An Industry Idea

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
coruscate
Dispatcher

Re: An Industry Idea Unread post

They are both hex files. The files you would need to edit to add your cargo, cars and also engines to the game are also hex files.

"Hexplorer" is what I recommend to open them, it's freeware.

Get WP&P's very own document explaining this stuff, he's color coded it to make it much easier to comprehend.
MrScott2007

Last night I looked into these file types. I ended up downloading Hexplorer. At first glance it made my head spin! *!*!*!

Where can I get WP&P's documents at?
WPandP
Engineer

http://wpandp.com/CarModHowTo.html

This is part of my website, in "The Sim" section. Most of my stuff ends up there, but I'm not as diligent about updating that site as Hawk is here. I don't have PJay and Milo's file format notes there, so you need to get those from Hawk; basically, I'm just trying to record what it is that I am doing, based on an understanding of those notes.
=Winchester, Paston & Portsmouth=
====== We Provide Pride! ======
MrScott2007

Thanks, I was at your site before but I must of missed that page.
MrScott2007

I printed out the page. I got some reading to do!

Question for WP&P-Are there any links to get the tools you discribe on your page? If there are links on your page, they're not working.
WPandP
Engineer

No links; just google for them. Sorry!
=Winchester, Paston & Portsmouth=
====== We Provide Pride! ======
coruscate
Dispatcher

I've updated your building set on my site. I now have an Anthracite mine and a Breaker.

The Anthracite mine is a coal mine that produces .6 uranium a year, and .3 more with .3 ammunition (explosives(?)).

The Breaker is a Bauxite mine that converts one Uranium into seven Coals, the price equivolent betweent the two.

Both are mildy profitable industries if connected up. Uranium rarely gets used, this way you can simulate what you want and you can also piece apart my own to see how I did it if you like. I made no attempt at skinning, these both go into the building types folder.

http://healthyinsanity.com/railroad
nedfumpkin
CEO

Quick note....in the new version I am working on retail industries are demanding different products depending n the type of business, however, since I have created food as a commodity, the grocery stores demand food rather than unprocessed foods like produce.

Problem is that I am busy writing Constitutional Law these days so I won't be able to get back to my project until next week at the earliest.
MrScott2007

nedfumpkin wrote:Quick note....in the new version I am working on retail industries are demanding different products depending n the type of business, however, since I have created food as a commodity, the grocery stores demand food rather than unprocessed foods like produce.
Now that's a neat idea. Retail store that demand different products. You wouldn't have to create new buildings, just differents stores.

After looking at all the notes that I gathered on modifying RRT3 files, I can understand why people arn't jumping at the chance to create new buildings. I can also understand why Poptop gave us a logo maker, profile maker and a train skinner with the game. The hardcore fan would be pulling his or her hair out trying to add these to the game.

The should of made a nice handy tool for us to make new skins for building!
coruscate
Dispatcher

Mr. Scott, it's the same "difference," we're both doing the same thing. Adding is adding. For instance you *cannot* have two types of department stores with two separate demands, for the game they have to be two separate buildings as far as BCA and BTY are concerned.
MrScott2007

coruscate wrote:for the game they have to be two separate buildings as far as BCA and BTY are concerned.
That's what I ment.
MrScott2007 wrote:You wouldn't have to create new buildings, just differents stores.
You can create different store by creating different files. Name one Toy Store, Clothing store, Grocery Store and so on. Or am I not seeing something?
coruscate
Dispatcher

Okay I follow you now. Well the thing with new buildings is you add fresh visuals to the game, unfortunately that's going to be really rough to pull off.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Has anyone run up against a limit to the number of buildings that can be added? For cargoes, there is a limit, set within the game, for the maximum number of cargoes. Likewise for logos. Is there a similar limit for the number of different buildings?
coruscate
Dispatcher

There's a very set limit to cargos, not much more than what you see in 1.5 and only about 2-4 more than what you see in 1.6

I don't think Ned hit the limit with buildings yet, but I think there is a limit on that other thing you mentioned but I can't remember the number right now.
Stoker
Engineer

The more complex economy model created with the new cargo types in 1.06 is great. I do however see 1 giant glaring ommission : RAILS! This is a railroad game after all , isnt it? I see some scenarios that use "goods" as a substitute for "rails" but this is a poor band aid(steel works ok in later date scenarios, but even here a second tier economy like a "rolling mill" to produce rails from steel would be great). If there is room to squeeze in one more cargo type, my vote would be for this. The addition of Rock as a Cargo is great, it is of course in great demand for building a railway and is real useful for writing into scenarios requiring it to build more track- etc.

The other area that I see as lacking for a cargo type is for a "food" or "canned goods" or "processed foods" cargo. I have read suggestions of renaming the "cheese" cargo (waaaay too specific and rarely useful in scenarios) to be the more all encompassing "food" cargo type. This would allow a second tier of value-added industries : a "cannery" that would accept meat and or produce and produce "food" or "canned goods" as an output or alcohol producing "food" or canned goods in the form of bottled beer or liquor-etc. Also, Bakeries could actually produce Food, instead of being a deadend for grains.. These poor Tycoonauts diet now consists of Meat, Alcohol, and Cheese. I wouldnt want to be cooped up on a railcar with these folks, the air would be ripe and the Lav constantly occupied! Of the new cargo types, I think the Pharmaceuticals could be replaced with something more useful. As it is, they are rareley used, as they are difficult to produce, and having yet another "warehouse" (Hospital) in your cities starts making them look like a concentration camp.(why didnt a commercial building get used for hospitals, by the way?)

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
coruscate
Dispatcher

Going in reverse, your last question? Because the mod makers weren't concerned with skinning and had hoped other people (*raises hand*) would take over the job and skin in there. As it stands I do have a 90% done mod of the Hospital with a commercial skin. As for all the rest, find Ned's "RT3 is going nukular" thread in here and read that. He's coming up with a suped-up version of Rt3 that is more complex than 1.6 and uses different kinds of cargo and even the way the game is laid out is different.
JayEff
Conductor

I am busy learning to like the new 1.06 cargoes.

I was hoping for gravel and we got stone. Well that's good enough for me. So now for laying rails, we have steel, lumber and stone. BTW I see no need for a rails cargo. Steel must come out of the mill in one shape or another. It might as well be shaped like a rail.

And if we like construction so much, now we also have cement and ceramics.

And we can modernize our militaries with aircraft (weapons made with aluminum) and electronics.

And in any thirty+ year period anywhere there will be a war or disaster that requires medicine. Ok, it might not be a huge cargo weight-wise, but it does pave the way for some fun scenario building.

And the ore, ingots, crystals, dye and machinery add interest and complexity. The industry chains aren't straight lines any more. And the machinery deal is particularly complex.
coruscate
Dispatcher

If you like that check out what Ned's building :mrgreen:
JFMarvelous
Watchman

coruscate wrote:If you like that check out what Ned's building :mrgreen:
tell me where to find it **!!!** cause I would like to check it out.
coruscate
Dispatcher