Newbie to create (modify) scenarios

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
JasonG
Cat

Newbie to create (modify) scenarios Unread post

Hello all- A newbie here with a typical newb question i am sure. I like to play scenarios but have never created one. I enjoy the scenarios that incorporate the stock market and financial goals. I'd like to edit some of the existing maps/scenarios to change the parameters to match how I like to play. For example, change the "win" criteria to financial rather than whatever they currently are. I opened a map in the editor and made some changes and saved it as a new name. For some reason when i try to start a "new scenario" it does not show the name of the map. What newb mistake am i making?

Thanks all. I look forward to reading thru these boards.

JasonG !hairpull! !hairpull!
Stoker
Engineer

Re: Newbie to create (modify) scenarios Unread post

The thing that pops into my head is that perhaps after entering new name for modified map that you hit cancel instead of save. Quite possible. Try it again is my suggestion Jason.If this does not work, go back to desktop and do a search for new files to see if it was created, and if it was see where it was put.It should be in your RRT3 maps folder.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
WPandP
Engineer

Not having any experience at all with Vista, mind you, I wonder if you are playing on a Windows Vista machine... and it is somehow interfering, perhaps by placing your saved files in a convenient location for you rather than where RRT3 expects to find them. That's a complete guess; we kinda need to know more info to get a real idea of what is going on.
=Winchester, Paston & Portsmouth=
====== We Provide Pride! ======
JasonG
Cat

I am playing on a Vista machine. I also have NEVER patched anything. Last night I tried to d/l one of the expansions (Coast to Coast) and it corrupted my game so that I had to reinstall. So, perhaps I need a patch...or just a non-vista machine.
JFMarvelous
Watchman

Hey Jason, if you saved your edited game it will show up in "load scenario", not new scenario. Copy map from saved games to map folder and it should show up in new scenarios
JasonG
Cat

The only thing listed in "Load Scenario" is called AutoSave. I ran it and it is not the scenario I was modifying, just the last one i was playing.

I also used explorer to go look for the file i saved. I found it in \program files\railroad tycoon 3\maps as a gmp file. It is NOT under greyscale maps. Shoudl it be?
JasonG
Cat

OK, LOL. I just figured it out ( I think). Here is what I found.

In the editor, after you push control panel, there are two checkboxes available. One says "Campaign Scenario" and the other says "Sandbox Allowed". Well, it seems counter-intuitive to me, but apparently the correct thing to do is to place a check in the "Sandbox Allowed" box...and...viola. Now the fun begins.

So, anyone have any other advice to help a newb enjoy the game more? Will 1.05 run on Vista and if so where can i find it?

Thanks for all your help guys! Jason
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Since you're running Vista, these 2 threads may interest you.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=789&hilit=vista

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1392&hilit=vista

BTW! (*!!wel aboard. Make yourself at home. I'm sure you'll find a lot of useful info here, as well as a lot of folks more than willing to help out with any problems and questions you might have.
Hawk
coruscate
Dispatcher

Jason, I use RT3 on Vista and let me tell you the game may give you fits if you don't start in adminsitrator mode. Always do this, otherwise your games may not save at all, including new maps, I had it do this to me several times. Don't trust Vista, Bill Gates is a @#$@#$@#$ idiot!!!