Are you still learning ?

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
Gandar
Brakeman

Are you still learning ? Unread post

It struck me as I was writing a comment in the poll re the level of starting play, that here I was writing in a forum about an "old " game that I still enjoy enormously. This game is 6 years old and I purchased it on the day that it was released because I was a big fan of the previous two games and I have been playing it off and on ever since, but the neatest part, is that I am still learning new wrinkles to the game even after all this time. For instance, as far as industry is concerned if at all possible I will start with a a logging camp a lumber mill and then add a furniture factory and a paper mill, if money is tight then it would be a textile mill or at worst a paper mill. Dairy farms never entered into my calculations and I hardly ever used them, and yet fairly recently Dairy farms were mentioned as sure long term money spinners and what a bargain they were if they were purchased when they first appear. Who knew ? well not me but I have recently used dairy farms quite successfully, and I found the discussions on routing, daisy chain vs hub vs dive flag most interesting,the fact that I use a mixed up version of them all shows how disorganised I am, and perhaps I should try to be more efficient. Likewise WPandP suggestion to lay track between two stations buy a train and then see if you can afford to expand further would have saved me many a restart.
I'm not sure if I am slow at learning how to play, or that I am incredibly astute at refining my technique, I do know I still enjoy playing it !*th_up*! !*th_up*! What a great game.!!
So I am curious are other players still learning or do you have a set game plan that you don't vary ?
I got up and the world was still here, isn't that wonderful ?
Jeremy Mac Donald
Watchman

Re: Are you still learning ? Unread post

Heck yeah. I'm not even good at this game compared to most of the people here.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Jeremy Mac Donald wrote:Heck yeah. I'm not even good at this game compared to most of the people here.
I'm with you on that. (0!!0)
I'm still learning new tricks as well.
Hawk
FMCRR
Watchman

I totally agree as well, there are some who as soon as a new scenario pops up downloads it and BOOM they playing in hardcore mode, which is awesome but I gotta start slower ^**lylgh . Get a feel for the scenario so to say, try it on medium and then up the difficulty. Seems some tricks work on all scenarios i.e. the dairy farms, but sometimes you learn something different from each scenario or each creator of scenarios. So yeah for me like you even after 6 years I too am still picking up bits and pieces almost each time I try something new. !*th_up*!
Home of the Freeport & Muddy Creek Railroad
N Scale, Modern day, Freelance with CSX connection
http://www.freeportmuddycreek.com
nedfumpkin
CEO

Even after completely removing the guts and replacing them with something new, I am still learning new things. The best part of the game is that it can continually surprise you with something new.
Gwizz
CEO

I think this process is what keeps the game alive. When you think there is nothing more to learn, something sprouts that you never saw before. Although for me, it seems forgetting what you once knew is becoming more of a derailment. So I now have to double learn *!*!*!
Gandar
Brakeman

Gwizz wrote:I think this process is what keeps the game alive. When you think there is nothing more to learn, something sprouts that you never saw before. Although for me, it seems forgetting what you once knew is becoming more of a derailment. So I now have to double learn *!*!*!
I know exactly what you mean I will play a scenario that I know I have played before and achieved gold quite handily, and I will struggle to stay alive, because I have forgotten what the best approach was for that particular game. I then have to double learn too !!
I got up and the world was still here, isn't that wonderful ?
OilCan
Engineer

I'm a relative new comer to the game (started in Dec '08 when my teenage son bought the game for me for Christmas) and am neither a train enthusiast nor an economist, but I love this game. It has become almost an addiction. I keep my laptop on hibernate so I can pick it up and be into the game within minutes. I wake up very early on Sat mornings and get in a couple hours of play before the wife finds me and hands me the honey do list. I often end the evening with a cup of decaf and building track. I've even gone so far has to 'hide' the game on my external backup drive at work so I can play it during lunch hour. I love this game.

But, I have settled into a routine of sorts for almost every game. I always start with industry, meaning I invest first in one of three things: lumber mill, textile mill (mostly), or paper mill as well as farms. I may even spend the first 2-4 years establishing industry (which includes farms, mines and wells). Then I start a 1 to 1 game play. I spend about a million on the rail network and trains, then I alternate and spend about a million on industry. (If PNW is a goal, then I settle the 50%+ stock ownership before ANYTHING else.) Then it is back to building the rail network and alternating with industry. If I spend 2.7 mill on a steel plant, then I spend about the same on rail. I try to keep the investments 1 to 1 between rail and industry until the rail network is complete. After that, I invest heavily into industry - often owning a monopoly of lumber camps or farm types. The industry start and the alternating 1 to 1 investment scheme works for me every time. It has become my mode of operation.
nedfumpkin
CEO

You should ditch the decaf and get a few more hours of play. :)

I am the same with industry, but I don't necessarily alternate rail and industry spending; I am more of an opportunist in that regard. I love paper mills because they are cheap and you can get a good return, but the secret is to build it on top of a logging camp so you always have a supply of pulp, then run small trains around all the other logging camps. This makes the pulpwood cheaper, and the paper more expensive, and you can fill your logging trains with paper to keep them long. This is the best way I have found to make them profitable.
Jeremy Mac Donald
Watchman

Seems like their is a fair spread of favourite starting industries. I tend to like buying a meat packing plant which is often very profitable and in many modern scenarios the diesel refinery is practically a licence to print money. Depending on the scenario Uranium mines can also result in gobs of cash, though in this case the big bucks is often in actually carrying the uranium to a nuclear power plant. The stuffs worth more then gold and the price difference between the value of Uranium at the mine itself and the nuclear power plant can be a 100K or more.

Also if you find a milk farm thats not yet 'mature' then its almost always worth it to grab it ASAP even if you have to take out a high interest loan to do so.