Windows 7 & 1.06 unofficial patch

Questions and comments specific to Version 1.06
Settebello
Hobo

Windows 7 & 1.06 unofficial patch Unread post

Hello and good RT3 to all of you. I have been away from here for a lot of time, but when coming back, I found many many astounding maps added.

Some weeks ago I had to migrate from Windows XP to Windows 7, I managed to install and let RT3 work again, but I've got 2 or 3 problems (ITALIAN language original version):

1) Sometimes the game doesn't start ... the Cd is inserted, the screen is resized to 1024x768, the music sounds but the main menu doesn't appear at all, and I have to kill the process and retry. I would be very interested in a "No Cd" version of the executable.

2) The Tycoon image when negotiating shares has not the correct content, and always appears the "Unassigned" caption.

3) When appearing a new industry, even if I press the "Visualizza" (Display) button, the point of view doesn't change.

Thank you all for the attention.
Settebello
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Windows 7 & 1.06 unofficial patch Unread post

Well, first things first.

1) Did you install RT3 in the default location - Program Files (86)? If so, it's not a good idea to do that. It is best to install RT3 in a new directory outside of the Program Files (86) directory.
The reason being that Microsoft decided to not allow any editing of files inside that directory, which makes patching RT3 near impossible without a lot of configuring the files (setting proper permissions and such).

2) Did you read this thread on having multiple installs of RT3? viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2363
Hawk
Settebello
Hobo

Thank you Hawk. The topic you suggested to read ... well, I had in XP 3 different directories, for 3 versions of the game: 1.05, 1.06 and 1.06 + my personal experiments, and everything worked great.
I didn't know that W7 was so ... fiscal, I'll try to define a new "Games" directory outside of x86 Programs, then tell you the results.
Settebello
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Settebello wrote:I didn't know that W7 was so ... fiscal,
Fiscal isn't quite the word for it. :roll: Protective would better describe MS's intent.
The results? I'll leave the descriptors up to the viewers. :mrgreen:
Hawk
dwcg
Cat

OK, I've have tried all the types of patches to no avail. Now let me tell you my story, I am a 70 y/o retired Navy Seabee disabled Vet. I have always loved trains I have several model train set and have played RRT3 since it first came out. Having had several severe heart attacks I did not play RRT3 for a few years. Now that I am able to sit in a chair for several hours I would like to play the game again. Of course My computer is now a laptop with WIN 7 and all its updates. It loads OK and I installed it to a folder not the default one. OH I almost forgot i'm not a geek. I know how to turn the computer on and off and find some files now and then. So if any one knows how to get this game working without me having to move a bunch of files around I would sure be a happy old geezer.

What I need is a simple one or two step fix. Put it on a disk put it in the DVD drive and let it do the fixing. In other words I need my hands held when fixing this problem. HELP Please.

I'll check this in a day or two and see what responses I have.
Thanks a MILLION
DWCG
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I'm assuming you're trying to install the 1.06 patch.

What other patches have you installed so far?

Did you install the game from a cd or did you get it from Steam?

You say you didn't install into the default folder, but did you install it outside of the Program Files (86) folder, somewhere else on your C drive?
Hawk
CeeBee
Brakeman

Has anyone had any luck patching 1.06 in Windows 10? I tried and it didn't work but I only just found the "keep it out of program files" thing. I'm patched to 1.05 with the coast to coast installed plus the no cd fix. No point messing around more if it won't work.
Just Crazy Jim
Dispatcher

Ceebee, I ended up ditching my installation media and purchased a no-DRM version online from Gog.com about 3 weeks ago. Using the installer from Gog.com, I made the default install directly off the root of C: drive which I patched with the 1.06 update first try. I imagine that using your installation CDs you could do the same.
"We have no patience with other people's vanity because it is offensive to our own."
-- François de La Rochefoucauld. Réflexions ou sentences et maximes morales. 1665.
CeeBee
Brakeman

Well, I don't know what I did wrong but my supposed 1.05 version patched to 1.06 and the version I copied, moved and thought I patched didn't work. So I don't have a 1.05 install anymore but I tried a 1.06 map and it works so I guess I will be happy with that. ^**lylgh