American Rails The 20th Century *New Map*

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
MrScott2007

American Rails The 20th Century *New Map* Unread post

It's finally done! It's called American Rails, The 20 Century. I have one last quality check to do on the map then I'm sending it to Hawk for posting.
Info on the Map...

Made from the Coast to Coast map in RRT3
The map was stripped down and completely redone
Land was smoothed for easier play and the river were redrawn, borders were redrawn. The map got a new paint job.
The map contains 96 US cities in 7 regions.
The tree count stands at 164,577
The goal for the map is all about city connections. Try to connect 25 cities in 76 years for the gold. Senario starts at 1900. Ends April 1976.
The game starts with 15 railroads...SP,AT&SF,UP,PRR,CRI&P,NYC,CB&Q,GN,SAL,IC,ACL,T&P,WP,D&RGW and B&M.
There are 15 chairman, your first job is take over one of these railroads by playing the stock market.
Then build your empire.
This map uses my logos pack.
The map was made for RRT3 1.5, I may make another senario using 1.6.
Included with the map is a list of current populations of the US cities I used on the map. It is in text form.
I also have a blank version of this map with no cities, tree or companies.
coruscate
Dispatcher

Re: American Rails The 20th Century *New Map* Unread post

All righty, looking forward to this.
JayEff
Conductor

I look forward to this also. A lot happened in the USA in this time period.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I got the email(s). :mrgreen:
I wanted to come back here and check for any pertinent information that I'll need to add it and decided to make a comment.

I see in the population list that Atlanta is credited with 519,145 in population.I guess you're talking about the city proper, as the Atlanta region ranks 5th in the country with over 5 1/2 million, and most of them work in the city.
Between the hours of 6:00 AM and 10:00 AM it takes anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half to make a 25 minute drive into the city from where I live in Acworth. At least that's what it used to be like the last time I made the journey about 2 years ago. It's probably worse now as more and more people move here.
The afternoon rush hour starts about 2:00 and lasts 'till about 6:00.

Just a bit of trivia. :mrgreen:
Hawk
MrScott2007

Yes, I used the city populations not the surrounding areas...I was a bit suprised that Phoenix is ranked the fifth largest city in the country!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I finally got them both added. Sorry it took so long. After my post yesterday morning, I was tapped on the shoulder by life, requiring my presence elsewhere.

I made a post in the RRT3 News forum and added them to the scrolling ticker.
Hawk
MrScott2007

Thanks for posting Hawk.

I would be interested in knowing how well people did playing this map.
1.What company did they take over?
2.How many cities they connected to?
3.Did you win any awards?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

MrScott2007 wrote:Thanks for posting Hawk.
My pleasure! :salute: :-D
Hawk
djrail
Hobo

Very nice map!
And, given the setup, rather substantial replay value.

I'm using v1.06 patch...(I know, probably screws things up). Started with easy level game and went for "Boston & Maine".
Long story short, I have taken over the upper east side of the map and I'm cruising down the east coast assimilating!

Note: I have connected more than 25 cities and no win triggers FYI.
Is this because of 1.06?
"Seize every opportunity!"
MrScott2007

Thanks for the reply. I set the game up so that the smaller railroads are easy to obtain. The bigger railroads take longer to obtain. In my own testing, I took over the B&M in the first game. The second time I went full game test, I took over Illinois Central.

I tested the "lose" trigger and it worked. I assumed that the rest of the triggers where set right. I'll have to go back and do some more testing and maybe update the map if need be. I do know that it is set to only count the cities that you have a station in.

As far as the 1.6 goes, I know almost nothing about it. If somebody more experienced then I could come on and give thier opinion about 1.6...
MrScott2007

Since I finished this map I've added 1.6. I have to get rid of it and re-install the game to fix the map. So Far I did see that I left out the effect in the "Link 15" event.
MrScott2007

Ok, I started a test map and tested all the events that I had. I did find there was a problem with the "win" events. At this point I have 2 options...

#1 Take a sledge hammer and smash my computer AND the RRT3 game......or

#2 I can take my time and fix all the errors on the map.

Hummm, option #1 does sound tempting...but I guess I'll go with option #2.

Give me a few days to make it better. I'll send the update to Hawk when its ready.

Since I'm re-writing the events...If there are events or ideas you would like to see added to this map, speak now. :-D
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

The Gold win condition should be set to trigger when conditions are met at "less than or equal to" game ending year (=<). You currently have it set to be equal to game ending year, so it won't trigger until you've played all the way to the end. Silver and Bronze should be left as is, so they don't trigger prematurely.
MrScott2007

I think I'm a little lost... :-( The way I'm seeing it is 197604 And 25 or more cities connected. So its 197604 and Comp.total cities connected >=25. Or am I seeing wrong?
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

You're seeing right, but it should be "GameYearMonth<=197604" (or "=<", I forget which way it goes).
MrScott2007

Ok I think I see what your saying. You mean that the >=25 is right, but the =197604 is wrong and it needs to be changed to <=197604. If I'm seeing this right, when somebody connects 25 cities it will trigger the gold no matter what the date is.

Sorry for being so thick headed
Hawk
The Big Dawg

That's correct. This symbol: "<" means less than. In other words, with that symbol in the event, whenever the player achieves the Gold conditions, the Gold win will trigger.
Without that, the player would have to play until the end of the scenario before they would get the Gold win.

This symbol; "=" means equal to. So if the player doesn't reach the Gold conditions until the last year of the scenario, the Gold win will trigger, although you can achieve the same results with < instead of <=. I could be wrong on that though. ;-)
Hawk
MrScott2007

Hawk wrote:Without that, the player would have to play until the end of the scenario before they would get the Gold win.
That's really what I was trying to do. 197604 is like the day of reckoning for the game. On that date if the player had 25 or more cities connected, he win the gold. If he had 20 to 24 he got the silver and so on. If you got less then 10 cities, you lose and your railroad is absorbed into Conrail.

Never the less, I will make the change and send it up to you.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

If that's what you intended, then there's really no need to change it. !*th_up*!
Hawk
MrScott2007

True, but a previous poster said that the gold never triggered. Maybe he had 25 connection but didn't play until 197604? Or maybe he didn't have stations in all 25 cities. I just don't know.

Is there anybody else out there that played the map?
Or is there an easy way to test that event?