Mediterranean map?

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
canis39
Brakeman

Mediterranean map? Unread post

Does anyone know if there is an RRT3 map out there somewhere that is based around the Mediterranean region?

I was checking out a map of the region today and got to thinking that it seems like it would make a pretty nice RRT3 map...but then I checked and couldn't find anything that was even close.

Any ideas? Here's one of the maps I was looking at.

http://worldatlas.com/aatlas/infopage/medsea.htm

Thanks!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Well, there is my 'Gibraltar Straits' map. :wink:
Hawk
EPH
Dispatcher

Unread post

There's also the Roman Empire map. Memory fails me and there's no button to get from here to the maps. Was that made by Gwizz?
The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell
JayEff
Conductor

Unread post

Yes, Gwizz made a Roman Empire map that covers the Mediterranean.
acorn_farmer_84
Brakeman

Unread post

well, looking at that map got me thinking....
i am wondering if there are any maps that cover the ENTIRE med area,
so you could have like a massive ring/loop railroad, going from say Rome, then to Athens, then going through Turkey, then to Israel, then Eqypt, then going around , and eventually having a bridge from Morocco to Spain, then going back to Paris.

Does a map like that exist? If not, i recon it would be great if someone could make one!
:)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

there's no button to get from here to the maps
Check out the handy new links at the top of the page. :wink:
Hawk
EPH
Dispatcher

Unread post

Ask and ye shall receive. Thanks Hawk!
The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

What? No comment about the peachy color being different? :wink:
Hawk
EPH
Dispatcher

Unread post

Well it hadn't changed then but it has now. Thanks!
canis39
Brakeman

Unread post

danielches wrote:well, looking at that map got me thinking....
i am wondering if there are any maps that cover the ENTIRE med area,
so you could have like a massive ring/loop railroad, going from say Rome, then to Athens, then going through Turkey, then to Israel, then Eqypt, then going around , and eventually having a bridge from Morocco to Spain, then going back to Paris.

Does a map like that exist? If not, i recon it would be great if someone could make one!
That's what I was thinking as well. It would be pretty great to have an entire Mediterranean rail network. (That's a hint for all the scenario designers...........). :)
davey917
Hobo

Unread post

I played with this idea a bit and found the biggest problem is the sheer size of the map!
Using the RT3 mapbuilder program, I started with a greyscale map of 1472 wide by 704 high (some 1,036,288 game cells :shock: ).

The maximum alowable in game is 1024 on a side, with a recommended maximum of 409,600 total cells.

To get under this 'limit' and maintain some sense of width/height ratios, 896 by 448 squeeks in at 401,408 total cells.
With some tinkering, I found a map combination of 832 wide by 384 high seems to keep a good W/H ratio and has 'only' 319,488 total cells.
However, at this reduction, the Straights of Gibralter is barely a river in width.

Also, with most of the southern portion of the map (Algeria, Lybia, and Egypt) comprised mostly of the Sahara Desert, cargo production is basically nill.

All of that said, I can definitely see where this could be a challanging scenario, from the right map maker. I'd be interested in what some of you talented people could do with it.
acorn_farmer_84
Brakeman

Unread post

in regard to the size of the map,
i would of thought it would end up being a similar size to the coast to coast/america through the ages/the civil war scenarios,
which cover all of the USA.
JayEff
Conductor

Unread post

With sea right in the middle, it would be interesting to see what the ports would do, especially ports on islands. At the right scale, you might see cargo streaming across, not needing rail at all.
canis39
Brakeman

Unread post

Am I sensing some interest, from the map-making subsection of the community?

I'd be happy to be a beta-tester...

davey917
Hobo

Unread post

JayEff wrote:With sea right in the middle, it would be interesting to see what the ports would do, especially ports on islands. At the right scale, you might see cargo streaming across, not needing rail at all.
I hadn't actually 'tinkered' that far, just a few roughly placed (& oversized) cities to try to get a sense of what the game's scale interpritation would be, but the ports would seem to make the whole thing tougher. With the exception of passengers & mail, would it be cost effective to transport freight, by rail, from Rome to Alexandria?

Of course, depending on the game years, making money would be the least of your 'problems'; Just getting the connections would be a massive undertaking.
acorn_farmer_84
Brakeman

Unread post

so, if someone does make this,
sounds like it would be quite challanging,
just what most of us seem to want!
Gwizz
CEO

Unread post

You can ring the Mediterranean with rail on the Roman Empire Map.
It is a long haul around that pond.
If I remember correctly, the shipping of cargo by boat didn't seem to be much of a problem to solve. It might be a good challenge if it was a problem.