Concrete plants

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
arop
Dispatcher

Concrete plants Unread post

:idea: I suggest that concrete plants are replaced by cement plants with 2 ceramics + 1 coal = 3 cement. Concrete is unlikely to be transported over long distances while it is useless within a few hours. Cement is manufactured by large plants all over the world, concrete is made by local plants or in situ.
KevinL
Dispatcher

Re: Concrete plants Unread post

2 + 1 = 3 might be too tough of a recipe. Steel mills have a hard enough time as it is with a 1 + 1 = 2 recipe (at least in the scenerios I play). I think a 1 + 1 = 2 recipe for cement would be just fine. Why coal, though?
Computer: 3.2GHz i3, 6.0GB Ram, 1.5TB HD, Win7, RRT3:1.06, SMRR:1.10
Currently playing: RRT3 - Campaign Scenerios
Currently creating: RRT3 - Southwest scenerio
arop
Dispatcher

Cement production demands a lot of energy, so I find the reciept 2-3 ceramics+1coal or oil relevant. On the other hand, I would be pleased if only concrete plants are renamed to cement plants, while concrete is unsuited for transport over longer distances. It is the job of a construction company to mix the cement + steel = concrete for instant use!
coruscate
Dispatcher

It's basically taken care of in my version I'll be putting out soon. Quarries put out earth, and ceramic factories make ceramics. Ceramics as a "function" of the economic system from 1830-3000 and beyond represents brick making, glass blowing, dishware and cement. I have a building company that can combine lumber and nails (metal) or "concrete" and some other materials to make "Lumber," "Lumber" being the game's generic, catch all building material, outside of "parts" which are rare premium building materials.
Stoker
Engineer

The "Concrete" cargo is definitely a misnomer. Cement would be the correct term. Concrete is created by mixing cement with aggregate, and then with water. Also, having the "concrete" in tankers is incorrect, and fairly comical "Geez this this concrete was liquid when we put it in, how the heck did it turn into a solid cylinder in transit?" **!!!**
Cement is a powder and is carried in hopper type cars, similar to grain hoppers. Also, while we are on the subject, the production chain for creating the "concrete" (cement) is not accurate. Cement is created from limestone, which is crushed and heated to high temperature in a kiln, thus removing hydrogen and oxygen from the compound. The old method of doing this was the "batch" method wherein batches of the crushed limestone were heated then removed from the kiln and then the process was repeated. The modern production of cement is done in a continuous operation wherein the crushed limestone is fed into a cylindrical rotary kiln, and exits the opposite end , without having to cool and reheat the kiln as in the old batch method. After the kiln process the product is referred to as "clinker", and is then ground into a finer uniform powder , at which point it is "cement". The RRT3 production chain of creating "concrete" could be construed as being fairly accurate(ROCK > CERAMICS > CONCRETE) if concrete were actually a train cargo, but since "concrete" is not generally carried as a cargo(with the exception of small quantities of bagged "redimix" concrete, a recent product) the production chain should really be ROCK +FUEL(Coal early and oil late)> FURNACE > CEMENT. If a "concrete plant was desired, it would require input of ROCK(aggregate) and CEMENT. !#2bits#!

P.S. Another misnomer in this game ,that bugs me personally, is the "Tool and Die" and "Machine Shop" titles. They are actually backwards. A Tool and Die shop produces just that-tools and dies, or "machinery", that is then used in production machine shops and factories to produce finished goods. The term "Machine Shop " is actually a very generalized term that could refer to anything from an automotive machine shop where engine parts are re-machined, a "Production Machine Shop" where new parts are machined to be used in producing a finished product, or even of course a "Tool and Die" shop. I spent a decade working in a "Machine Shop", and most of what we produced were "tools"( Production machinery ranging from complete engine block machining production lines to power steering hose benders- etc and specialized cutting tools ranging from drop broaches to special profile rotary bits) and dies( extrusion dies for making everything from aluminum window extrusion profiles to breakfast cereal, and of course impact punches(male) and dies(female) for sheet metal fabrication .

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
arop
Dispatcher

:-D I agree,but somehow I think, that tools & dye and machine shops are double. I prefer machine shops to cover all products to cover all from buckets to locomotives, in other words everything related to steel and ingots exept cars.
nedfumpkin
CEO

I concur which is why I renamed the T&D to a Machine Shop in Trainmaster. I don't have a T&D now.
Stoker
Engineer

The point I was making about the Tool and Die and Machine Shop was that the T&D produces GOODS and that the Machine Shop produces Machinery (in 1.06). It would be more accurate the other way around. In your mod, I guess you dont have "machinery" so renaming T&D to machine shop makes sense.

Edmund Burke
nedfumpkin
CEO

Actually, I do have machinery as a cargo, and it is produced in a machine shop from various combinations of cargo.
Stoker
Engineer

Ah, I see. that sounds like a reasonable comprimise.

Edmund Burke
arop
Dispatcher

^**lylgh Just a joke! after dispaching a whole row of concrete cars after 4-5 hours, instead of sending them to their destination. send them to the scrap dealer and instruct them to use explosives before they ignite their torches!!! ^**lylgh
coruscate
Dispatcher

In my current mod it goes:

Tool & Die (Specialty and low level goods - screwdrivers, vices)
Assembly Plant (g00ds2 - mass produced products - lawnmowers
Precision Tool (goods3 - mass produce, high grade, premium products like a Playstation)

Extra factories like the Video Game Company will make Goods2 with the input of print and plastic.

I'm using a different line of thinking with how I titled things but I'd be willing to hear out other titles since I tried as hard as I could to expand on what was there...