Straight track vs careful grading

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
low_grade
Dispatcher

Straight track vs careful grading Unread post

Just wondering what everybody thinks the best track laying strategy is looking at straight tracks v careful grading. Sure, a lot of trains slow down when they hit a grade, but not so much if it's only a few sections, right? And trains also slow down when they hit a curve, though not nearly as much on a very broad radius curve. So what's better? How do you decide? Of course straight track gives you a shorter distance to cover as well. And I know it's hard to say in general because it really depends on the situation (what engines do you have available, etc.) I just noticed that I have a tendency to grade carefully (thus my nickname) and have recently been doubting the universal wisdom of that strategy.
Glaycyer
Hobo

Re: Straight track vs careful grading Unread post

I usually carefully grade, too ... but I think it counts on a lot of factors: the engine, the difference in grades, the distance, the cargo. I'm sticking to careful grading for now (it looks more pro). :-)
Click here to visit my deviantART gallery | Click here and nothing will happen
Grandma Ruth
CEO

I usually do careful grades and curves but I have been wondering if it really makes that much difference, certainly with the 20th century engines. Also I have sometimes made a steep, straight track to a logging camp or suchlike, where the train's coming down full and going up empty. Because, as people have pointed out elsewhere, RT doesn't recognise the fact that going down a steep grade is as slow as going up one in real life and so the journey down is actually much quicker than on the flat.
proudcanadian
Conductor

I typically try to find the straighest route, regardless of grade. Unlike RT2, where trains could take years to go over a 12.0 grade, in RT3, it seems that they have a much better climbing ability. That's not to say that I don't try to find the flattest route, but I prefer to go straight from town to town.
I don't drive a dogsled to work, I don't live in an igloo, and we're the SECOND LARGEST COUNTRY ON EARTH!!!
Sugus
Engineer

Usually, I'm doing it as straight as possible (to connect the cities as soon as possible).

But there is a marvelous exception: when playing Scrimshaw (by Taleisin) I carefully graded!
There's no business like RT business ...
low_grade
Dispatcher

Is that map in the archives? Doesn't ring a bell...
proudcanadian
Conductor

It was on the Railroad Tycoon Info website, which is where I downloaded it from, but since that's gone now, I don't know where you could find it. **!!!**
I don't drive a dogsled to work, I don't live in an igloo, and we're the SECOND LARGEST COUNTRY ON EARTH!!!
Glaycyer
Hobo

A little bit of net stalking provided this page: http://szliste.railroadtycoons.de/htm-s ... andere.htm

Is this the map that what you're talking about? (Scroll down to Scrimshaw) :-)
Click here to visit my deviantART gallery | Click here and nothing will happen
low_grade
Dispatcher

heh heh, stalking. unfortunately that link doesn't actually let you download anything as far as I can tell. So, how 'bout it Sugus? Still got scrimshaw on your HD? Wanna upload it to Hawk so we can all give it a spin? Anybody else hoarding maps that aren't in the hawkdawg archives?
low_grade
Dispatcher

Oh, and I've also been testing straight track vs carefully graded a little bit, and straight does seem to be doing better than I would have expected. Even an American loaded with 8 20-ton cars (sandbox) forced to go up over 3-grades at like 7mph seemed to do just as well as the fairly straight but slightly (10%) longer detour that let it stick to mostly 0 and 1 grades. Unfortunately the sandbox doesn't report things like fuel usage, and I don't remember if it listed water and sand either, so I can say aha! but the tough grade route will require me to stop for servicing more often and cost more in fuel. I also didn't get to compare track laying costs.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Here's the Scrimshaw map.
Scrimshaw.gmp.zip
(3.23 MiB) Downloaded 159 times
I have all the maps from RTI that aren't on my site yet. I just haven't had the time to get them added.
Hawk
Sugus
Engineer

@Hawk: I'm so sorry that I tend to produce so much scenario grabbing work for you! :-D
There's no business like RT business ...
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Sugus wrote:@Hawk: I'm so sorry that I tend to produce so much scenario grabbing work for you! :-D
It's been on my hard drive for a while. I just had to attach it to a post.
Hawk
OilCan
Engineer

FYI. Here's another website which has a couple of RT3 games.

http://railroadtycoon.medialint.com/#SCENARIOS

It also has a tutorial on making RT3 map scenarios.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Thanks for the link OilCan. I'll add it to my Links page. :salute:
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I've added this link to the Links page and sent an email to the owner. :salute:
Hawk