, and it doesn't do anything. i can move the mouse around, but that's all. i downloaded the updates from RIGHT HERE. both of them. the coast to coast and the 1.05 one - it seemed quite small though - 2 MB - that might be the problem. and i never noticed anything diffrent after . . . . it doesn't want to run at all now. i even reinstalled THE ENITRE GAME - i deleted the folder and unenstalled the game. is there anywhere that 1.05 or 1.06 files are put other than the RT3 folder? I somehow could not correctly uninstall them ether. so, i have no idea what's the problem. i have a GREAT computer - there is nothing wrong with it as far as needing something that my computer doesn't have. it's XP, and it kinda was originally ment for xp, so that shouldn't be a problem. the data files? i think all that's fine. yes, i installed them all seperatly. if they are corruped, it's from this site . . . . so i think ether way we need to look into this.
gismoskip, current RT3 player working on the maps of tomorrow for RT3. better belive it.
gismoskip
Brakeman

Hawk wrote:If you're running Vista or Win 7, are you installing somewhere outside of the Program Files(86) or the Program Files directories?
i have xp - and it's installed in the program files folder in the RT3 folder - i know computers quite well - and this baffles even me - i have seen nothing like this from any game - and my disk is fine. it is old though - 8-9 years - so it could be just getting old, but i doubt it. you ever seen anything like this? i think i know the solution though - you see, i had the 1.04 version on my computer, not the 1.05 version. i thought i had the 1.05 version, and i installed the 1.06 version, and it just didn't pop up on the screen. then i deleted the FOLDER so i could reinstall it. after i reinstalled it with your CtC patch, 1.05 patch, and 1.06 patch, it started doing the bug listed in my last post. sounds like there is some loose files in some other folder - who knows, but i bet that's what causing the problem. can you guys find out what folders the files are put in - other than the program files folder RT3? it would be a big help. i have no idea what folders to look in though . . . . . !$th_u$! for being helpful anyway. good thing i might have figured it out now. i was just thinking right now and i thought it up ::!**! . let's hope that was the problem (0!!0)
nedfumpkin
CEO

First off, you should be doing multiple installs. 1.06 isn't a patch per se; it is more of a mod.

The 1.05 patch contains only one file, the RT3.exe file. Nothing else.

Your problem is directly related to 1.06. Not sure what it is, but start off by installing to 1.04 (CTC) and then copying everything to a new folder. I'm sending you a pm with some files in it. These might help. But do have separate installs for 1.05 and 1.06
Hawk
The Big Dawg

gismoskip wrote: ok, what happens is that the little spinning CD curser pops up, and i can't click on anything, and it doesn't do anything.
Sounds like you're still running the exe that requires the cd to be in the drive. As soon as I finish this post, I'll send you a PM.
gismoskip wrote:it seemed quite small though - 2 MB
The 1.05 patch is only 2.1 MB. The C to C patch is 119 MB.
gismoskip wrote:i have xp
Then never mind about where you install the game. In XP, installing the base game in the default directory is OK.

Did you follow the instructions on multiple installs?
Hawk
gismoskip
Brakeman

nedfumpkin wrote:First off, you should be doing multiple installs. 1.06 isn't a patch per se; it is more of a mod.

The 1.05 patch contains only one file, the RT3.exe file. Nothing else.

Your problem is directly related to 1.06. Not sure what it is, but start off by installing to 1.04 (CTC) and then copying everything to a new folder. I'm sending you a pm with some files in it. These might help. But do have separate installs for 1.05 and 1.06
. . . i'm just trying to run ANY version of it. none will work. did you read my above post anyway? is there any other folder where RT3 info is stored? i uninstalled the version unconvintionally, by deleting the folder. if there was any files in other folders, that is the problem. i need to know if you can check on it - i don't know everything about computers.
gismoskip
Brakeman

Hawk wrote:
gismoskip wrote: ok, what happens is that the little spinning CD curser pops up, and i can't click on anything, and it doesn't do anything.
Sounds like you're still running the exe that requires the cd to be in the drive. As soon as I finish this post, I'll send you a PM.
gismoskip wrote:it seemed quite small though - 2 MB
The 1.05 patch is only 2.1 MB. The C to C patch is 119 MB.
gismoskip wrote:i have xp
Then never mind about where you install the game. In XP, installing the base game in the default directory is OK.

Did you follow the instructions on multiple installs?
no . . . . . i did not know about multi installs, where is it?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

gismoskip wrote:no . . . . . i did not know about multi installs, where is it?
I thought I had already posted the link to that thread in another post to you.
Anyway, here it is again.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2363
Hawk
nedfumpkin
CEO

all files related to RT3...any version are in the folder/subfolders that have the exe...there are no other files located elsewhere.
gismoskip
Brakeman

nedfumpkin wrote:all files related to RT3...any version are in the folder/subfolders that have the exe...there are no other files located elsewhere.
thats . . . . disturbing. that means that my disk is messed up. i'll need to get another game in that case . . . . i hope you're wrong.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Nope! He's not wrong. All files for RT3 are located in the main Railroad Tycoon directory. RT3 does not install files anywhere else.
That PM I sent you should help.
Hawk
gismoskip
Brakeman

Hawk wrote:
gismoskip wrote:no . . . . . i did not know about multi installs, where is it?
I thought I had already posted the link to that thread in another post to you.
Anyway, here it is again.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2363
anyway, that won't help now, i don't think so anyway. i can't run the game at all. after i uninstalled it and reinstalled it with CtC pack and nothing else. i have NO other installs of it that work now - i can't play the game at all. do you not understand that, or do i not understand something?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I understand what you're saying, but it sounds to me like you're having a problem with the game starting with the cd in the drive. That's what the PM was about.
Am I misunderstanding you mentioning the spinning cd as you having the cd in the drive?
Hawk
gismoskip
Brakeman

Hawk wrote:Nope! He's not wrong. All files for RT3 are located in the main Railroad Tycoon directory. RT3 does not install files anywhere else.
That PM I sent you should help.
ok, i'll be back in an hour or two. i'll be playing a game for now, i'll try it after, and thanks for all your kind help. i really never know about anything but CtC pack before this, and now i see something amazing in this site.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

BTW! When you uninstall a program from Windows, deleting the folder it's in is not uninstalling it. There's still the references to it in the registry.
You have to use Add/Remove Programs to uninstall something, or a third party uninstaller like Revo Uninstaller (get the free version if you're so inclined to try it).
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

It really sounds like a problem with your cd drive, or the cd itself and not the game.
Hawk
gismoskip
Brakeman

Hawk wrote:I understand what you're saying, but it sounds to me like you're having a problem with the game starting with the cd in the drive. That's what the PM was about.
Am I misunderstanding you mentioning the spinning cd as you having the cd in the drive?
yes, there is a disk. i still run it from a disk. i'll try the diskless patch 1.05 soon - today in fact. that might be the problem. do i need the 1.05 patch before that?(the normal one? i have CtC and 1.04 right now) also, i will not be on untill later this eveneing after this post, i have some other things to do. also, if you didin't know, i'm a teenager. *!*!*!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

gismoskip wrote:do i need the 1.05 patch before that?(the normal one?
Yes.
gismoskip wrote:i have CtC and 1.04 right now
The C to C is the 1.04 patch. They're one in the same.
Hawk