American Rails The 20th Century *New Map*

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: American Rails The 20th Century *New Map* Unread post

It might be because for the condition you have it set to test to 'on screen players company only' and in the effect you have it set to test 'to all players'.
I think you need to check the box for 'Apply effects only once per event', then tick the 'for the company/player (i.e. chairman) for which the condition is true'.
Other than that it looks OK!
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

It works right if coded to "<=". I changed it in the editor and it fires fine.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Wolverine@MSU wrote:It works right if coded to "<=". I changed it in the editor and it fires fine.
...but he said he wanted the player to play until 197604 before any medal is given, at least - that's the way I understand it. **!!!**
Hawk
proudcanadian
Conductor

If it helps any, I played the entire scenario from 1900 to April 1976 and the Gold triggered fine at the appropriate date. I figured that was what you were going for.
I don't drive a dogsled to work, I don't live in an igloo, and we're the SECOND LARGEST COUNTRY ON EARTH!!!
MrScott2007

proudcanadian wrote:If it helps any, I played the entire scenario from 1900 to April 1976 and the Gold triggered fine at the appropriate date. I figured that was what you were going for.
Thanks! I'll change it back to the way it was.

Even though I had alot of frustration working with the editor, I had fun making the map. I did notice that I left out an effect for Link #15, so I'll still update the map.

Here is another head scratcher...The map was originally made that if the player didn't take over a company in five years, the player would lose and the game would be over. Here is what I tried to do. I put an event to be triggered at 190512 and set player controls any company to false. The effect for this would be set game variable 1=0. In the Lose event I have 197604 and connected cities <=9. I added "or" game variable 1=0. I didn't work so I ended up taking it out. Why didn't it work?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

The variables are already set at 0. You would have to write an event to set the game variable to 1 before you could set it back to 0, but you would use the game variable 1 to control the event, setting it back to 0 after the event triggered.
Hawk
djrail
Hobo

MrScott2007 wrote:True, but a previous poster said that the gold never triggered. Maybe he had 25 connection but didn't play until 197604? Or maybe he didn't have stations in all 25 cities. I just don't know.

Is there anybody else out there that played the map?
Or is there an easy way to test that event?
Might have been me and yes, I expected to trigger a Gold when the 25 connected. I did that through planting a few of my own cities and then absorbing other railroads to bump the city count over 25 by 1918-ish.
Again, I was playing "Easy" to get a first-time feel for the map...things may be vastly different if you play the hardest level or wait out the stock market to try and take over a harder RR off the top (I picked the easiest it seems).
It's totally your call about how to decide the scenario parameters!
Thanks for making a neat map!!!
"Seize every opportunity!"
MrScott2007

djrail wrote:I did that through planting a few of my own cities and then absorbing other railroads to bump the city count over 25 by 1918-ish.
I hope I didn't make the map too easy! :shock:

I like to hear what people have to say about my creations, good or bad. I've always been curious on what makes for a good game. This is my first real adventure using the RRT3 editor.... and I must say I'm like Forest Gump when it comes to figuring out that thing!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

The new version is now available in the usual place. ;-)
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Hawk wrote:...but he said he wanted the player to play until 197604 before any medal is given, at least - that's the way I understand it. **!!!**
I guess I didn't read his post carefully enough. If the intent is to make the player continue until 1976, then the event is coded correctly.
canis39
Brakeman

Looking forward to trying this one...thanks for all your hard work Mr Scott!
like fantasy football? check out Goal Line Blitz! http://goallineblitz.com/game/signup.pl?ref=28815200'
visit my mini city: http://salt-rock.myminicity.com/
coruscate
Dispatcher

So far, so good. I tried the map out and took over about 4 railroads, 4 years in before I accidentally wiped out my personal fortune by a margin call. I'll try again with the revision.
MrScott2007

coruscate wrote:I accidentally wiped out my personal fortune by a margin call.
I did that many times in testing.

I set the map up with awards for connecting cities. The connections are based off the Rail Barron Game. Southern Pacific (The largest railroad in the game) has it's connection from Portland OR to New Orleans. It's the longest route to achieve but pays the best.

Boston & Maine is the smallest, connecting Boston the Bangor. It has the smallest payout.

Did anybody get any of these awards?
coruscate
Dispatcher

Ah, so that wasn't the normal raise I'd get for taking over another company? Was it a temporary stock raise or did I misunderstand you?

By the way, look at your area between San Diego and LA (At least I'm pretty positive that's where it was) Given your start time the computer automatically selects the mogul and the hill there is so steep it takes the train months just to get over the top. There are some mountains between San Diego and LA but it's not like that, we're both pretty much near ocean level. You don't really get hills interrupting your trip north along Cali until you get about a half an hour north of LA county. The third(?) level in the game's original campaign scenario where you connect Sacramento to Salt Lake City is a pretty good representation of what we've got.

Or, of course, my own San Diego map ^^;;

I'll be taking another shot at this one soon, ditto with British Miracle since I discovered I just wasn't running enough trains.
MrScott2007

I actually flatten that area out a bit... I quess it was not enough. The mountain did look a bit steep!

I'll have to take a look at your map. I wanted to try your San Diego map and there is a Arizona map out there that looks interesting.
coruscate
Dispatcher

MrScott2007 wrote:I actually flatten that area out a bit... I quess it was not enough. The mountain did look a bit steep!
My comment was before the latest revision.
MrScott2007 wrote:I'll have to take a look at your map. I wanted to try your San Diego map and there is a Arizona map out there that looks interesting.
Nice, seems I put enough work into it to make it good.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Did you intend to award all companies with cash after one of your "special connections" is made? I made one, and all of the companies were rewarded. The Event is coded to apply the award to "All Companies", but should, perhaps, be made to the "Company for which the condition is True".
MrScott2007

Wolverine@MSU wrote:Did you intend to award all companies with cash after one of your "special connections" is made? I made one, and all of the companies were rewarded. The Event is coded to apply the award to "All Companies", but should, perhaps, be made to the "Company for which the condition is True".
Was this on the original map or the updated map?

I think next time when a map is done I'll need to send it to somebody to check my work before I send it for posting.
coruscate
Dispatcher

You know what I would do? Just put a version number in the beginning description of the scenario so they can easily check. I did that for the first few versions of my map. Don't fret the errors too much, they happen and those of us that REALLY want to can hit shift-e and fix anything that needs to be fixed to enjoy your level between updates. I find open testing let's random people give me feedback so I can just get'er done.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

MrScott2007 wrote:Was this on the original map or the updated map?
It was the "American_Rails_Fixed" version with the 11/27/2008 vestion of the map, downloaded from Hawk's map repository.